The Most Ignored Question In This Thread

Discussion in 'Silat' started by untouchable_cat, Nov 9, 2006.

1. untouchable_cat

untouchable_cat Banned Banned

:confused: :confused: SILAT, THE ONLY THING I KNOW ABOUT SILAT AS FAR AS FROM WEBSITE AND OTHER FORMS OF MEDIA IS THAT, FIRST OF ALL MY MAIN MAN BARAKA USES THIS ART, AND SECONDLY THAT IT IS FROM INDONESIA, OR MALAYSIA. THAT IS ALL I KNOW, WHAT IS THE DEAL??? HOW DO THE MASTERS OF THIS ART EXPECT TO GAIN CUSTOMERS IF NOBODY HAS AN EVEN REMOTE IDEA OF WHAT THIS ART COORDINATES IN IT. FIRST QUESTION, WHAT ARE SILAT'S PRIMARIES(KIND OF LIKE HOW MT ARE THE KNEES, FIST,SHINS, AND ELBOWS, AND TKD'S ARE THE LEGS) 2ND QUESTION HOW IS SILAT DIFFERENT THEN KARATE? IS THIS ART GREATLY EFFECTIVE ON THE STREET AND IN THE RING?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

3. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

You should look up the meaning of the word Baraka, other than a character in mortal combat, it may give you an insight.

Silat is not for sale, like MA's sold like burgers in McDojos, and belts given out like boy scout merit badges.

Silat student is not a customer.

Money is not the only price for Silat.

It is not a game, it is not a sport, it is not for street fighting.

Finally it is not necessarily the art but the practitioner who is effective or not.

Who is moving when you are "doing" karate?

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

some silat is fore sale,hence all the video tapes/dvds some people produce :)

5. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

Hi Fire Cobra

Yes, good for ideas, not for transmission. Some are even pretty good. Still its merchandising.

I am pretty sure you have heard it said:

"Kami beli, tapi kami tak dual"

"we buy, but we don't sell".

or something like that

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

hi anakmurid,yes i have heard that saying many times by my teacher,most of the time i was going flying over his knee or had a shocked look on my face!he he :)

7. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

We take but we don’t give, does not sound like a good philosophy if that’s what it means, it would amount to greed.

8. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

greed is a good thing to have in a fight... not giving anything to your opponent while you take things from them... like balance, concentration, a limb... better to take something when offered than to offer something you want to keep...

I find it silly how many martial artist think that martial arts are about fair fighting... I hate fighting because it implies my opponent has a chance... the morality of martial arts comes before and sometimes at the end of the fight... during the engagement it should be a one way stomping...

steve

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  9. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Greed is a manifestation of ego, he who has much greed has much ego. Ego is not what martial arts is about.
    The ancient samurai were famous in battle. One of the things they would attempt to do was to forget about self and it was that act which made them great in battle.
    Someone who is selfless is egoless and without greed or fear, that is what marks a good fighter.

10. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

Hi NArrue

No, that is not what it means, generally, but yes combatively. It has nothing to do with greed, but receiving (and destroying) what is offered, and offer nothing in return (unless of course, it is a decoy), taking space, and giving none etc etc etc. At least that is my understanding of this well known phrase in Silat circles.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  11. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Salam Anak Murid.
    The translation is correct, however, the meaning is deeper than that.
    We don't sell meant in general is we don't bragg, we don't initiate, we don't provoke and we don't invite anyone to fight.
    We buy meant If you are forcing me to fight, then we will. Now this is not as simple as that. Many different system have different SOP to fight. In my system, we only buy when it is necessary/ IT, or when my family or friend in danger, and/or my country ask me to fight.
    I think Mas Krisno or Mas Bram can elaborate more since they both Indonesian and their understanding the Indonesia language better than anyone in this forum.
    Tristan

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

orang jawa,that is exactly how my teacher explained it to me and my fellow students :)

13. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Jual or Djual not Dual nor Duel.

Terimakasih Mas Tristan....The word should be jual or if in Dutch spelling, djual and it means selling. The meaning is what Mas Tristan says.

In traditional circles it is seen as very bad behaviour to sell yourself, package yourself and say how good you are even if you are honestly stating the 'truth' because there is an understanding that the truth is 'di atas langit ada langit'. However good you are there will be someone faster stronger and better than you if not wait a while like Muhammad Ali.

A dalang might say Sura dira jaya ning rat lebur dening pangastuti The brave the strong the victorious in the universe are disolved by acts of love. Silat can not be only about killing and surviving in ancient combat unless one owns a time machine.

Salam
    Bram.

14. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

funny- in filipino martial arts, there's a similar saying:

"if you're selling, i'm buying."

15. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

In Indonesia it is more common to hear this saying in Betawi area : Lu jual, gue beli. You sell I buy.

Salam,
    Bram

16. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

Mas Tristan and Mas Kiai

Thank you both for once again educating me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  17. SundaWarrior

SundaWarrior Valued Member

Mas Bram,

May I ask you what system of Pencak you play?