What is Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Steel'91, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Steel'91

Steel'91 New Member

What is the art mainly composed of, striking, kicking etc. I heard it originated in India, am I right?

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

There are MANY threads here disputing, I mean discussing :) the origins of Silat.

However, the one I study is Indonesian. Silat covers striking, grabbling, and weapons. It covers standup, clinch, takedown, and groundwork. Its a fully rounded system which I cant say has any non trained aspects.

Why do you ask? Are you looking to begin, or just curious?

3. Steel'91

Steel'91 New Member

I'm mainly just curious, but if there was a school near by then I would be glad to add it to my training.

4. Moridin

Moridin New Member

Just Google. In these days that is the best opening technique. Silat is a huge family of styles spread over a huge, huge area of countries and islands. You might see 2 styles and recognize nothing similar in either.

So your question is too big to ask without starting at Google.

Although Wikipedia is often subjective, sometimes you can find "objective" definitions there. This one looks ok so far: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silat

Just remember that your question is too big to answer easily. I know it sounds silly, but there have been many debates about your question.Don't get sucked in!
    Even if you lived on that continent you could spent your live and still not see all styles of Silat. As the region has several religions and a long history, some Silat will have a distinct religious or cultural flavour.

Good luck.

PS I believe that if you see a many high kicks many times, it is not true Silat but ESPN Silat or MTV Silat. But that's my personal opinion. :)

5. Moridin

Moridin New Member

Donn F. Draeger
    The Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia (Paperback)
    ISBN : 0804817162

You can get it at Amazon, they have other books too.

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

a good book to start with indeed.

7. Garuda

Garuda Valued Member

In would recommend the book of Oong Maryono about pencak silat, this book gives in my opinion a better insight in PS.

Garuda...

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

With all due respect I ahve to disagree. Oong Maryono is certainly an insider - longtime Silat practitioner, Indonesian and all that. But his book has some pretty big axes to grind. It's very deprecatory of anything that isn't current IPSI-approved Silat, places a heavy emphasis on competition, and spends more time talking about the history of costume than things that would enlighten a person as to what Silat is about. He indulges in the straw man fallacy too much for my liking.

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Donn F. Draeger
    The Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia (Paperback)
    ISBN : 0804817162

This book is way easier to find in the states. It gives you a nice overview of traditional systems of Silat. It also covers weapons too. It's a good starter book to answer your posted question.

10. Moridin

Moridin New Member

I can't stand the IPSI = everything attitude and competition circus.

Not to say IPSI and competitions are bad. Silat is so old, how old is IPSI? They've been trying to make Silat a new Tae Kwon do or Karate, something that could become an Olympic sport. It's mostly bu$ine$$.

11. Wali

Wali Valued Member

By observing the European Silat championships held in the UK a few years ago, I would say mission accomplished.

12. silatliam

silatliam Valued Member

Yeah
    Totally agree with you Wali. As it made silat look so lauaghable to MMA guys

13. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

As it made silat look so lauaghable to MMA guys
    Forgive me for now knowing...what is MMA guys?
    Tristan

14. Orang Jawa

He indulges in the straw man fallacy too much for my liking.
    I like O'ong, I do respect his knowledge in silat and in silat competition. I agree in many ways of his writing and disagree to some. IMHO, he tried to mix match the old tradition and the new. I'm the oldguy, I like to keep it the way It was and I shared my knowledge to the few the way I was taught. I respect your opinion . The issue is always, any activities is largely organized by the few. It will not going to satisfy everyone. The best thing to do is to stay out and observe.
    And I could be wrong too,
    Tristan

15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Tristan,

That would be the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) guys. Your combined kickboxing-wrestling-bjj types.

16. Orang Jawa

I'm not going that far....I studied Japanese and Indonesian arts, I have never mix the two. We do alot of compare and contrast it the applications. A true a silat player will not mixed the two, I think :rolleyes:
    IMHO, when you have a good aged scotch (blue lable) you don't mix that with coke.... ;) so you can easily drink it. :cry:
    Tristan

17. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

it would be wonderful if some of the dutch -indo players would actually go to ipsi or actually visit indonesia to expeirence silat...dont you think?

18. Orang Jawa

To actually visit Indonesia would be nice....but not necessarily to join IPSI. Many silat elders or traditional perguruan in Indonesia did not get involved in Organized Silat. Many of them just enjoy being what they are. Don't really care if they are being recognized or not.
    Tristan