Silat-A complete combat system.

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Gajah Silat, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

I'd dabbled in a few martial arts before Silat including one that I was reasonable proficient at. However, I always felt disappointed. All form and no action if you will ;) And it all seemed so...er..rigid!

In comparison, after my first Silat class I thought, "this is it. This stuff works".
    I'd done hand drills, been on the receiving end of puter kepala, kuncian and limb destructions. Basically slapped around and plonked on my **** a lot :)

At last I got to practice a fighting system by actually doing some fighting.

Now further down the line the ingenuity continues to amaze me. Everytime I learn something new it fits with, and flows with everything else. That's pecahan, breaking open the fruit.

For me, on a technical level Silat is an incredibly effective and adaptable complete combat system that covers all eventualities. :D

Any thoughts?

Please keep this thread as a technical discussion dealing with combat only. No politics, history an so on :eek:

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I agree. Silat is a deadly art, its fluidity is rare, and very attractive. I enjoy how the destruction of your opponent is total, there is no half-ways with silat. There is a start, and an end, and all that passes in between is like water.

3. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

Its not that I'm into all of this sentimental BS but y'know,times like these...

Reading the posts here reminds me of how it was like when I was in my training session.(I'm in holiday right now,so the class will only resume after the holiday)

At first, we only watched our instructors who show us the buah,and later each of us will have "feel" the buah ourselves.(The instructors will do the buah on each of us)

Man, I miss all of those moments.I miss all of those slaps and punches and locking,chokes and the pain that came with it.I miss the hard,cold concrete floors where we practised and how my faithful kneepad absorbs all of the impact.

Although it is possible for me to practice the buah by myself (shadow practise),but I found it,kinda boring though (not that i would like to issue the challenge to everyone on sight just for practise)...

But I guess that's the only way I can cope with those feelings :cry:

again,sorry for those sentimental stuff :cool:

But yeah,for me Silat is either you love it or hate it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  4. Gajah Silat

To start I remember thinking. Woah, this stuff is just plain evil :eek:

As if a punch followed by an elbow, then thrown to the ground via a knee is not enough....after all that you can have someone drop their full bodyweight onto your face with their knee. Just for good measure like ;)

It can be proper nasty stuff :D

5. Jawara

Jawara New Member

As a practitioner of Silat for more than 35 years, I have this to say: Silat is what it is. Its no "better" or "worse" in terms of effectiveness than any other martial art. Furthermore, someone is either a fighter or he isn't, regardless of the style/system. A proficient judoka, karateka, gung-fu man, or jujutsu player with a mean streak is just as capable of handing you your ass as any silat player. So can someone who has had no formal martial arts training at all.

Throwing about terms like "Deadliest" "Most Brutal" "Combat Effective" "Most Fluid" etc. have more to do with marketing a product than anything else.

Years ago in Bogor, I interviewed many Sundanese masters from different aliran on various aspects of silat. Do you think that they sat around talking about whose system was the "Deadliest" or who was more fluid? It is the cultural context that gives the art its true beauty.

Too bad we can't seem to talk about that without degenerating into a flame war.

6. Gajah Silat

Aw come on Jawara :confused:

I don't think anyone was saying Silat is the deadliest MA! We certainly haven't turned it into one of those pointless xMA vs yMA arguements. However, not every art suits every individual. for me Silat works better and feels more natural than other arts.

I have never denied the cultural aspects of the art but surely not every discussion has to turn into an anthropology lecture :bang:

Can't a few guys just talk about their 'buah' with some enthusiasm for a change?

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I think I was struck by the fluidity though, and not from a marketing concept. You moved different than any of the arts I had previously studied. I completely agree with Gajah on that one. I was struck by how an art that seemed so beautiful could be so brutal at the same time.

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

With me it was more the teacher than the style. I saw what he was able to do and realized he wasn't any sort of physical superman. If he could do it and said it was the training, then I might be able to, too.

9. Jawara

Jawara New Member

Aw shucks Gajah, now you made me feel bad :eek: Sorry, bro. Friends?

I agree with you about the pecahan. I always felt like the Cimande juru-juru practice was more about turning your arms into ground beef (although I found out how wrong I was later on) but I always enjoyed the pecahan.

The way we did pecahan over there was usually after dinner when everyone was drinking kopi and smoking up a storm. Someone would start talking about a technique, then somewhere in there a punch would be thrown, and then it was ON!

How is it in your class Gajah?

10. Gajah Silat

Don't worry, I'm not easily upset :love:

Yeah, at work..."what are all those bruises on your forearms" :eek: Must have thought I was some kind of self harmer ;)

It's just me and my teacher at the minute. So mostly we do contact stuff together, but I try to perfect my langkahs etc at home between lessons. (They're not langkah gajah anymore ;) )

Mind you I start a new job next week so I wont be whiling away my time on the internet. :cry:

11. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

What does the word langkah gajah means? :confused:

12. Gajah Silat

Gajah=Elephant. I used to be a bit heavy footed :rolleyes: :D
    Just a joke!

13. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Jawara,

I don't want to get into a ****ing contest with you but you have got to be joking! Judo in the same league as Silat for combat?

All I'm going to say is anyone with any type of fighting knowledge or skill can be a formidable foe BUT that does not take away from the fact that there are styles/systems out there that are better for specific reasons than others such as health, sport, grappling, fighting and etc.

Silat is one that is specific for Self-Protection, Combat, Fighting or ever how you want to say it! I have studied and researched almost every style out there and in my line of work I need the best Combat Fighting Style available and due to Silat's movements, philosophy & techniques I find it to be the BEST at Combat Fighting hands down with Malay Kuntao coming in at a close second.

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

14. soulguru

soulguru New Member

just a query- what makes Malay Kuntao diffrent from "Silat"? Indonesia has silat that has 'kuntao' or kuntaw elements (the De thouars family has been very open/vocal on this); my silat is Tausug Silat-Kuntaw of Jolo, Sulu (Mindanao area- Philippine isles): Kuntaw techniques fused with Silat styles from indonesia & malaysia. as it is, malaysia is a south east asian country- it has silat all its own. just wondering if its "Kuntao" you're pointing to is really hardcore chinese-influenced, with no smattering of our beloved Malayan arts... i heard it may be in the spelling of the word: "KUNTAO" supposedly is purely chinese; "Kuntaw" is already a hybrid- with Silat/Malaysian styles fused in to create a smooth-flowing yet brutal art... well, hope a clarification/info on this be shared amongst us brothers... thanks & Salaam...

15. MasJudt

MasJudt New Member

I'll have to agree with Jawara... while not all systems are based upon the same goal (sport/combat/health) - a good player with a sadist streak is dangerous regardless of the merits of the training methodology.

I also concur that when I see people talk about 'deadliest', 'most fluid', 'most deadliest' etc. etc. or read diatribes about how 'you can only learn this from me..' - I just roll my eyes.

After 25 plus years of training, I've seen some amazing stuff. What I lack in talent or ability I make up in my ability to get around. And one thing I am certain of, if someone is describing themselves or thier made-up art this way... they are a tool.

16. MasJudt

MasJudt New Member

Let me clarify what I mean by a tool.

I have no issue with people 'creating' new methodologies... whatever. This is human nature.

But when someone advertise that 'super deadliest, super special' art - who are you selling yourself to? Not educated folks, most will be turned away by such talk. Not LEO's, as thier goal is NOT to kill the perp. Most military folks chuckle at that, and go right back to Muay Thai or somesuch thing.

There is an old saying "The empty barrel makes the most Noise." And this often true regardless of school or cultural orientation.

Mind you, there are ways to extol the virtues of your method, but coming across like twelve year-olds is not one of them.

17. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Could y'all discuss some specific techniques about Silat. I know next to nothing about it and it's hard for me to visualize the art off of general discussions.

18. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Soulguru,

Malay is not short for Malaysia it means all of the countries & islands in the vicinity of Malaysia, Indonesia & Filipines.

So what I meant was that Kuntao/Cun-Tao/Kuntaw from South East Asia that had the Silat combat flavor was a close second and NOT a Chinese kuntao style from China or wherever that looked like straight up Kung Fu.

Hope this clarifies things.

Sincerely,

19. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

MasJudt,

I agree, just like a psycho with a knife that knows no fighting art is probably more dangerous than the above BUT that is individualism and not the product of an art/system/style.

I don't buy all the political correctness crap about all styles being equal!

Anyone that has had to learn a fighting style to stay alive or do there job effectively knows that there are arts better for this purpose and which is why these individuals seek out these specific fighting arts.

So my question to you and Jawara is then if all styles are equal WHY are you studying Silat and not Judo or Tae Kwon Do?

Sincerely,

20. Gajah Silat

Certainly the style I learn is an excellent combat system. It is not just a.. for example, upright system. It covers all eventualities and is very adaptable. It does actually work and therefore in my opinion it is 'better' for me at least than other styles I have trained in.

On another level it did develop in response to other arts. For example, we have specific techniques to deal with Muay Thai attacks.

It is also very effective against a Western 'pub' attack, which is the most likely scenario for a lot of us. Let's face it I'm more likely to be faced with a drunken haymaker than a roundhouse kick on a friday night.

I was trying to start a discusion on why Silat is a complete system. I never said it is the deadliest etc. but it does cover all areas, whereas a lot of other arts are restricted to X or Y style of fighting.

It works for me anyway :)