Health and Fitness Advice for Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Daniel84, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Daniel84

Daniel84 Valued Member

Slightly divergent but i'll ask it here anyway, well i signed up to the school and as such get all classes in any of the arts free. tonight after my thai class i went to the submissive wrestling class. Again i really enjoyed it and it gave me an absolutely killer workout.

The only thing is that my body is unfit to the point that it was a huge struggle for me during the lesson I obviously need to increase my cv endurance, i know this is health and fitness really but i just need such a basic answer it seems pointless creating a new thread. I know my endurance will increase with time when taking these lessons but I wondered if anyone would consider it beneficial to undertake more conditioning outside of the class? maybe 30 minutes every morning. If so, if you were starting out on the road to building your fitness up what exercises (bodyweight -equipment is just a skipping rope + pullup bar) and for what duration would you guys go?

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Not a waste of time at all and I think this probably is best answered by the regulars in Health and Fitness. So I'll split it off and send it their :D

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57786

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Just to clarify... I think it was a submission wrestling class you attended. You certainly wouldn't want to be a submissive wrestler. :p

4. Daniel84

Daniel84 Valued Member

hehe, no my submissive wrestling is strictly weekends only :p

5. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Conditioning outside of class will be very beneficial. You just have to decide how to go about it. I like to model my drills around the competition standards, so I use a lot of 3 minute drills with 1 minute rest for 5-15 rounds. I have 1/2 a dozen 'ring drills' posted around here somewhere. I've never been a fan of running, so 20 minutes is about all the fun I can stand. However, I try to cram in as much distance into that little time as possible, my current goal is to run 3 miles in 18 minutes.

Ross Enamait (rossboxing.com) has a nice article on burpee conditioning. Personally I like 8-count bodybuilders, but to each their own.