Your Daily Diet that Works

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FrankCefalu, Oct 13, 2003.

1. FrankCefalu

FrankCefalu New Member

My workout routine at home involves 5 sets of 20 pushups, 5 sets of 20 leg lifts, 5 sets of 20 sit ups with 25 pound weights, 5 sets of arm curls with a 40 pounder, 2 sets of 20 knuckle pushups, 3 sets of 20 inclined push ups, I work my tricpes with 3 sets of 20 on the 30 pounder. This is a daily workout routine for me.

For every Mon Wed, I do my daily workout orutine plus the gym. I do chest workouts involvign 130 pound weights, i then work out my stomache with the machine they got using 130 pounds for 15 reps, and as i go higher i decrease the amount of reps. Basically I do everything in the gym. I do cardio 5 minutes on the ski. ya, lol.

2. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

Diet tips

Cut down on processed sugar.

Fill up on healthy stuff first

Drink lots of water (dont be afraid to drink a gallon a day)

Carbs...so much attention on carbs today.
    Think of your food as time release energy.
    Some things will give you energy now some later...so much later.
    Honey and fruits will give you energy quick.
    Things like pasta will give you energy in about 10-12 hours. So dont avoid pasta just time it right.
    Example...eat them at night. Yes at night...forget that "you have all day to burn them off" crap...you dont cause they havent kicked in yet.
    Have them at nigth so you have energy in the am.
    Also...large carb meals will make you insulin spike an make you tired. Do you want to be tire at work after lunch or at night when you getting ready to sleep????

Cycle your diets like you (should) cycle your training.
    The body adapts, this is why people get good results from a new diet in the first 2 months and then little or none there after.

I also like something close to The Warriors Diet (there is a book on it).
    This and Atkin's is not new stuff....it goes back to research doneby the Greek military.
    What made Alexander the Great so great.... the phalanx, scale armor, combined arms (new strategies) and DIET (move / march efficiently no big down times for meals accept night, a certain level of slight hunger increases awareness...hunting / fighting.....).

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Nutrition should be easy not only to understand but also to live with. Fact is, it isn't for some ...
    Many people just stuff food in their mouths without even knowing what is in it! Now that almost every food product must have the necessary nutritional information on it, take advantage of it!

An example is yogurt. In nonfat or light yogurt, we get about 90 to 100 calories per serving. Not bad. But if you look closely at
    regular yogurt, it can clearly be discovered that there are over twice as many calories for the same portion size!
    So, 2 light yogurts=1 regular yogurt
    The artificial sweeteners in the light yogurt make it possible to reduce the amount of carbs, and thus calories, without sacrificing taste at all.

Look at the information on the back of all food products and take a huge step toward better eating habits.

Most people eat carbs all day long and into the wee hours of the night without paying any attention to protein. Get more protein! Think of protein as the toolbox for the body and carbs as the immediate fuel.
    We get too much of this fuel which, by the way, can cause severe problems over the years such as diabetes. So substitute some of your daily carbs with foods that contain a higher protein content.

Look at the labels!
    Here are some examples of protein rich foods as well as carbohydrate rich foods:

protein - turkey, chicken, beef, cottage cheese, fish, beans, protein powders.

carbohydrates - breads, rice, potatoes, cereal, ships, candy, regular soft drinks, donuts.

And fat is good!
    That doesn't mean rush to McD's and commence guzzling mass amounts of super-sized Big Mac meals down your throat until the natural volume capacity of your stomach screeches to a halt.

...and now for my favorite word! Moderation!

That's all you have to remember. Super-sized meals are a major no, no. Here's why, in simplistic terms. Basically, when you eat, food is utilized as energy for bodily functions, so when a huge amount of food is ingested, the body uses the extent it needs to function and stores the rest. Make sense? However, how does the body store this energy? FAT. So, when you gorge down five hamburgers and a soda, the body is going to take what it needs and pack the rest right down there in that "problem area."

A good way to prevent this is to keep yourself from getting ravenously hungry. Pick good snack(protein) throughout the day for in between meals. I love protein bars!!!

Most people eat dinner and have four to five hours until bed time ... this is when an attack of the munchies sets in. They are not a bad thing. Think of them as a helper to remind your body to keep your metabolism going and, in effect, burn more fat!
    The term munchies has become associated with chips, popcorn, or any high-carb snack. I disagree with Jeff here.
    Not an intelligent late night snack. Think of it like this: Carbs are the body's immediate source of energy. So, when you eat a lot of them, the body uses them right away to fuel all activities. Now, what happens to carbs if the body does't need them right way, like at nighttime when you sleep? It stores them! And what does it store them as? Fat! Get the picture!

The point is that a low carb, high protein snack at night is ok. Again, look at labels, especially until you get a sense of what foods have what in them.

Good Snacks:
    1. Cottage Cheese - High in Protein, low in carbs. Eat lowfat or nonfat to cut the calories.
    2. Beef Jerky - Yep. The same beef jerky that has been at the checkout counters all the time! Just check the labels to make sure it isn't fat-filled. A little fat is okay, but some are really bad. Makes a great snack in between meals!
    3. Eggs whites - perfect protein. Having a 5 egg white + 1 full egg omelett for a snack once in a while is good.
    4. Tuna - high in protein and low in carbs Make sure you get it in water, not oil.
    5. Turkey - Turkey is an excellent, lean meat. Stick to the white meat in order to stay away from excess amount of fat.

The five wonderful miracle foods that make great high protein, low carb. snacks and meals. Happy eating!

4. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

"Carbs are the body's immediate source of energy"

Complex carbs likes the ones I mentioned (like pasta) take 10 -12 hours to turn into energy.
    Thats why marathon runners load up on pasta the nigth before and eat fruits during the race...cause the fruits are quick.
    Some are so quick they can act sublingully...like oranges and honey. Try a spoon full of honet before class.
    The more complex the carb the longer it will take (usually) to turn into energy.

Read labels...yes.
    Alot of people eat yogurt thinking its good...but some are loaded with processed sugar.

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 31, 2003
  5. hwarang

hwarang Guest

i just eat what i want - i just train a lot to compensate

just go to training more often

however, i have noticed that you won't lose weight when you train - you may lose the body fat, but because muscle is heavier than fat, you may stay the same weight or even gain weight as you train more

6. cioGium

cioGium New Member

I did a search on google on complex carbs and is a bit confusing....:(
    Can you please enumerate some complex carbs for us Jeff.

Thank you.

p.s.even if you are going to tell me some complex carbs i'll still sue you if i won't do better than cain in the push-up contest!:p