Wrestling strength training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wolverine47, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Wolverine47

Wolverine47 Valued Member

I am currently on the football and wrestling teams for my high school. I have about 3 weeks between football and wrestling season. My question is what type of strength training should I do in those three weeks to regain some of the strength I've lost during football? I started football at around 203 and I currently weigh in at around 196, and I wrestle 189 but I typically lose around 5-6 lbs. before weigh-ins.

2. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

deadlifts, front squats, clean and press, bench press, dumbell swings, turkish get ups, pull-ups, tabata burpees, running sprint intervals and wrestling practice. Not all in one workout though!

Example workout

Monday- Deadlifts front squats clean and press 3 sets of 8

Wednesday- Bench press 3 sets of 8, dumbell swings until fatigue, and 3x5 turkish get ups.

Friday- pullups 3 set of max, tabata burpees, 30sec. jog 30sec. sprint.

Sunday- wrestling practice.

This should do but if all else fails... :google:

ps. Don't forget to increase your protein intake and take a multi vitamin (no iron) daily! And lets not forget about fish oils! :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  3. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

4. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

You need to ask yourself a couple of questions first:

How's my conditioning, strength now and where do I want it to be?

Did I hardly ever gas in football but wrestling is kicking my butt? increase SPP

Hows my fexibility? I'm guessing you need to be more flexible for wrsetling then football.

etc.

5. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'm with Sick. 3 weeks isn't a lot of time to make improvements. Are you going to be weight training during wrestling season?

Also, conditioning for wrestling is pretty hardcore...at least good coaches will really push their athletes.

That being said, I'd concentrate on HIIT and interval sprints similar to what you'd find in a wrestling match. Also GPP stuff like sledgehammer swings, keg throws, and car pushing.

Then work on whole body strength like turkish getups, 1 arm db snatches, deadlifts, RDLs, push presses, squats, and power curls. I really like Dan John's slosh pipe workout.

6. Orphox

Orphox New Member

I think for wrestling the best thing is the rowing machine, sit-ups and chin-ups - legs, back and legs... You could add some more exersices, but these are basic