Workout for a 15 year old martial arts legend wannabee!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by taekwonguy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Prove to me the 5x5 isn't worth it and I'll gladly ship you my car and mtorcycle. I've been using this to build up guys and they are stronger, faster and more explosive. Keeping reps low but adding more reps makes it easier to develop the proper form without the worry of fatigue setting in which could focus no form breakdown.

You forgot one thing to mention kid, to put on mass 80% of the battle is EATING repeat EATING. Which wouldmean, since the original poster is a 15 year old with the metabolism of a a revving lamborghini, anything that is within range and edible is fair game.

2. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i never said 5x5 "isn't worth it", i said there are situations where 5x5 is not the answer. if i've got a guy who's completely new to lifting, i have him do reps in the 8-12 range...it makes more sense than just jumping to 5x5, because the weight is lighter, it helps them get used to handling the weight and using correct form, and it helps them build a solid base in terms of mass.

no matter how many times i read this, it doesn't make sense.

i didn't "forget" to mention eating. yes, obviously diet is a huge factor; it always is, no matter what your goals are. that doesn't mean that suddenly his workout plan doesn't matter. someone who eats a ton and does a higher rep workout is going to put on more mass than someone who eats a ton and does low reps.

3. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Keeping reps low prevents fatigue from causing form break.

I have seen more than 30 guys i a span of 6 months pack on 20 lbs of muscle naturally using the 5x5 as a foundational routine. Nothing wrong with the 8-2 rep range, but I just think 5x5 is better. Besides, at the end of the day, its the results that matter. And seeing a good share of guys turn into bigger, leaner and faster athletes in the past months isn't called results, I don't know what you can call it.

4. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

but Bruce Lee trained to perfect himself constantly, at 15years of age you body is still growing, you cannot compare yourself to him at all.

5. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

yes i know so i've got plenty of time to work on it and i've got the dedication. at the moment i cannot afford to go to a gym more than twice a week on sat and sun as i am doing my GCSE's!

6. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

err isnt it summer hols?

7. taekwonguy

I am going on holiday for two weeks on sunday and the have half a week before school

8. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

alright, well i personally think that it's easier to keep your form together when you're using less weight, but maybe that's just me. when i was learning to overhead squat, for example, i did not stack a bunch of weight and go 5x5, i did a few sets of 12 with less weight. that makes a lot more sense to me, but apparently it doesn't to you, so i'm going to quit because we're not getting anywhere.

9. taekwonguy

so could anyone give me a workout plan i can spend about an hour or two a night using two 5kg dumbells? and maybe a little cardio? my stretching program is perfect: Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz

10. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Now this I don't agree with. Experience will only take you so far in changing your perception and beliefs in Weight training and exercise, if I already know what works best what good is doing it for an extra 10 years going to achieve? In the couple of years since I started getting into fitness (I'm 16) I've experimented and tried everything I had to try to make my mind up about the important points of Weightlifting, exercise and nutrition (to some extent). Sure experience makes me wiser but unless Human bodies change what works best wont.

And before you say it, I fully agree with low reps/sets and heavier weights (I seem to be one of the few who does around here). I normally go for 3x3-5 (I even tried 2x3-5 last week on advice of a friend, I'm skeptical but he is pretty big).

I also agree on the eating factor, which I mentioned in the first post on this thread.

You have to listen to the advice. 5kg dumbells, in a full body workout, are going to do NOTHING. Sure you might be able to do some wrist curls or lateral raises with a bit of pain on the 12th rep but they will be useless for just about everything else, which cuts core exercises like deadlifts and bench presses out of the question, which you need. Unless you're prepared to go to the Gym (or buy a decent dumbell/barbell set) forget gaining any kind of lean mass.

11. taekwonguy

ah thats a shame thanks for your help anyway guys

12. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

Hi taekwonguy. I'd started lifting weights seriously when I was at your age.

May I recommend you buy some magazines on exercise, weightlifting and such? It's always nice to have some theory/extra knowledge.

I would suggest you start off with some simple/baisc exercises. You don't have to use very much weight. Of course you will have to feel your muscles working. But I think right now you should just get to know the basic principles behind working out with weights.

Remember that you get more muscles when you do an exercise CORRECT with less weight, than if you do the exercise sloppy with lots of weight.

PS: There are a lot of people who lift weights in a very wrong manner. If I were you I would buy some magazines and listen to what the pro's have to say, and implement what you can into your training.

Most likely those you will see at the gym will have many weird theories. Be careful with who you listen to.

Also, and this is really important:
    Remember that sleep, rest and food intake is just as important as training, and you should focus on this just as much as your training.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  13. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Please not the magazines. they're the worst place for info. We have a h&f Library which is a mile better

14. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Twice a week is good enough for the meantime

15. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Just wondering, is there some specific reason why you can't attend a Gym?

If there is and you're really serious about getting Muscle, your only decent option is to save up and get a decent dumbell or barbell set (I'd go with a dumbell set for more versatility), or try and get it for your Birthday/Christmas. Parents are always more inclined to buy things if they are to do with keeping you healthy ;) I had first hand experience, my younger Brother is overweight so my Uncle bought us a £600 treadmill on the promise that we, or at least he, would use it everyday.

16. The Decay of Meaning

Why not?

h&f?

And why are national champions (who are regularily interviewed in these magazines about their methods, exercises etc.) worse info than Joe or Jack at the gym?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  17. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Becuase we have a wealth of useful free information in here. :D All he needs and more!

18. The Decay of Meaning

Ah, true, the internet is a great resource.
    And he could also read from the experts, watch videos of how exercises are performed (for some it can be easier than just watching pictures) etc.

19. taekwonguy

ok so how about i continue with my workout since i've got nothing better to do and I go to the gym for 2 hours on a saturday and sunday? any suggestions of workout plans?

20. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

If you are going to go the gym you should go at least twice a week, but don't go on consecutive days as it doesn't allow you to reach the peak recovery point in myofybril overcompensation. Try and even the gaps so you have a Monday and Thursday workout for example.