Workout for a 15 year old martial arts legend wannabee!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by taekwonguy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Do you mean what does LMAO mean or why am I LMAO?

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Eating less calories than required while growing will stunt your growth, not weightlifting per se. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Your bone structure is aligned to take the shock force of jumping as is all the tissue that supports it. Pushing/lifting weights exerts a different type of pressure. This is why with the fist aligned correctly you can break hard objects such as bricks or wood with no ill effects whereas incorrectly aligned you can break bones in your hand or wrist.

Whatever the differences of opinion here on this (I can't help but note from young weightlifters so far), I hope we all agree that if you are going to do weight training it should be (initially at least) under the professional supervision of someone who is aware of your physical and mental state and what you want to achieve.

3. Beowolf

Beowolf Valued Member

Apparently, I've misunderstood you. But you've also misunderstood me.

If you lift and eat like 3 men, it most likely won't stunt your growth if your past your "shooting up like a rocket" phase. EX: I'm 5' 9'' ish, lift heavy, and eat like a wildabeast. I've been assured by 3 top notch (and I mean top notch SUNY Stonybrook) docs that it won't effect my further growth.

Sorry if you thought I was arguing with you. I agree mostly with what you've said.

4. John Titchen

I didn't think you were arguing with me.
    The important thing you've pointed out there is your eating habit and where you think you are in your growth phase.
    I don't mind people arguing, so long as both people have valid things to say. :D

5. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

@ Karate Princess:

both

6. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Oh right hehe, sorry...

LMAO = Laugh my a*** off (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say it)

I'm laughing my butt off because I thought what Skrom said was slightly amusing, I always type LMAO even if I'm not actually laughing my butt off, but just let out a giggle.

7. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

lol ok, but Bruce Lee was the ultimate martial artist. he is an example to us all, for example cross training! Inspiration, there are those who are jealous and therefore insult him.

8. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I like Bruce Lee because of his dedication, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you're not dedicated you will never be the best that you can be. It is a shame that he died, I would have loved to have seen what he looked like or what he'd be doing now.

9. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

this thread is starting to suck pretty badly.

jwtitchen - i don't want to see your certificate. my point was that athletic trainers in general have a very bad reputation for not knowing what the hell they're talking about. i'm not going to say that you don't know what the hell you're talking about, because quite honestly, i have no idea what you're even trying to say at this point.

first you say that lifting weights will stunt his growth. then you say that lifting weights will not stunt his growth, but eating less will (what gives you the idea he'll be eating less?). then you actually recommend that he lifts weights, which is exactly what i was suggesting and what you were arguing against in the first place. on top of that, you say that he's got 5-8 inches to grow? he's 5'10, his father was 6'1, and his mother was 5'7...but you expect him to be 6'3 at the very least?

i backed up my viewpoint at least as much as you backed up yours. no, saying "i have a certificate" doesn't count as backing up your viewpoint. i said that screwing up your form and/or using way too much weight can damage your growth plates, but aside from that, there's no way that lifting will stunt your growth.

taekwonguy: one more nutriding comment about how bruce lee is the greatest martial artist of all time and i'll hunt you down without a second thought. get back on topic or stop posting or whatever, but no more bruce lee in this thread.

10. John Titchen

I appear to have misunderstood you as much as you misunderstood me. What I said was that

As I clarified on subsequent posts I see two issues, one is doing too heavy weight training in a growth spurt and the other is insufficient nutrition in the same period (most people don't realise how much they have to eat to sustain muscle growth and this is further affected if you are growing fast through puberty as well - hunger and actual dietary needs are two different things). One can damage the bones, the other can stunt growth. If I was unclear about this then I apologise. I wasn't arguing against weights full stop, I was advising caution and seeking medical and professional advice. The weight regime I recommended is a light and steady one, not a maximum bulk up or strength increase one. I got the impression you were advising towards the latter - sorry if I got that wrong.

I made a mistake on the height thing, thinking he was 5 9 not 5 10 (9 stone straight afterwars is what did it). I'm no expert on growth proportion to parentage but anywhere between 1 and 4 inches taller than his father is what I'd expect (especially given the tall relations) and seems to be the trend I've observed while being involved in secondary education.

Much as I admire Bruce Lee for what he achieved in his life, I'll happily join you on the hunt if there is any more nutriding on one thread. :D

11. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

I personally believe lifting weights at a young age (I'm not saying 15 is the young age I'm talking about) is bad for you. Since your Bones, joints, ligaments and muscles are still growing and shaping that regular pressure of heavy weight exercises and Squats can't be good for you. I'm not saying I think it shapes bones, I just think over a prolonged period of time it may interfere with natural adolescent growth.

Just my opinion.

12. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

well i still don't agree with you when you say that heavy weights can "bend your bones", but i guess it doesn't matter as long as you're not against him lifting. i also think he should be doing a 3x10 type program for awhile, so i guess we agree on the important things at least.

13. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I think Bruce Lee was AWESOME...

As to the other stuff - like what the thread is meant to be about...

Well...

Nobody has mentioned yet the KEY to any form of physical training...

The inner game...

You have GOT to find a regime that works for YOU and that gives you a BUZZ - that and arguably that alone is the greatest single factor in putting on muscle, taking off weight or WHATEVER....

OK my evidence base...

There are a gazillion people who do body building, martial arts, whatever. Many of them have fitness regimes that have worked WONDERS for them. Many of those regimes are contradictory in the extreme. It's the MINDSET that is the over-riding factor...

Discuss... :) :) :)

All the best.

Robert.

14. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

didn't see this earlier. i don't understand why you're sharing your opinion if you know next to nothing about this kind of stuff (i'm talking about that thread with the gymnast video), but i'll explain it real quick.

stunted growth is caused by damage to the growth plates. the growth plates are pretty much only damaged by some sort of trauma, like getting slammed or tackled or hit by a car or whatever. having a barbell on your back and squatting with good form for a grand total of probably 20-30 seconds before taking a break is not going to come even remotely close to damaging your growth plates. to damage your growth plates through weightlifting, you would pretty much have to load up a barbell, stand up on a box, and jump off with no intention of landing on your feet; even then it's a gamble.

there's a bunch of info on growth plates at this site if you want more: http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/growth_plate/ffgrowth.htm

15. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

I'm 17 years old, I weigh 226 lbs, bench 365 lbs, and squat 405 lbs, I started lifting at the age of 13 or 14, there is nothing wrong with lifting at the age of 15.

All right, heres my opinion. Get in the gym and start a bodybuilding routine. You do not want to do a powerlifting routine due to flexability issues (you lose flexibility anyways whenever you pack on muscle).

Because you want to maintain flexability for your martial arts do extensive stretching before and after your work out.

Start with basic lifts like bench, powerclean, squat, ect. But keep in mind, because a bodybuilding routine is ideal for your situation you want to keep the routine set at low weight and many reps (example: Bench-4x20 with 85 lbs).

Because you are young you still have those raging hormones, now is the ideal time to lift weights, because those hormones allow you to gain muscle mass faster than normal (almost like steriods), so get in the gym A.S.A.P.

And Good Luck :D

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

What happend to jackie chan and tony jaa?

17. Edwyn Lilac

Edwyn Lilac New Member

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but what's a stone?

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Do you know whats funny! Im 15 years old, im a 5 foot 8 female, Do taekwon-do, Do weight lifting at the gym, have abs and weigh 100 kg! Why do you want to have muscles like bruce lee so much? I remember when I was 12 and I wanted to look like spider-man! I bet if a sumo kicked you it would feel getting smashed by a bus, how about Gen. choi? He didn't have muscle like bruce lee and he could pack a punch! (unless you can find a picture for me and prove me wrong) lol. Besides bruce lee trained hard because he was acting in movies. I wouldn't follow bruce lee in the area of weight lifting. Go to a personal trainer at a gym and he/she will tell you what exercises are best for you.

19. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

This is what annoys me, kids giving advice when they haven't spent enough time in the mat and weight room. Doing a bodybuilding routine for a martial artist is bad, bad in the sense like sending little boys and girls to play with Michael jackson bad.

Read the sticky I posted. Don't worry, height is genetically dictated and your nutrition and lifestyle will only take it further or lower.

20. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

um...no. gaining some mass isn't going to kill you. there are situations where 5x5 is not the answer, and this is one of them. bodybuilding routines are especially appropriate for new lifters who still need to work on their form...more reps = more practice and less risk.

of course, when i say "bodybuilding routine", i'm not talking about exerpts from muscle and fiction or some equally stupid magazine. a bodybuilding routine is just a routine where the primary goal is to gain muscle, and that usually involves higher reps.