Workout Books for ladies?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JaxMMA, Oct 22, 2009.

1. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

My girlfriend asked me for a good workout book, but she wasn't very interested in "Infinite Intensity" which I suggested :)
    Any suggestions on a decent book for ladies?

Thanks.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

on a more serious note, there's no way to tell what kind of exercise book she might like, so i think you'd be better off getting her to enroll in some MA or even something like pilates or yoga to get fitter.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Find out what her goals are and then get her to train in the appropriate way to acheive them. There is no real difference in the way women should train from how men train. Make sure she understands that by training the same way men do, she won't turn into some Arnie lookalike she-man.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

there is one blog she should be following on a regular basis:

http://www.stumptuous.com/

Some great info on there. Seriously. I'm a bloke and I follow it on a regular basis.

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/exercise_instruction

Did you read that right... yes you did... 'don't FEAR the free weights' that right there says a lot about the mindset of the blog.

I'm working my way through Infinite Intensity right now... but it's not for everyone. The way Ross writes isn't always easy for many people to get through... not nearly as dry or as awkward and Pavel... but he's an acquired taste.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. Frodocious

Thanks for the Stumptuous link Slip. I'd completely forgotten about that site. It is a brilliant site, with great advice for women (and men)!

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I always refer to Stumptuous,there are great sections on there which deal with such things as the "she hulk" myth and the bull that gym instructors spin you.

8. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

What's wrong with she-hulk? ;)

Attached Files:

9. JaxMMA

lol haven't tried suggesting this one :)

She doesn't seem to be particularly interested in doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc. Her goal is to just "tone" muslces (don't flame me tho :)) and just stay in shape.

Thanks for the link I'm checking it now.

10. Frodocious

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Silly woman, squats, deads etc will 'tone' (I really hate that term!) her and help get her in shape! Have you though about getting her to do squats etc with dumbbells rather than barbells? In my experience, women seem to have less issues with dumbbell exercises than they would have with barbells. Start her with light weights doing squats, deads, OHPs, benching and rows and then gradually increase the weights to something useful. If she's done aerobics classes she may already have used dumbbells, so they won't fill her with dread. Do you have Infinite Intensity? If you do look at some of the workouts Ross uses in that and tone them down a bit for her.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

you could also try to explain to her that "tone" is actually a BS fitness gimmick word that means "lose fat and build muscle," a concept I've attempted to explain to many women with minimal success.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Have a look on stumptuous at the myths concerning "tone" . That will stop her using the term ever again :D

13. JaxMMA

She had a back injury few months ago so squats feel a bit uncomfortable, but she does (with dumbbells) lunges, step-ups, side steps,etc. Seriously doubt she'll be doing deadlifts anytime soon :) Yes I do have Infinite Intensity and tried going thru workouts with her, trying to make them more "female friendly". She wasn't very interested.

I gave up on trying to explain tone hype to women. Just isn't worth it :Alien:

Gave her the link last night. First response this morning was "how come there are no workouts with machines?" :bang:

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

This should keep her fit:running:

Attached Files:

15. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

karma sutra?

*ducks*

16. Frodocious

If she's just getting over a back injury, then perhaps you should look at some pre-hab mobility work to try to prevent a re-occurance of the injury.

http://www.inside-out-warm-up.com/

http://www.magnificentmobility.com/

:bang: Get a new girlfriend! ;) :)

17. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Frodo, are you so desperate that you must try to steal other gals boyfriends via MAP? :evil:

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

As I've posted before. Frodo can have any man she chooses. She knows BJJ;)

19. Frodocious

Well, I'm getting on a bit you know, can't blame a girl for trying! ;) :)

Tis true! Although, I have chosen a cat (its easier to throw out when it annoys me). :)

20. JaxMMA

Haha :D

Thx for links Frodo.