Work in progress routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Strafio, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

I've not lived an active life.
    As young as 15/16 I was starting to feel heavy on my feet, rather than spring with us much energy as I wanted.
    Since then, my life as become even more sedentary, especially with a job where I sit still in a chair for about 8 hours a day.
    So now I often find myself feeling more and more like a creaking old machine and want to get some energy back into my life.
    I've tried running but because I've had a history of my knee "giving way" I've not gotten too far in that - I've injured too easily.

Instead, I've decided to try an approach of strength+fitness through bodyweight training.
    My main goal is to become strengthen my legs to the point where I move like a butterfly, and will be able to run confidently again.
    But I want my program to be well rounded over all.
    So far I have bought Coach Sommer's "Building the Gymnastic Body" book which gives lots of exercises and progressions to try but leaves the routine design very open ended.
    Here's what I have at the moment:

I would do it on Mon (Set A), Tues (Set B), Thurs (A), Friday (B)

Warm Up
    I'm in dire need of suggestions here - I don't even know where to start.
    Sommer's book says joints and flexibility should be worked on from day one.
    Perhaps this is a good place in the routine?

Static Positions
    Headstand - 6 X 10s
    Frog Stand - 6 X 10s
    L-Sit PB tuck- 6 X 10s
    L-Straddle - Bent - 6 x 10s

From here I would alternate between 2 sets depending on the day.
    Set A Set B
    Dips PB Negative 3 x 3 Wall Handstand Negatives 3 x 3
    V Tuck 3 X 5 V Tuck 3 X 5
    Arch Ups 3 X 5 Side Arch Ups 3 X 5
    Deck Squat 3 x 5 Single leg squat negative 3 x 3

From here I might do a couple of endurance exercises:
    Press ups - 2 x 20 + a third set of as many as I can
    Air Cycling - 3 x 1 min
    Any suggestions here?

Cool Down
    Again, I need suggestions here.
    I don't have a clue.

Other questions:
    I currently wake up, go straight to work, some home and then eat.
    This means, given that I let my food go down, that I don't exercise until last thing before bed.
    Does anyone recommend against that?

Anyone have any recommendations on diet/supplements?
    Things to eat just before or just after exercise?
    I currently take "Projoint" - Glucosamine + Omega 3 - mainly with my knee in mind.

Thanks in advance.

2. pecks

pecks Valued Member

I'd say a good start would be:

* some cardio - anything really. I like skipping, easily done in the living room. Or shadow-boxing, that's another good one.
    * press-ups (4 x 20), sit-ups (4 x 40) and squats (4 x 20). Numbers just for guidance really.
    * stretch out at the end

This would be the minimum I would do at home.

I try to exercise first in the evening, then eat after. I just find it better that way - not exercising on a full stomach.

3. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

To avoid the full stomach, I'd usually exercise about 3-4 hours after eating - pretty much just before I went to sleep.

That suggestion you gave, was that an entire workout or just to be added to what I already wrote?

4. pecks

pecks Valued Member

Just a suggestion of some basics really. If you like what you're doing already, why not add to it?
    I think what I really wanted to say was, without a gym, you should be doing some cardio, definitely something with your legs (squats, squat-thrusts, etc), then something like sit-ups/core work, and some press-ups. This way, you have a pretty good work-out of the main muscles.

5. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Okay.
    So I could put the skipping in as a warm up and the sit ups/press ups just before stretching off.
    Got any recommendations on what stretches to do at the end?

6. Topher

Topher allo!

What's with the name change?

Anyway... I pretty sure you would want to add some weights into that routine. Body weight exercises are only useful for so long.

7. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Strafio just had one syllable too many.
    Looked okay on the screen but wasn't so good on the tongue.
    With weights, so far I'm suckered into some bodyweight propaganda that bodyweight exercises are ultimately superior! ;)
    I think that the argument is that by giving your arms/legs a disadvantage in leverage you can increase the effort they are doing as if they were lifting heavier weights.
    They also allow you to work multiple muscle groups and skills in one go, as well as skills such as balance.
    I'll give it a go for now and if I ever get to the point where I feel like my workout is missing something I'll probably add some weights in.

Anyhow, where have you been?
    I posted those arguments in the "Ideal Theist" topic as you requested and you never responded! :(

8. Topher

Topher allo!

The problem with bodyweight routines is eventually you get stronger, and your weight isn't enough, so the exercises becomes futile. It's not either/or though.

I'll leave it for the more knowledgeable members to explain however.

Yeah I'm far too busy at the moment for these big debates. Sorry.

9. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

If your bodyweight becomes too light for a lift with good leverage, you simply find a position with bad leverage, so it takes more effort as if you were lifting more weight.
    That said, there's no need for us to debate in the abstract on this.
    If bodyweight exercises only take me so far, I'll see it for myself when I get that far and make changes accordingly.

Those debates were a bit time consuming.
    That said, I wouldn't mind closure on this one.
    Don't suppose you could comment on those arguments I gave?
    Then I'd like to a last review of the debate and then I'd let you have the last word on it.
    Then the debate would be over - agreement to disagree.
    Can I tempt you to just finish it off?

10. pecks

pecks Valued Member

Hope I'm not butting in....

It depends on your goals. If you want to increase your fitness, I'd say that you can do this with body weight exercises. Combine some burpees, some skipping, some press-ups, some sit-ups, keep it high-intensity (i.e don't let yourself rest in between exercises), that's definitely going to help.

If you want to bulk up, to put some decent muscle on, I'd say you're gonna have to hit the weights.

Hope this helps.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I disagree that you cannot build muscle using bodyweight training. Look at gymnasts, in general they don't weight train. All their muscle mass is generated using bodyweight based training. Admittedly it is high level training, but it is still done without barbells and machines. Obviously, to build a gymnastic physique, you have to be doing some fairly advanced exercises but it is possible to do it without weights.

12. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Either way, my main objective is to regain that feeling of "lightness" and "springiness" and energy that I had when I was younger.
    It might be that within a year or so I find myself wanting more muscle and feeling that my purely bodyweight work outs aren't taking me in that direction, and at that time I'll re-evaluate.

In the meantime, I'm mainly looking for suggestions on warming up and cooling down - preferably with exercises that will benefit my joints and flexibility.

13. pecks

pecks Valued Member

Have you considered trying some classes at a local sports centre? My local centre is brilliant, they have loads of different classes. Maybe low-impact aerobics or similar?
    T
    his would mean that
    1) you could get some ideas for your home routine, and
    2) you have more of an incentive to keep exercising.

Maybe go to a few different classes if possible to find something you enjoy.

Some other things to consider:

1) Definitely stretch out your back, if nothing else
    2) Add "the plank" to your routine
    3) Have a flick through some magazines (Men's Health, etc) for ideas about weight-free routines.

14. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Something I'm looking into.

Haha!! Funny you should mention this.
    With the headstands, back arches and v-sits I'm doing, my back is feeling the sorest.
    I currently do "the bridge" and "the cobra" and some other back stretches.
    Recommendations here would b most welcome.

2) Add "the plank" to your routine[/quote]
    Google failed me.
    Could you link me to more information on this "plank"?

I've got "Never Gymless" by Ross Enamait.
    That book is supposed to cover bodyweoght exercises, routines, nutrition.
    It should be helpful.

15. pecks

pecks Valued Member

Google "plank exercise". Loads of stuff.
    Thought I'd spelt it wrong for a minute!

16. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

The plank has been added.
    My lower back will be moaning like a bitch.
    Recommend any stretches for it?

17. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

18. pecks

pecks Valued Member

we always do those at kung fu. never knew what they were called though. good call I say.