Women & Weights

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by YODA, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'm honestly suprised no-one has brought up the tackle innuendo comment until now. Maybe its a British thing... ;) :)

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I've brushed up ALOT on my British slang since I've been here... and even I knew this! ;) (.... but I thought it best not to "bring it up" :D :Angel: )

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

When my mom had her "gym phase" (her friend started going, so she did too, for like a month), I tried to get her to do strength training, but she said she didn't want to get bulky (she's 48). =/ She stopped going a month later because her knees hurt, because she has arthritis. Funny, that's what doctors say you're SUPPOSED TO do when you have arthritis, right?

PL

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

:confused: .... 'specially considering that weight training not only builds stronger muscles in us older women, but also builds stronger connective tissues and increases joint stability.... it has also been shown to ease the pain of osteo arthritis.

5. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

See this is the kind of stupid sexist tripe that I think a lot of women fall for.

Guess what, unless a woman works out like ALL DAY and is a PROFESSIONAL body builder, she isn't going to get super bulky muscles like a man.

I am tired of listening to stupid women talk about avoiding the gym because they don't want to look bulky.

1) What a shallow stupid reason to avoid weights.

2) YOu can't just 'accidentally' bulk up like that. Women's bodies tend to actually resist putting on that kind of muscle, especially upper body. To get that look female professional body builders have to consume a ton of calories and special protien mixes combined with intensive long hours at the gym.

Personally, if a guy finds it "unattractive" that you can bench a lot, than he obviously has insecurity issues and I'd lose him before I changed my gym plans.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Remember this thread guys?? :D ;)

Ladies with Muscles

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

What I hate is when there are commercials, either for a gym, or just "woman power" stuff, they always show women working on machines, or with really small dumbells. =/

PL

EDIT: also, I remembered on one commercial a woman was on a machine, and she thought to herself "just 8 more". =/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  8. Tika

Tika New Member

Oh my... I honestly had no idea. I think if I DID know, I would have done it anways hehehe... but I didnt know. :eek:

9. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Thank crap someone agrees with me. I thought I was going to get nuked for personal attacks there.

How long, and what kind of resistance/intensity, does it take for a woman to get 'ripped'? I am rather delicately built and I think it sucks.

10. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

quoted for massive truthery.

although, i do like it if they do a little weight training- keeps them in shape. also, time spent at the weights room = less time spent at the shopping zone :D

11. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

UGH! "keeps them in shape"

:bang:

I never realized that the whole point of women working out or exercising was to please the male eye.

I hope you were joking. Seriously, I can't believe how sexist many of the guys on this site seem to be. Not cool, not cool at all.

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's not, in fact, massively different from that a man would have to. There ARE differences- women tend to respond better to SLIGHTLY more reps and SLIGHTLY less intensity, but nothing like on the scale that certain members of the fitness industry would have us believe. We're talking about a 10-15% difference at the MOST.

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Applause.

It's about time people realised that a woman can exercise and work out FOR HER!

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I have a table from T-nation that you may find helpful.

Attached Files:

15. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

KFG, you're taking this a little too personal. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If a guy does or doesn't like a woman with muscles, that's his business.

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I think you've missed the point. The point was that maybe her motives for getting or not getting those muscles had little to do with parading them in front of men.

17. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I understand where he's coming from. I know where Kung fu Grrl is coming from too. but think about it, don't a great many guys work out to please the female eye? What's bad about it working the other way? I've heard girls say the same thing Glenchuy just say. There's a difference between being sexist and being human.

Yes, you were :D :D . I don't know how it works for women, you could try Dr. Google, or a women's health magazine.
    And I pump Iron, 'cause I ain't delicate
    Trying to get ripped as I'll ever get
    And if you're not messing with that, you must be celibate...
    :D
    :D :D

18. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

I second that :)

19. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

i don't know how such a simple phrase can be taken out of context, but all i mean was- i like weight training for women because it keeps them in shape (as opposed to- i like women who weight train because they keep themselves in shape)

and if the woman excercises for themselves, it doesn't keep them in shape? :confused: sorry if i came off as being sexist or such.

also- what he said-

how come, when men talk about how cute the girl is, because she's fit, it makes men sound sexist, and thus bad- but when women talk about how cute a guy is because he has great abs/is fit, it still sounds sexist, but is acceptable?

is it wrong for me to be more attracted to people who are "fit" as opposed to those who are "not fit"?

20. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

Because this thread is about women and weight training. It's not a thread about "What type of woman do you think is cute?"

I'm going to act defensive because I am VERY USED TO sexist jerks saying rude things to me and other women on the topic.

I bolded the part of you reply that I thought was stupid since you seem to have somehow completely missed the point of this discussion. It isn't sexist to say a girl is cute or a guy is cute. It IS sexist to say women shouldn't or should work out because of muscle development and sex appeal. That isn't what this thread is about.

The reason it bothers me so much is I hate/hate/hate how some girls are completely intimidated to go to the gym because of sexist assholic remarks.

I really don't think you were trying to be sexist, I think you are probably a good person. It's just that you have to realize that it can come accross that way to people that are very used to being stereotyped and discriminated against based on their sex.

I hope that made sense?