Will my muscle diminish if...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ShadowHawk, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

My upper body muscles such as triceps biceps chest are sore and I put in time boxing a heavy bag?

thanks

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Ero-Sennin

Ok, seriously man . . . . elaborate. Why do you think this would happen? I'm a bit skeptical being you've competed in MMA and are asking quite a newbie question.

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Nope, they might not recover as quick but you're certainly not going to atrophy

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You'll extend your recovery period which means you wont be able to train as regularly which will affect your long term progress.

Rest is training

6. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

So true, yet so many people fail to realize it.

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Never competed MMA, I practice Muay Thai and have trained with my pro buddy who's link is in my sig.

I'm just retuning my routine, I guess this was another "myth" I've heard. But as someone else mentioned that it will prolong the muscle recovery. Thank you

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  8. Ero-Sennin

I could have sworn you had a thread about losing a competition and it putting you off your mental game, and winning one. Maybe I'm confused? Either way it may have been a little bold of me to assume somebody who trains and competes really knows how to train for conditioning/strength/power as well when they probably just may be training how to fight vs. focusing on their conditioning.

I have a big qualm with how much people preach about "rest." A lot of people don't train hard enough to need to schedule rest, skip workouts because they need to rest or whatever. A lot of people feel sore and think "oh, I need to rest today" when they could easily train something else or need recovery training (a light workout) that would help them so much more. It's also all in the nutrition, if you're eating real good in time/nutrition you can push yourself to limits most people would consider overtraining. Rest IS essential, and I'm not refuting that. I'm saying most people can work harder then what they are, smarter then what they are, and the whole thing about rest is still important but not as extreme as it's made out to be sometimes.

I'm getting to the point in my own training where I need to figure out when to rest and I usually feel like I can work out and want to work out, but then I look at the intensity and volume I've been putting out, realizing where I'm at in my own training and can say, "yeah, it's time for a recovery workout or a day off or my body is going to start hurting more then developing."

-rant over-

Hitting the heavy bag when your chest, tris and bis are sore is actually probably going to help you recover and grow more then anything. That's assuming you're not doing a hardcore bag workout being something like 12 sets of 4 minute rounds with 30 sec breaks going all out. If you throw in 8 rounds to work on technique, speed, and a few bouts of intensity it will probably help move the lactic acid out of those muscles, condition them to stay strong longer and be more of a benefit then anything. Doing some light cardio conditioning after a heavy weight routine is probably going to benefit you more to reach your goals then just doing nothing afterwards. If you ate some protein/carbs right after your weight session before you started to hit the bag, then nutrition after you hit the bag as well it will probably benefit you even more. Stretching after the bag work will also do you a world of good. If you're doing it the day after, then it's more of that "recovery workout" for those muscles (again, assuming it's not a 'hardcore' routine).

This can be applied to any muscle group really. Legs sore from a hard session of squats/deadlifts? Go for a light run and stretch, you'll heal up much quicker then if you do nothing.

I'll have to find some material online or in my own texts to post up so you don't have to take my word for it, but keep doing what you're doing, you'll be fine.

9. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^this is what I mean. All camps that train you work you like a dog 6 days a week your rest only being sleep naps and the one day off.

I guess that the muscles "diminishing" thing about hitting the bag and weight lifting is a myth then

10. Ero-Sennin

A lot of the work done in the gym for technique/conditioning is tough stuff. That's why your nutrition is important. The steps of working out by importance goes like this: 1.) Nutrition, 2.) Nutrition, 3.) Nutrition, 4.) Working out, 5.) Rest/recovery.

You won't be able to train the weights like a bodybuilder or powerlifter, or even the fit regular guy who trains weights and is bulky without it having an effect on your performance for fighting. It's a different kind of weight training and it should focus on helping to develop your strength/power for fighting more then anything. Not right away anyways. For me I would have to really get into awesome shape fighting wise which would take the rest of this year to be able to incorporate some of my older lifting routines about twice a week and not have it destroy my performance level for fighting. Everyone is different though. Ease into a weight lifting routine, search for articles about weight lifting routines for fighters and work from beginner level to intermediate and so on.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I assumed we were talking about the day after a training session.