Why do some people insult Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dori_kin_86, Jul 2, 2004.

1. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I want to know your opinions about why people want to insult martial arts and martial artists. I have experienced people insulting me and my martial arts training to my face. Once upon a time in a gym in Starkville. I had finished my weightlifting and was starting my MA training for the day. I was warming up by doing 5 Taikyoku katas. As I was doing them, people who could see through the windows of the exersise room were giving me strange looks and some even pointed and laughed. Another event occured when I was wanting to get a quick workout in before leaving for a vacation. When I was doing some kicks in my side yard, A man driving down the street, slowed down and shouted HI-YA! out his window and speed off laughing. And others will even say to my face that martial arts are no good, and I am stupid for doing them. Others are scared of me or thinks Im strange for studying MA (I bring this strange look out of people when I tell them I am a martial artist) Also, if any of you have stories of people mocking MA, do tell

2. TyrX

TyrX Unregistered Non-User

People will often "mock" and make fun of things they fear, whether or not they will admit to that fear is another thing. It makes them feel less afraid of "you the MAist" if you are something they can laugh at. As fear is derived from their complete lack of understanding of MA.

As for the people who say that it doesn't work...everybodies an armchair expert arn't they? "I watched crouching tiger hidden dragon, I know professional martial artists when I see them, and I've seen plenty get beaten up."

Bah, don't think twice about what people think of you...especially people you will never see again, nor care about.

3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Most people are idiots, read my sig.

4. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

well, all they see is movies, and for a lot of people, they have to think they know everything, so whatever theyve seen, they believe, just so they can talk. some people just like to make others mad. i just say, if they have no idea what they are talking about, their opinion (about that subject)means nothing. dont worry about it. my dad does the same thing, so i just ignore him about it.

5. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I don't care what they think. I just brush them off. (although, inviting them to spar with me wouldn't be such a bad idea. [a maniacal grin appears upon the face of dori_kin])

just kidding :)

6. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

Some people are joking, those who think that MAists are just mucking about have usually convinced themselves my watching some B-movie with their mates and have unanimously decided that, based on what they've seem, thety could easily take any MAist who they come across.
    As Scarlet said, you will have to accept that the majority of people you meet will have the interlectual capacity of a boot.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

8. never

never Registered Hero

Somehow in my school some ned (none educated delinquent) found out I did MA. As you can guess, it was soon all around the school. Great :( . I got a lot of grief for that. Until some guy (the type that seems to hate you for no reason) jumped me (again, for so reason). After a bit of grapling a hook to his head sent him to the floor crying. :) And me to detention :( . Oh well, cant win them all.

9. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

I know exactly what you mean. The problem with guys is that being good at MAs is an assult on their pride. No toughguy wants to admit that someone can beat them, especially if you look like you can't. Being good at MAs is implying to them that you are a threat to their masculinity.

10. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Exactly. Especially kids and teenagers, who insult the arts because they're immature and it's easy to do, thus getting respect from their friends. Once they become teenagers masculinity becomes involved and they want to big up their reputation to all of their mates. That's all it is, pointless showing off. At our club we get kids looking in through the window mocking us by trying to do the moves (they're invariably fat).

I also agree with what that guy said about everyone being armchair experts, they see one person who does a martial art lose a fight and then generalise it to everyone who does martial arts (though sometimes martial artists do this too when they feel like attacking certain arts). One guy I know tried to mock TSD by doing a karate-kid style crane stance, so I said "yeah, that's exactly what we do".

Sometimes people say things like "you don't need all of that rubbish, you just need to smack them" which makes me think "what the hell do you think we learn to do in the lessons?"

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  11. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I completely agree. Some guys think that they need to be the most dominating male in the room, so if they know you do MA they're going to put you down until they feel like the Alpha-male again.

I hardly ever tell anyone that I do martial arts, not that I'm embarrased or insecure, but because I hate explaining to people what Hapkido is. I especially hate hearing Bruce Lee yells.

12. jeff29053

jeff29053 New Member

They just dont understand........?

Most insult it because they dont understand it. They see things perceived in movies. Such as Ninja's jumping 50 feet in the air and having sword duels. Then they see us and think thats what we are trying to accomplish.

They also tend to match martial arts with what they know, comparing it to boxing or street fighting and making the assumption that Martial arts are inferior because we throw nice high spinning kicks and things like they see on T.V.

What they dont see is that the martial artist trains the whole body. Mind, body, and spirit. They also dont see the physics and science behind what we do and why we do it the way we do. They believe our only arsenal is spinning jumping back kicks and dancing type movements. Which they feel would be a joke against a boxer or brawler.

They fail to see that we train in punching as well as kicking just as much as boxers and brawlers, etc. Even more so because we utilize our entire body, muscle contractions, and proper breathing techniques.

But what they see is just a dance like movement being performed by someone in a underwear looking uniform. So they are judging what they simply dont understand.

13. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

it only really comes from jocks,"popular" kids, or self-proclaimed tough guys, so i'm not too worried, as those guys are just stuck up princesses with insecurities. i prove my worth on the street and in a dojo. it would be dishonourable and disgusting to waste it on mere words.

14. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

A lot of times it's jealousy. Like nrv4evr said people think there tough guys and try to prove things because of there insecurity, don't let it bother u.

15. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Like others have said before me, people mock what they don't understand or what makes them feel inadequate. People who don't do MA mock those who do, people who do one MA mock those that do a different one. People are stupid, some never grow up and some are perpetually feeling inadequate and unsure and lash out in their impotence. Take it where it is coming from and keep on doing what you are doing. Be proud and sally forth! Don't worry so much about "other people", worry about the ones you know and love.

16. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

thats wut the scottish guy meant when he said a ned. ned is slang for that kinda person! i know this cus i have a friend whos scottish and tells me this crap :D
    anyways, alot of people i know think they can "kick my ass" so i just tell em hey if you ever wanna spar you know where to find me. i havent had anyone accept yet, and you know their talking big to make em feel special, but as soon as the chance comes for them to put their money where their mouth is they back down by putting their hands in the air and kicking going "waattahhh" and mocking MAts.

17. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

People who mock what they do not understand=>hilljacks, hillbillies, white trash, or stupid white trash.

dori, it is a defense mechanism. They are ignorant and wish to remain as learning new things is hard work and white trash prefers to sit on the couch, eat cheetoes and wait for their government check. If you know something that they do not, the trash feel inferior, so they mock it to elevate their own self-esteem.

They are some of the lowest forms of life on the earth. Smile and nod to acknowledge their ignorance, but have a plan to kill them if necessary. :woo:

18. Hapkido_NY

Hapkido_NY New Member

I absolutely relate to this situation.

at the ymca where I go to exercise..when I finish off the routine with pool/water meditation...I am still in the water concentrating on breathing. I will do body and limb stretches...I guess some of the stretches reveal my interest in MA. My eyes are closed almost the whole time..then I float on my back and listen to my breathing. Guess the lifeguard were studying me and drawing conclusions (which is easy when you're not working a real job haha) when I step out to use the shower just around the corner I overheard mocks and screeches (like terry silver mocking miyagi in karate kis III)...I guess they had no idea I was listening to the whole thing. Next day I walked to the pool area and shot one of them a nasty look, haven't heard anymore mockery.

it's ignorance....plain and simple. :D

19. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

Funny, those people that you listed are the ones that do it. But also really preppy people did it to me. In Mississippi, you also have a strange hybrid that called Preppy white trash. They are people that are rich, but yet they have white trash tastes, and act like it too.

I don't let it get to me, I'm more mature than that. Anyone have any stories about being mocked at for being a Martial Artist.

20. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

pressure points are very good when you want to stop the mocking. very, very good :D