Ha ha u do MA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ROokie, Jun 26, 2004.

1. ROokie

ROokie New Member

how come at my scool some people say ''ha ha you do MA''. it annoys me as they all take the mick out of it without even attempting to hear my side of it. my friends dont take the mick but some people who i know but arnt friends with do.
    what should i do?

2. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

im guessing they the do the whole bruce lee noise and crane kick routine. Best thing to do is just to leave them. What they are trying to do is make you feel bad and try to provoke you into fighting. Dont rise to their bait.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The reason they think MA is a joke is because, sadly, from what the public see of much of it - it is.

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

If they suceed in provoking you, their job is done!!!

5. Don Davies

Don Davies Valued Member

My sister is about the same age as you rookie and she says the same thing. At that age lots of people are trying to be cool and anything different is not considered cool by them. I wouldn't listen to them, it's better to be your own person then live as someone tells you to do by being cool.

6. ROokie

ROokie New Member

yeah i agree thanks for advice.
    yoda what do you mean?

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I mean there experience of MA is what they see in the media - so there reaction is justifiable.

8. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

well rookie i dont know how old you are but i used to have that same problem im 15 and then i just took it and took it but when you really put it into action thats when theyll be scared too death of you, one of the biggest guys at our school attacked me and i used an aikido move and made him look like a fool and then grounded his arm out and had him paralized while i was holding him,now no one will play fight with me,mess with me, or anything. just keep your spirits high and youll be fine, im not saying for people to be scared of you is good its just what stopped them from talking about em so i thought i would tell you all what happened too me, im not happy its happened but that was just my example in my case.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  9. ROokie

ROokie New Member

i wish i could do that and make an example but, theres a big but. im not very good iv only been doing it for like a month(jujitsu) and im not very good. it only happen;s on mondays and its been canceled for two weeks due the location been bokked elswhere. iv tried looking for somewhere to do aikido which i like and i cant find it anywhere.

10. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Unfortunetly, I can't say that this is something unique to martial arts or something that goes away with age. Although, they are usually a bit less direct and obtuse later in life. The good news is that once you understand the motivations (or lack thereof) it's pretty easy to handle.

Anytime you try something new in life you're bound to have detractors, whether its the high school buddy that derides your deciscion to go to college or the later life companion that tells you that <insert activity> is ridiculous at our age. It stems from fear of change and lack of self-esteem. To some people what you do will be an inspiration, they'll look and say "Hey, I think I could do that". For those lacking self-esteem it's an unwelcome challenge, they don't see themselves as able to improve their lot in life and will try to bring others down to their level, rather then working on elevating themselves. Trying something new requires a change in you, and change can be scary. Try inviting them to try a class; the martial arts are great for building confidence, it could be just what they need. If not, eh, *shrug* c'est la vie. Do your thing and just be yourself, that's the best anyone can do.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  11. Sin

Sin New Member

In the long Run

In the long run all you can really do is wait for the perfect moment to use your skills to defend yourself and show everyone its no joke, but until then be EXTREAMLY passive. Don't tell them anything. Just let them get frustrated and come at you and then just give the guy a swift kick to the throut (SP?) and you shouldn't have any problems...Waiting is Key to your survival in the Blackboard jungle

12. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

I'm with Yoda on this one. Suck it up and set a better example.

13. osopardo

osopardo New Member

So, how did they find out in the first place? Were you bragging about it? OK, OK, you weren't braggin'. Have you been looking for opportunities to drop it subtly into conversations?

It's ok to be all pumped up on it and to want to talk about it, but it's usually a good idea to just not bring it up. It's a part of your life they don't understand and their only defense is to ridicule it, so just let it slide.

My old man would sometimes say to me "Don't try to impress me, try impress yourself." So it is with M.A. It's not too impress others, it's to impress yourself.

14. Sin

Sin New Member

Explain it to them

Yeah but being able to take out a 3oo lb man in 2 moves is something that I think is fun to watch and to do. So I will use whatever means necessary to fend off my opponet. He may brake my arm but I will taKe his life...In witch I am trained to do. Also learning control, and the braking points of the human body. In turn I belive that If I tell someone I can do something I better be able to back it up. So if you can't do something perfectly 100% then just keep it to yourself. What I tell people when we are talking about MA.. " You wanna see something I am Learning" Learning witch means NOT A MASTER. you have to be Humble and not think you can take anyone on. and you probably can't. So just explain that you are learning and you probably can't do certain things under pressure....yet. And that one day you will be able too. that is why you take the class. Because you want it to be second nature

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Kill them. Then blame it all on stress and American music that influenced you. :p

Just kidding, of course. All you can really do is suck it up. You're not doing MA to impress people, right?

PL

16. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Kick them all in the face.

17. mic

mic Banned Banned

i always smack people and ask them to repeat what they said. works a charm

18. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Mimick the crane kick they do and ask "is this how you do it" dont be someone who needs others to like you when obviously they are idiots just be strong within yourself. Tell them you do origami or dancing or something so you can stretch and mess around when ever you want cause its just dancing.... ... The less time you give to worrying about what others think or how they will take you or react to you the more time you have to work on improving yourself.

19. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Well I personally see their taunt and jeers as a test of humility and patience. They tease you because they don't understand or they may even fear your training. They try to break your confidence in yourself and what you are doing. Stay the path, and they will have to respect you in time.

20. ROokie

ROokie New Member

yeah. i did micks way once to soem personw ho was biger than me. i was proud lol becuase after like a month of jujitsu in a middle of a little fight thing (not to face though, can get in trobuel for that) not even knowing id done it until the end i body dropepd someone. So it must be sinking in without my knowledge lol.