why cant i walk normal?....still

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by redsonjia, Oct 24, 2010.

1. redsonjia

redsonjia Valued Member

Thursday went for some bjj, we had some conditioning. It now sunday and I still cant move to the ground or get up from it very fast. My legs still screaming ARE YOU NUTS. Ive been really trying to make working out a part of my life and not just casually for about 2 months now. I mean right now I kinda just put pressure on my thighs and they are still sore. I was wondering did i damage them or is it just finally saying "YEAH you worked me." I remember the next day when I was walking seem the only thing that kept me from falling was my bones. Will I lose some of my flexability now cause of how tight my legs feel? I cant even extend(Lock'm) my legs straight in a chair without my legs screaming at me. Needing some help any answers?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

Some of your problems could be that you didn't warm up/cool down enough, didn't stretch before or after enough, or you over worked. Odds are, you pushed yourself too far and strained the muscles. Do a light warm up and slowly stretch out until you feel better, and don't push yourself so hard in the future. YBF.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It sounds like DOMS. Your muscles just aren't use to being used in the way that you use them in BJJ. You'll probably find for the first few weeks you are stiff for a few days (or more) after training. I find a hot bath works wonders for training related stiffness.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Whenever you do something your body isn't used to, it will give you a big "WTF!". The upside is, so long as you keep your training regular, this is the worst of it.

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Ditto what Frodo and Holy said. This is most likely just regular DOMS. Bask in the glory of the DOMS, safe in the knowledge that you have worked yourself in a new way and will be 1% stronger, 1% fitter and 1% more all-round awesome once the DOMS has passed.

6. redsonjia

redsonjia Valued Member

This is going to sound bad but what does DOMS stand for? and WOOT 1% better.. i mean ive had soreness before but nothing that lasted this long. You think it will be okay to go do some light exercise/stretch today... cause i need this gone by monday another bjj.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. holyheadjch

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

in other words muscle pain that comes after, not during a workout.

8. redsonjia

redsonjia Valued Member

9. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I remember the first time I ever attended a spin class. I kept up with my instructor to show her I could hang with her workouts.....boy was that a mistake....by the evening time I couldn't walk, or sit properly and it took about 4 days before my legs weren't screaming bloody murder! It'll be fine, just make sure to warm up and cool down properly :)

10. Iam

Iam Valued Member

I too remember an evil class ... called a "Pressure Cooker" class. It was about 30 minutes of regular aeorbic/weights, then 15 minutes of high speed hell. No idea what the technical name for that type of excerise is.

For 3 days after I felt like someone had beat me with a stick.

11. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

redsonja, remember that you don't have to keep up with everyone in the class. As an older grappler I do all the exercises but I don't fell any need to keep up with the kids in their 30s and 40s. :hat:

Work out at your own pace, take breaks when you need them. Also, I've found if you exercise for the whole time but do less reps than the other folks no one seems to notice.

Also, when rolling, relax, relax, relax. No need to push or spazz, you'll just end up tapping quicker. As a newb remember FBS (frame, bridge, shrimp) Frame your opponent to take up some of the weight and block his movement, bridge to create space and then shrimp to escape. If it fails set up your frame again and start over.

12. redsonjia

redsonjia Valued Member

Thanks you again and yeah ive been working on my shrimping. I was able to frame, bridge but shrimping didnt go to well for me :p. I do less reps now cause I dont want another thrusday. I like ... hum...doms as anyone else but I dont want it lasting 4 days. I make sure to cooldown more and I got some post work out shake with protein to help me out. I normally work out monday-saturday on my off days I do morning and evening, If I'm working ill just do evening.

13. holyheadjch

You'll find that it is much harder to get DOMs after the first time, because your body has started adjusting. Certainly not four day long DOMs anyway.

14. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

redsonjia - I would also look at your recovery routine, like others have said it is important to cool down properly, and it is especially important to have some protein and carbs after the workout to help with the muscle recovery phase. I usually try for around 100 grams of carbs and 50 grams of protein as soon as I can after a big session (i am a big guy at 110 kg so you might be able to drop the amount). And also load up on the water, I try for 3 litres over 5 hours after I finish if I have sweated alot, or 1.5-2 if I haven't.

You'll still feel sore, but it won't last as long.