Who DOES NOT use weight training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, May 2, 2004.

1. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

As long as that "bigness" was built via compound exercises, using primarily low reps and heavy weights. A typical bodybuilder's magazine workout won't build the kind of muscle that's useful in the ring or on the mat. Too often, when someone tries to get big + strong, the strong doesn't keep up with the big.

Bottom Line: Focus on getting consistently stronger, overtime, you'll "accidentally" get bigger as a byproduct.

2. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

BeWater, I'm going to have to partially disagree with what you said. You can get stronger and stay the same size all your life. He can't "accidentally" get bigger if he doesn't eat a surplus of calories, and a surplus of calories is not needed to gain strength. So he might gain strength and not get bigger at all.

Also, if he doesn't try to get big, he probably won't. You can't "accidentally" get big overnight. That takes many months or years of hard work. Maybe I misunderstood your post though.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  3. Colucci

You know, it's funny, I was actually considering mentioning that as an addendum, but I though it would be understood by most. That's my fault for assuming. You are correct, size will only come when training is coordinated with an increased intake calories and nutrients. Good catch.

4. fixationdarknes

Alright I'm sure you already knew that but just wanted to point that out for the guy.

5. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I don't use weights, having big muscles slows you down. I do 2000 reps using 1kg plastic dumbells in a punching motion to tone up instead. :D

6. fixationdarknes

7. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Personally i was weight training a few years before i took up martial arts and i think it's helped me alot but thats just my opinion. Look at the size of a sprinter and tell me that they're not quick!

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Ive been doing 5set of 5 reps of weighted dips and pull ups i weighed 9 stone when my 1rm was an extra stone. I am now nearly adding 4 stone to my dips and i weigh 9stone.
    I know that isnt weight lifting because theres no barbell or machine but the only reason i didnt want to start lifting heavier was because i thought id get bulkier.
    I read this http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/publications/technique/1996/8/strength-training.html

and found i wouldnt, and i havent.

The other reason i can see people not wanting to do weightlifting is that they will become slower http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=269.
    The article also shows how good deadlifts are.
    For want of a better term deadlifts Roxor.

9. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

You're only as fast as how you train.;) Olympic lifters are HYOOOOGE when you get to the heavier weight classes, yet these big boys can sprint like a bat outta hell or dunk a basketball while only being 5'6"-5'8"

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Interesting thread. It never fails to amaze that the way people do something is the right way! :D

I've been weight training for a while now and with some help from here my routine is getting better. Maybe a few too many isolated exercises but enough compound ones to make it a good alround strength workout!

Just wondering; Is a bad gym routine better than nothing or not?

I always think at least I'm doing something instead of sat at home watching the simpsons! ;)

11. Colucci

Good, better, best, baby. ;)

It's Good to exercise. Walk around the block, do 178 push-ups in a row, sit in a horse stance for a day and a half. As long as you're active, and not vegging out in front of the tube, that's step one. It's deciding to exercise in the first place.

It's Better to exercise with a goal in mind. Decide that you want to get a 6-pack, or freakin' huge arms. Or choose a dress size you want to reach. Or pick a date for a sparring tournament. Know why you're exercising.

It's Best to exercise in the most time-efficient and energy-efficient way, in order to reach those goals. If I want a 6-pack, lifting weights for sets of 15-25 reps will not be the most efficient way to get there. If I want to compete in a tournament that uses 5 3-minute rounds, running 12 miles a day will not be the most efficient use of my training time. This could be considered knowing the How's of exercise.

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Good answer!

Reminded us that even the best routine isn't the BEST, unless the RIGHT amount of time and effort is put in.

13. fixationdarknes

Also, the best routine isn't the best without the right diet. ;)

14. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I don't use weight training.

I use good ol sit ups, push ups, and ect.

15. fixationdarknes

Why's that, Korpy?

16. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

satisfied with good when you know weights can make you better?

17. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Bodyweight exercises are great if you do advanced movements and workout with furious intensity like you are supposed to.

I use weights 75% of the time for strength training though.

As said before variety is best, each way has its benefits.

18. fixationdarknes

Weights are superior to things like pushups and situps. What is 100 pushups or 200 situps going to do for you? Not much. You need to go heavy or don't go at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
  19. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

While I'm a huge advocate of the free weights, you would be suprised to see the raw strength a gymnast posseses, and they rarely touch weights.

However, that being said. Gymnasts mainly have static strength, and MA is dynamic, so... go pick up ther barbell :D

:Angel:

20. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

www.warriorforce.com

Can you even do 100 pushups? There are tons of variations to bodyweight excersises and when you do advanced movements in an intense circuit you can make great improvements in strength and conditioning or GPP.

Its hard to do plyometrics with a barbell...