What's the fastest way for me to learn the splits?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by itsthepollgirl, May 23, 2013.

1. itsthepollgirl

itsthepollgirl New Member

Hi all,

I've checked out Van Zandt threads and I'm still confused on how to arrange a routine.

Basically, I want to be able to achieve the side splits. That's my main goal for right now.

I've been doing relaxed stretches with a leg stretcher every day/night for 2 weeks now and I haven't got anywhere.

I'm currently in Taekwondo, practice is usually on M, W, F -- we basically do warm-ups, focus on the main part, do some ab work/or arm work after, and stretch on our own times after class.

I just need something to follow every day that will get me to my side splits. Please help!!!!

2. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Google the phrase "Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation" and apply the concepts to your leg stretching device.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

2 weeks is really not a long time.

4. itsthepollgirl

I mean I know all about that stuff. I even have the book "Stretching Scientifically", but there's really not anything solely directed to the side-splits.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

TIME and PATIENCE.

Nothing came be develop being rushed.

It is a process, slower for some compared to others

6. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've never been interested in doing the splits myself, but I imagine doing hip induction/abduction will help with the strength required.

7. itsthepollgirl

I understand that it takes time, but I just want to make sure what I'm doing is effective, because it's not effective, then it would be a waste of time.

8. 47MartialMan

Effecive for what...cheerleading?

9. itsthepollgirl

...taekwondo

10. 47MartialMan

I knew a lot of TKD practitoners over the decades. Splits were never a effective methos or concern to perform or prerequisite

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Why don't you post something useful and try to help the new member?

itsthepollgirl, welcome to MAP.

My suggestion is to work those dynamic stretches.

Bill Wallace has some good stuff on you tube. Don't worry about the height he's kicking, just follow the routines.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyurVFtrTw0"]Bill Superfoot Wallace - How to Advanced Stretching 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbrKaxezC9A"]Bill Superfoot Wallace - How to Advanced Stretching 2/3 - YouTube[/ame]

The third video is particularly good, especially the he starts to work with the chair (from 8.00).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGUPl5FvF68"]Bill Superfoot Wallace - How to Advanced Stretching 3/3 - YouTube[/ame]

12. 47MartialMan

You are right on one side of the coin, but on the other side, people tend to think performing splits will help in effectiveness. Thus helping in high kicks

This is not a absolute

As I have stated, Ive known a lot of TKDers who cannot split, or they were not concerned about this.

The main focus was the art

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's all about hip flexibility and mobility. Maybe you could help in this area.

14. itsthepollgirl

Part of the reason for me wanting to do the splits is because they DO help with high kicks because static-passive flexibility helps to increase your range when kicking dynamically. I was going to work on them simultaneously.
    All I asked was for help, not to be ridiculed.

15. itsthepollgirl

Thank you so much. I'm proud to be here! I'll check those videos out right away!

16. 47MartialMan

My apology on coming off that way.

I've been in a wierd mood for awhile-not and excuse, a explanation

That all said, I still hold ground that this is not a absolute.

Many TKDers I know, were never overly concerned with this routine.

It is like when people hand condition.
    Sure, its a conditioning, but is it worth the time and effort?

Try taking two cinder blocks (found at any building supply) and position them at the widest apart for you. Then stand on these while performing your basic blocks in front of a TV.

Also, to help, stretch another muscle group by sitting in "butterfly"-standard position on floor.

Stack books or weights on top the knees in front of the TV

The TV is a distraction plus allows time to pass without notice

Again-sincere apology

As I also had stated, the time it takes is entirely upon the individual.

17. itsthepollgirl

Thanks no hard feelings! I don't have any cinderblocks, but I'll tie some books together lol.

18. 47MartialMan

Reverse pelvic floor thrust will also help.

What must be remembered, there are other muscle groups which have to be stretched, other than the single position of trying to actually split.

19. itsthepollgirl

So should I do this routine everyday? I did it today and it felt awesome. Would it be too much though if I were to do it Monday - Thru Saturday

20. fatcat

fatcat Valued Member

Stretching....

I am very interested in this as well.

I have been doing TKD for 1 1/2 years now and my stretching hasn't really come on alot. I decided early on not to worry about it and see how it goes but my kicks haven't been rising and my instructor tells me I need to work on it.

You have the right idea in stretching EVERY day but I cannot give more advice than this. My age is a disadvantage for me 'cause I know it is going to take longer.

I am looking into Elastisteel but early days.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.