What should I be eating for breakfast? I need more energy in the morning!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Jan 7, 2019.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

My new job requires my to get up at 4:30 am so I can be there by 7am. I was okay for the first 2 hours but the last 2 hours I slowed down. I need a steady supply of energy! No coffee I crash to hard on that.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Prepare everything the night before so you can just get up, wash, eat and leave.

Porridge is great for long lasting carbs,
    Coffee helps too.

If you crash too hard, make it weaker.

axelb and Mitch like this.
  3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I'll prepare some porridge tonight. Today I am having an egg with my toast and drinking lots of water. Also a cup of tea for good measure.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Slow release carbs, some protein and maybe something like fruit. So egg on wholemeal toast with an apple or some berries might be good.

Can you snack at work? Maybe take some buts and dried fruit?

axelb likes this.
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Im the same. I wake at 5am to start work by 7am.

Altho Im not much of a breakfast person. And porridge tends to....er...go right through me. But also its kinda dense so Im dozing off around noon if I have anything too heavy.

Coffee (mines usually a mocha) and either couple of buttered toasts or a muffin, around 9am (so its been 4hrs since Ive woken)

Lunch - whatever Ive prepped the night before, or in a pinch, leftover dinner or even a quick trip to the local supermarché.
    This is about 1pm ish.

And then I would graze on snacks. Sometimes its chocolate, other times its more chocolate, and sometimes....a chocolate biscuit with nuts in (cos good fats n whatnot)

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I am the same with caffiene, it hits me hard and drops off hard.

Porridge is my go to, definitely keeps me going, usually with berries, banana, seeds - but also goes through me, so I know I have a normal time that I have to be ready by the toilet, fortunately the timing is predictable.

I prefer tea (English breakfast or Assam) as my caffeine source as it usually stimulates me enough without the big drop.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Wholemeal bread is about the same GI as white bread.

Glycemic index for 60+ foods - Harvard Health

For those who find porridge goes through them, how runny is your porridge? You might be better off having oats in natural yoghurt with fruit instead of porridge if you don't like it lumpy. Oats are magic for the colon because of their mix of soluble and insoluble fibre, but if they're already saturated then they you're reducing the effect of the soluble fibre on your colon.

Bozza Bostik and Dead_pool like this.
  8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I have my porridge with semi skimmed milk, by the time it's cooked the porridge not very wet. On occasion I have it in natural yogurt, or the oats in a smoothie - thats usually very wet :D

9. Mitch

Good point, something I'd forgotten about.

My own experiences have been that wholemeal filled me up for longer, though I'm largely gluten free these days.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Could be due to more nutrients in wholemeal.

11. Dead_pool

12. Dead_pool

That'll be the extra fibre, I've found wholegrain bread is the best, keeps me really full for hours, but is generally much more expensive.

Mitch likes this.
  13. Mitch

My daughter has celiac disease so we eat gluten free at home to avoid issues of cross-contamination, and also so she doesn't feel stigmatised or different. She's young enough for that still to be an issue.

Celiac disease is, of course, hereditary.

For many years I've avoided eating sandwiches at lunchtime, because they would invariably give me horrific indigestion, and later in the day I'd be scoffing antacids for hours. Without consciously thinking about it, I'd been removing gluten from my diet long before we had her diagnosis.

I haven't seen my GP to get a formal diagnosis yet, and I don't completely avoid gluten, but from eating gf at home for her I tend to consume very little, and it has certainly had a positive effect in terms of eliminating the indigestion I used to get.

Bozza Bostik, Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Dead_pool

That is some Excellent dadding!

Mitch likes this.
  15. Jackie6419

Jackie6419 Banned Banned

Hi everyone here I can tell you that what would you have to eat in your breakfast to get more energy levels;

1. Eggs.
    2. Yogurt.
    3. Papaya.
    4. Almond butter.
    5. Oats.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've stopped having breakfast. Trying some daily intermittent fasting. So I have a coffee at 7AM (can't give that up!) and then don't eat until 11:45.
    Then I eat every 3 hours until 9PM and then don't eat after that. Trying to narrow the daily eating window to stop snacking all the damn time.

axelb likes this.
  17. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Apparently the theory about this is has changed over the years. My understanding is probably a little out of date. as I understand it you what to avoid a sugar spike that prompt's insulin production as this can cause a swing in the other direction with too much insulin mopping up too much sugar, causing a low.

any food of the type that they recommend for type 2 diabetes. Personally I too swear by porridge. the consistency of porridge is highly variable between brands. it depends on the severity of the milling. I go for Tesco's own brand organic with semi skimmed lactose free milk. it is mainly whole flakes with not much milling. so it has a good bit of body to it.

18. Jackie6419

Jackie6419 Banned Banned

Hi everyone;

You have to eat eggs, oats, fruits and drink shakes in the breakfast to stay healthy and as well as fit.

19. Jackie6419

Jackie6419 Banned Banned

Hi everyone;

Do you know that breakfast is very important for our body, it helps to keep us healthy the whole day and we feel fresh. The best healthy breakfast that I recommend you eat is (Scrambled egg on toast) with a cup of coffee.

On the other side, coffee is very good for breakfast because coffee contains caffeine which is good for our body in a low amount. Coffee can help us to stay active, fresh, it lifts our mood and we can do our work constantly. Coffee contains caffeine which improves our mental health, boosts our memory, and decreases the chances of cancer. Coffee in the breakfast can also help to relieve your stress and your anxiety level will also decrease.

The biggest benefit of coffee is that it can increase your energy levels and you can work smartly.

For more information about the best breakfast that increases your energy level (Sneaky spam advertising deleted.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2022
  20. Dead_pool

Two and a half hours to get ready is a large amount of time, pre planning your morning, getting to sleep earlier, and getting up later would be my choice in this situation. (That obviously won't help if it's a two hour walk to your worksite, etc etc)

Aside from that complex carbs and a weaker source of caffeine in the morning would help.