What do you use to practice kicks on at home?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TejasT, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TejasT

TejasT Valued Member

I was curious what you use to practice kicks on at home?

I need something to hit (I'm getting sick of practicing kicks and punches in the air). Let me know what you all have at home to practice kicking and punching? Do you have a heavy bag, wavemaster, some homemade something or other?

Also, if you have any suggestions on a good product or how to make homemade heavy bag I'd appreciate it.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Heavy bag hung from the main beam in the garage. A heavy bag is much better than a wavemaster or similar.

Heavy bags really aren't that expensive, but I suppose you could use an army kitbag and a sand bladder and rag filling.

Mitch

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Check Craigslist, you can often find boxing equipment for very cheap on there including bags. I scored a 100lb canvas bag for maybe $30 that way.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

My old lady?

joke. :p Seriously I don't.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That's because she's harder than you and would whup your ass, isn't it?! :D

I second the suggestion to check out craiglist (or ebay) for a good secondhand one.

6. Chock

Chock Valued Member

Army kitbags or cargo parachute bags filled with rags will make a cheap punch bag, but the purpose-built ones are not that much dearer so unless you have one of the former lying around, you might as well get the real deal. An old matrees and some ingenuity might suffice too. Another good makeshift target for practicing accuracy as opposed to force, is a ping pong ball suspended on thread in a doorway, which is a favourite among sword users for practicing fencing lunges, but I reckon it would work just as well as a kicking target if you were trying to perfect accuracy.

Al

7. Hummmmm......

A stone... never screams when you hit it.
    A makiwara...
    A glass marbles bag to bang your shins against
    A bucket of river gravel for nukite
    A bag of packed sand for seiken, uraken, koken, forearms, and iron hand.
    A tree in the park downstairs to hit and play push "hands" with
    A bundle of bamboo sticks
    Two thighs to practice shuto & haito

A keyboard for hardcore fingertips conditioning, and a computer screen for headbutts... :D

Osu!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

errmm.... could be. :confused:

yeah second hand old ladies... not so sure about that. :hat:

9. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

I suddenly imagined you as an old japanese grandmaster hitting at trees or stones at a shrine on the beach or the middle of the forest... =P

10. LOL... yes, I do all that, not very often on the beach or a forest unfortunately, but I haunt the parks! :D
    I am not Japanese, not a master, and not grand though... ;)

Osu!

11. liero

liero Valued Member

Have a BOB dummy which currently has nothing in the base, so cant hit it.

If you want to do light technical training, hit tree leaves, good for accuracy. Not a lot of impact so you wont get sore between classes. Alternatively tape a ball to a string and hang it from your roof or something similar. Just make sure its secure so it doesnt fly everywhere!

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

wow! total destruction!

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

a banana tree...that refuses to give bananas!

how about a banana bag? or just a plain jane heavy bag? what's wrong with a heavy bag?

anyway if you are nuts enough, grab a used tyre. chop it up and cover a post. blast away! i use this for developing power using bastons but if you're hardcore, then be my guest.

14. Duncan-nin

Duncan-nin New Member

I use the wall, but that is for stomp kicks! would not want to use a wall for any other sort of kick.

15. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Trees. Since I'm not doing a style right now which has round kicks I can practice my kicks on much more solid objects... Plus I have nowhere to hang a bag :(

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I have a cheap Bryan punchbag that I got from a carboot for £8 hanging from two bungee ropes, lol.

Does the job though and it's rock solid so good for conditioning.

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Spend most of my time at work which has a boxing gym so heavy bag, uppercut bag, floor to ceiling, BOB and speedball.

At home Makiwara and forever lightly kicking doorframes with my shin and light fist conditioning on wall much to my partners dismay as need a new heavy bag.

Osu!

Dan93

18. Tornado578

Tornado578 New Member

There is two things that you shoud always keep in mind. First one is that if you are a beginner there is online two kicks you should treining by kicking in the air is front kick and side
    Kick, Second is that you only should start kicking the hard surfaces like heavy bag only when you mastered the basics for exempl: roundhouse kick ~> foot flexibility for max speed, or you will hurn your joints like knees e.t.c

Sorry for bad engliah, I hope coulde help you thx!

19. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

100lbs Heavybag should be enough. Mines is an everlast.

After you harden your shins kick bannana trees

20. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I have a 70lb heavy bag by Everlast which I picked up from my local store, though its fine for striking I'm considering upgrading to one of these so I can work more on applications for grappling and striking and precision work, it might be a good option for those who are looking to upgrade or who aren't on a strict budget: http://www.titlemma.com/p_WIGDHB+70.aspx

[​IMG]