weird pull up routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by harhar, Feb 9, 2005.

1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I saw this weird pull up article at dragondoor. It says to do ONE set everyday that is 2/3 to 3/4 of your maximum and increase by 1 rep a set every 2 weeks. I've been struggling to get my pull up numbers up so I was wondering if this is a valid routine.

Take note that I have also started a WSBB style routine so if this routine works, it would be great as I may overtrain my body with most other types of pull up routines.

2. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

You've started a Westside routine? Post it up so we can see how you've set it up.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I was thinking the same thing too. Please post it up.

4. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Here it is:

Monday (ME DL/squat day)
    Max effort squat variation or DL variation
    Romanian DL 3x8rep
    Natural Glute ham raise 3x5rep

Tuesday (DE bench day)
    bench press 3 different grips 10x3rep
    JM press or Close grip bench 4x2rep (may do tuck plache instead)
    farmers walk and grip work
    Abs

Wednesday
    jump rope

Thursday (DE DL/squat day)
    box squat 10x2rep
    fast DL singles x 6
    Natural Glute ham raise and/or pull through
    Abs

Friday (ME bench day)
    Max effort bench variation
    dips or JM press 2x8 rep
    tuck planche

Saturday
    Abs
    jump rope
    farmers walk and additional grip work

Sunday rest

1 set of pull ups (3/4 of max) everyday except sunday.

Note that I cannot train on Sunday.
    I just have the framework of WSBB. I may increase volume if my body needs more later on.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Nice, basic set-up. Though, I'd drop the farmer's walk (and maybe abs) on Saturday, and since we're keeping fairly few exercises each day, I'd be sure to increase volume after about 4 weeks.

6. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

i've been doing that pull up routine for 3 weeks. my pull ups went from 8 to 22. the key is never go to failure. i started doing sets of 3 5 or 6 times a day. i'm now up to sets of 10. do it doing the week and take the week ends off. never get near your max. if you get real sore start doing it every other day. after a couple of weeks take 2-3 days off and test again, up max will go up.

7. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

nope its a different routine. It is NOT multiple sets. Its a SINGLE set every day except sunday. Increase a rep on that set every 2 weeks. If I can afford to do 6 sets of pull ups a day, I might as well do Pavels ladders :).

8. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

yeah, i really don't think that work out is going to give you enough work to make good gains,but you might want to try it. pavel has some really good stuff.

9. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I think that's a type of specialization routine. Almost like greasing the groove, but instead of multiple sets, you do one. Pretty neat. Works with other stuff as well. I tried it with dips (stopped just short of failure though, which probably made gains less than what they coulda been), but it worked. I think I went from 10 dips to something like 5 dips with 20 pounds strapped on in a matter of three weeks or something like that.