Weird pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by PlasmaShock, May 3, 2009.

1. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

I've been having trouble with these two pains for quite some time:

1. Whenever I do side splits stretches or side leg lifts, I get pains in the area of the below picture:

[​IMG]

It doesn't feel like it's directly in the muscles though. It feels like it's either a hip, joint, or even a bone problem? Will it go away from continued stretching?

One possible reason I think might be from is accutane(sometimes known to cause sore joints as a side effect) because I never had this problem before I started taking it.

2. Whenever I flex my glutes or spread my legs for straddle stretches, I get a pain in the area below. If I flex hard enough, it will pop and the pain slightly goes away but comes back again:

[​IMG]

2. Dao

Dao Valued Member

Hello,
    It sounds very much like joint issue. I suggest you go see someone knowledgable in this area as it sounds like your hip is not tracking in the joint properly.
    Over time this can lead to labral tears and/or osteoarthritis.

As you are young person this should be easily correctable with appropriate therapy however I advise against self diagnosis and self treatment without first consulting an expert.

Regards,
    Dao

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  3. twistor59

twistor59 Valued Member

Could be an impingement problem. I have FAI (Femoro Acetabular Impingement). Basically in impingement, either the ball or the socket in the joint isn't quite the right shape.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

do your joints click? do you have reduced mobility? Does it take longer to recover after a tough training session?

Is it a dull pain? A sharp or shooting pain?

5. PlasmaShock

I'm already seeing a physio about my back problem but where can I find help for this problem on my own?

I have snapping hip syndrome and heavily reduced mobility. It also takes longer to recover from training(mostly weights since my problems have caused me to quit martial arts all together).

The pain for first one isn't to sharp but it feels also like an intense dull pain, getting sharper near the limit of my flexibility. The second one starts off dull then gets sharp when I flex and then goes away when it pops.

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Can't say for the rest (and I wouldn't want to) but this bit sounds like tendon issues. Like they're too short maybe? Have you asked your physio about it?

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The majority of hip pain that occurs during side split-type stretches is due to not sufficiently rotating the pelvis. As a result, the top head of your femur jams into the acetabulum (hip socket). The position of your pelvis in relation to the rest of your body [in side split-type stretches] should look like this:

[​IMG]

This is may be the case moreso if the pain you describe only occurs when doing these types of stretches, and at no other time.

Additionally, if you have been stretching with increased intensity then you should know that increased flexibility enhances the leverage of the joint's bones, causing greater frequency in popping or clicking. The sound is caused by the iliofemoral ligament moving over the head of the femur during either hip flexion or abduction, and pain can be sign of inflammation.

I would advise introducing additional strength training into your workouts, targeting all the muscles that stabilise the hips. If after a number of weeks your situation does not improve, go see your doctor.

Stay well.

8. PlasmaShock

I don't quite understand the picture. For the toes pointing forward split, the butt should be pushed back more? Or the hips more forward?

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Pushed back more. If you rotate your pelvis sufficiently, your hips will do this automatically.

One method of visualisation I use with my students and clients is this: Imagine a cable has been attached to the base of your spine (at the coccyx). This cable is attached at the other end to the ceiling. As you lower yourself into a side split, the cable becomes taught and it causes your pelvis to rotate. Your butt should want to roll up to face the ceiling as much as possible. It may also help to push the front of your pelvis down and between your legs.

Failing that, you could opt for the floor-based "toes up" version, in which your pelvis is already rotated sufficiently. This video shows how to increase the stretch in the toes up version:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NskaHE42qm4"]YouTube - Superfoot's Secrets For Success Series - Vol. 1 Clip[/ame]

Stay well.

10. PlasmaShock

Oh okay I understand. I was confusing the picture with "how not to" or something like that.

Thanks.