Weightlifting and a Vegetarian Diet

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gray, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Gray

Gray New Member

Hey all. I'm a vegetarian. My diet is classified as 'ova-lacto', meaning I eat no animal products apart from eggs and dairy. My diet choice is purely a 'moral' one. (Before anyone starts, you don't kill animals to get milk and eggs. And on that note, I get eggs from my own chickens, so nyaaaah :p)

Although I suppose I have a pretty peaceful view on my eating habits, I am not exactly a non-violent person, in that I love practically all forms of 'combat sports'. Training in Muay Thai myself, I was intrigued by the benefits of weightlifting in my fighting game shortly after joining here and I occassionally post questions regarding my training in general.

Anyways, I've always been curious about the differences between muscle growth and development in a vegetarian body vs a 'normal' body through weightlifting. Currently the only two lifts I regularly perform are benchpress and barbell curls (I know, I know, I need more compounds...). In particular, I'm interested in how the differences in diet feeds and forms the muscles. For example, although I do take supplements and drink protein shakes and get plenty of tofu in me, I definitely have less of a protein intake than someone who regularly eats red meat.

If it matters, my diet usually consists of a lot of pasta, a lot of bread, fruits and vegetables (more than your average Joe anyway), tofu and tofu-products, curry (particularly with a lot of chickpeas), eggs, and a lot of milk (as well as the aforementioned supplements and protein drinks). Junk food doesn't commonly enter my system, absolutely no drugs, and alocohol consumption is a rarity. Anyway, I'm wondering how that nutrition will affect the way my muscles are formed by my weight training. Note that I'm not really asking 'How do I get the big manly muscles?', I'm asking 'How will continuous weighted exercise affect the size and shape of my muscles under my diet?' And if anyone has some advice on healthy, beneficial vegetarian-suitable foods, that'd be great.

Some links to articles (in understandable words; I'm not savvy with scientific food terms) would be great.

Thankies.

2. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

Hi Gray,

Finally a vegetarian Muay Thai practitioner ;) Same here .I would also be looking for some answers here . But one thing i noticed is that i have a very quick effect of supplements. Creatine especially showed amazing results. I have started taking Glutamine, flaxseed Oil capsules, whey protein and multi vitamin. The recovery is top notch and i am feeling more energetic through out the day .

The vegetarian diet is mostly healthy. I have seen a lot of vegetarian pople with excellent muscle growth. With sufficient supplements i dont think there should be any major differences.

3. Gray

Gray New Member

I thought I was the only vegetarian MT guy. High five!

Hmm... I don't take creatine. But it helped you a lot? I should look into it.

4. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

im not a veggie (i find the practice barbaric ;) ) but you should check out mike mahler on the web. he is a vegan strength trainer and has a lot of good info on diet for those who live without the sweet taste of meat.

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

6. gutsglorydesire

Yes it helped me a lot. I would have posted my before and after creatine pics but then everybody would use my pic whenever they need to flame any nerd :eek:

But seriously look into it :)

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Stay away from soy protein! I've read it blocks testosterone production.

If you're drinking milk, animals still die. When we get the young calves we only keep the cows, since the bulls are useless for milk production. We usually slaughter the young bulls. Although not in your case since you have your own hens, industrially the cocks are usually slaughtered as chicks.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Why dont all japanese men have man boobs, infact the west has more man boobs i find it hard to believe the soy testosterone thing?

9. Goldline

Goldline New Member

I only started Kickboxing early this year, and are also a veggie. Before then i was very much in to gym work. I had to drop 2 stone in weight to match the fighting of the guys i train with. Athough i had plenty power, i found, whats the point if you cant move quick enough to use it. There is a good review of suppliments and how they work in octobers or novembers mens fittness mag. At the moment I use creatine for 2-3 months at a time then whey protein for my month off to give my kidneys a rest. This works for me but neededs to go hand in hand with plenty of hard training for a good result.

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

there is plenty of evidence out there. google it and you'll find some. until then be quiet so we can stay on topic.

11. Razwell'shere

Razwell'shere Banned Banned

Millions of years of evolution dictated we are OMNIVORES. Vegetarianism is NOT healthy for a member of the human species.

We have four CANINE teeth, UNLIKE vegetarian animals.

We have molars that are ridged, (NOT flat), UNLIKE vegetarian animals.

We CAN NOT digest CELLULOSE, UNLIKE vegetarian animals

We have Hydrochloric acid in our stomachs (TO DIGEST MEAT) UNLIKE vegetarian animals

Our intestinal tract is shorter , more similar to a dog's, but not quite that short, UNLIKE vegetarian animals. Animals meant by evolution to be vegetarian have very long digestive tracts

Human beings are OMNIVORES with a strong canine tendency., but we also are not pure carnivores like LIONS.

We NEED leafy greens like the Paleolithic Man, but also a good supply of fatty meat. Our DNA is exact to the Paleolithic caveman and fatty meat was
    the main thing everything else revolved around. They found the remains of us hunting the Rhino, Hippo and Mammoth. Also the fat from the buffalo we ate was more saturated than beef.

and finally heart disease is FAR LESS in Northern India where they are meat eaters,

rather than in Southern India where they are vegetarians and have 7 times more incidence of heart disease.

www.normshealy.net/archived.htm

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  12. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i dont get why people dont eat meat... moral reasons?? okaaaay. well then what about all the other moral things, you cant be just 1/8 moral or whatever im bored... lol

13. gutsglorydesire

Sheesh !!!! :bang: :bang: Do you guys even read what the thread is all about .

Just go and take your baggage in the rant thread :rolleyes:

14. Hedgehog Ninja

Hedgehog Ninja New Member

Nowhere did you actually state how "vegetarianism is unhealthy for the human species". This leads me to believe you haven't actually researched the subject.

And that bit at the end about India is ridiculous. So in an almost purely meat-eater-dominated country, heart disease is 7 times less? Hey, I think you should look at an atlas one day - you might notice a country called "America" which, if you haven't noticed, is one of the biggest meat-dominant countries around and is also sadly the most obese country (and therefore most prone to heart disease).

By the way, about your comment as to the Paleolithic Man - sarcasm aside you have to be careful about using facts about the diet of Stone Age cultures. Many of those cultures were totally dependent on their environments; so arctic cultures where plant-based food is rarer would have a mainly meat-based diet. There are many other cultures (I believe there were certain American Indian tribes) who did include meat in their diet but preferred to eat plant-based food - at least that's what we deduct from their remains and from what we know about their culture and morals.

I accept that there is a very strong bias both in the MA community but also in the fitness world as a whole against vegan and vegetarianism for a number of reasons, one of which is that a lot of vegans don't look very healthy. This was because vegans didn't know how to eat healthily without meat 7-8 years ago. As Mike Mahler, myself ;) and many others are proving, this is quickly becoming history. :D

I'm not 1/8 moral. I try to be as moral as I can be. I don't eat meat because I do not want my existence (or subsistence, rather) to be at the cost of hundreds (thousands?) of lives to feed me as an individual. Think about it for a sec - it scares the **** out of me to think that I might be indirectly (and jointly) responsible for the deaths of millions of other living creatures.

On a closing note, I would recommend researching both sides of the argument more before posting something that's likely to upset people. My apologies - sincerely - if I was brusque or rude in the first half of this post, but you have to understand that there were a lot of errors in your post.

Thanks

-HN :yeleyes:

15. Razwell'shere

I Think you Should Read My Posts And My Links.

The Arctic Ate Meats.

My Info Is very Accurate Fool

READ MY POSTS ABOUT THE AHA

WE EVOLVED TO BE OMNIVORES BY ALL THE EVIDENCE THAT HUMANS ARE BORN WITH. READ ALL OF THE LINKS IN ALL OF MY POSTS.

THOSE HUNTERS YOU MENTIONED WERE FOND OF EATING THE BRAINS TO GET FAT IN TIMES OF TOO LEAN MEAT. FATTY MEAT WAS SOUGHT AFTER.

AS FAR AS AMERICANS. THEY EAT TRANS FATTY ACIDS MANY THINGS THAT HAVE HYDROGONATED VEGETABLE OILS, MUCH SUGAR

HEART DISEASE WAS VERY VERY LOW IN AMERICA PRE HYDROGONATED VEGETABLE OILS. IT'S ALL IN THERE FOOL.

MUST NOT BE PLEASANT BEING THE VICTIM OF A 50 YEAR SCAM

AGAIN READ MY LINKS FOOL
    THE MASAI, FRANCE ( AREA WHERE THEY EAT THE MOST MEAT HAS LEAST HEART DISEASE) , ESKIMOS, OKINAWANS ALL EAT PLENTY OF MEAT AND HAVE VERY LOW RATES.

16. gutsglorydesire

:bang:

I dont know what we were evolved to be ..but it seems you did not evolve to be forum user.

Please dont make personal attacks ,that spoils the thread

And for heavens sake turn the capslock off :bang:

17. Razwell'shere

Can't handle being lied to by the AHA for years???

18. Hedgehog Ninja

Hedgehog Ninja New Member

Um, OK.

I did read your post...although the caps hurt my eyes.

I don't know what "THE AHA" is and I'm not sure if I want to. Do they type in all caps?

Yes, the Arctic people did eat meat. I said that.

Um, yeah...? I agree that Stone Age people ate meat - just that in many cultures it wasn't their staple, mainly because it was too unreliable as a food source. They didn't eat meat as much as people thought.

Heart disease in America was very very low pre fast foods ;)

I actually get the impression I'm wasting my time, which is a pity because I'd enjoy having a polite conversation on this topic as I feel there are a lot of myths to be disspelled.

I also feel that I'm the only one reading posts around here. :)

-HN. :yeleyes:

P.S; Sorry Gray - didn't mean to hijack your thread. Congratulations on your choice mate :D In answer to your question, I find that as long as I keep on putting in a lot of good protein and a little very good quality fat, the muscular development is great. For energy I eat a lot of oats (meaning muesli and bars) plus I have an addiction to soya yogurt.

For protein I'm currently addicted to good quality green lentils, along with tempeh and tofu. Believe it or not almost all seeds are also a great sourceo f omega-3 and -6 fatty acids and good quality protein, both of which are important for health and for your activities. Here's a link to an article where Mike Mahler gives an example of what he eats - interesting reading! :)

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/mahler_big_strong.htm

19. Razwell'shere

Soy Is terrible For Your Heart Another Aha Myth

Like I Said, Fool. paleolithic Caveman Not Neolithic, PALEOLITHIC Pre Agriculture, Fool! WE ARE THE SAME GENETICALLY AS THE PALEOLITHIC CAVEMAN

Agriculture Was The Downfall.

Paleolithic Ate Meat Neolithic Was Different.

Grain Was Only Introduced 10,000 Years Ago In A 2 Million Year History Fool

YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE AHA

IT STANDS FOR THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION. THE BIGGEST SCAM ARTISTS LYING PROPOGANDA MAKERS EVER.

READ MY AHA POSTS AND ALL MY LINKS AND THIS ONE

www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

20. gutsglorydesire

Ummm..hedgehog ninja its simple actually please ignore him.

The main question is which supplements have you tried and found particularly good.

And being a veggie killed me in a week in England. How do you survive?