Water and creatine?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jamo2, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Ive always wondered......
    Why exactly do you have to drink lots of water whilst taking creatine.

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

AFAIK, it's because it's a cell volumiser. It draws water into the muscle cells.

3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I think its due to the fact that creatine attracts water, or water is attracted to it. It tends to super-saturate muscle cells with water. When it enters the cell, it enters as creatine+water.

This is a good thing. More hydration = more anabolic.

People often notice 3-5lbs of gain in a week or two when 1st starting creatine. Also, its cool, because you also notice your muscles are much harder.

4. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

here's a better description

5. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Not quite acctually, those were taken from THIS.
    If you read on, youll see the mistakes in that post.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

yeah i read that, but the amount of technical talk is not quite easy for the newb.

in simple terms it is correct, creatine does make you retain more water but the reason you need more water is for the amount of creatine your taking in.

sure ATP is not burnt but how else dso you easily describe the chemical reaction?

7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Who you calling a newb....newb ;)

8. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

The chemical reaction is not in need of an explanation. The reaction has nothing to do with what he was asking haha. But if you must have a simple explination, creatine is ingested to up the levels of phosphocreatine in muscle. The phosphorus thats attached to it, is readily availible for donation to ADP making it ATP. ATP provides energy.

Which is why suplementing with a highly bio-availible form of phosphorus (inositol is what I use) stacked with creatine is extremely effective (especially for ectomorphs)