Vertical Jump height wavering?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Orangeseger, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

I have been working on my vertical jump height for a good while now, and with help from many members of MAP, I learned a lot about plyometrics and various training methods.

I have been able to successfully dunk several times, but I notice that there are times when I fail to reach that height. It's annoying because I want to demonstrate the ability, but I worry that I might be having one of those "off days."

I suppose I might be jumping slightly different, and therefore it's just a flaw on technique, or perhaps I'm tired, or my flexibilty is impaired. I could be dehydrated, it could be many things. It's not too serious, but if I want to continue increasing, I first need to be able to stay consistant.

Any ideas why this is happening.

2. CuppoJava

CuppoJava New Member

It's normal.
    From experience, the most probable cause is either hydration or diet. Ensure that you've had enough to eat that day.

Do you drink coffee or any other caffeinated drink by chance?
    The low after a caffeine rush has a great effect on energy levels.

3. Orangeseger

No, I try to avoid drinking caffeinated stuff. I prefer water, iced tea, orange juice, or green tea.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Bang out 30 seconds of hip flexor stretching on each side then give it a try. You might be surprised!

5. Orangeseger

Thanks, I'll try it.

6. Ad McG

You know which stretch I mean? It's a lunge-style stretch of the back leg. Put your hand up in the air to increase it.

7. Orangeseger

Yeah I know the one. Would it be a good idea to do them, alternating right and left leading foot, and perhaps add some medium hand weights?

8. Ad McG

No need for weights, just 30 seconds each side after a little warm up and a first go at dunking, then go try to dunk or VJ. You should notice a difference.

9. Orangeseger

I have tried that, and I do notice a slight increase in height. Right now, I'm working on flexibility for that region like you instructed, and I'm worknig the calves, and the muscle under you abs that I hear about. I've heard strengthing them will add height as well.

10. Ad McG

Work more on posterior chain strength, the calves actually have little influence on VJ height. Romanian deadlifts are your new friend!

11. Orangeseger

Yeah, I heard they might only add an inch or two, possibly not even that. I'm more concerned with developing them to help with landings.

Romainian deadlifts eh? I'll do that.

Thanks for the continued advice!

12. spirez

spirez Valued Member