Use Ice my best friend!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bluesash, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

With all Due respect far and wide high and low, Ice for the price is the best pain reilver with out drugs!, I got some on my neck right now, it feels great and it works fast, ad salt for that freeze effect. Pain...

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

True, the treatment for a muscle pull or tear is to apply ice. This relaxes the muscle and helps relieve any spasm. Apply ice to an injury and rest it until the pain and swelling reduces. You should apply the ice for about 20 minutes at a time for several days to reduce inflammation.

As in the RICE method.... ice is used to constrict blood vessels. Icing limits the bleeding into the affected area, which in turn reduces swelling. It also prevents further bleeding which can cause calcium deposits to form in an around injured area later on.

3. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Heat is a friend too :D

4. Kamon_student

Kamon_student New Member

Combination of ice and heat is key after icing injury area once that inflammanation is gone u should ice injury say 10 mins than heat 10mins then ice again 10 mins
    :)

5. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

lol yeah, so if ever you break your leg, just set yourself on fire and youll be fine.

6. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

This is also a reason ice can be bad. While it does lower inflammation, it can inhibit the healing process for the reason above. Also, make sure you dont overly ice the affected area by covering the ice pack, etc with a decent towel. Never apply an ice pack directly to your skin.

If youre too poor to use other means, ice is ok in my book =)

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Always in the gym bag.

Ice pack -

Heating pad -

Compression wrap -

400mg Ibuprofen tablets -

The ice pack and the heat are obvious ones to have for recovery. Compression wraps are great for taking down swelling and preventing massive swelling in the first place.

The Ibuprofen is great for taking down swelling. It's non addictive, and as long as you don't hit more than 1200 mg. in a day your fine. It will also help manage some of the pain. People often hop on the silly train...

'Oh I don't want to take pills... ya know I like it all natural'

LOL! Hey knock yourself out. Nuerotoxin is all natural... I suggest maybe you dose on that. :D

8. BST

BST New Member

Smartass, you make me question myself thinking you dont have any common sence. while i prefer ice for about 20 minute after the injury, then ultra strength tiger balm after that. i use tiger balm because the heat from the ointment causes red bloodcells into the area, bringing nutrients and oxygen, and taking the toxins out of it. just like building a home on a lush green hill with good soil and a lake full of fish, rather than building a home on a battle ground, still smoking from the bombs hitting it. it just makes sence. So i wouldnt suggest to people that it is best to hold a lighter up to a pulled muscle, it wont feel good and i dont think it will look pretty after 10 minutes. cold and heat are your best friend when it comes to muscle injurys. while a little over the counter feel good candy always works too :eek: ;)

9. Kamon_student

Kamon_student New Member

After inflammation has gone done after 2-3 days massage is a good way to encourage blood flow and get rid of any cell debri or toxins lying around the damage area. Massage should not be used when in inflammation is still present as you can further damage the area.

Wood lock oil is good :)

10. Jutsuka

Jutsuka New Member

This has only ever happened once but after I strained the tendon in my knee I was treating with both ice and heat. But I didn't allow enough "rest" time in between treatments and ended up with a really weird burn on my knee. It was only there a few hours but it stung like crazy. I was using extra strngth heat rub and ice, swapping them over straight away.

So I never put heat rub on cold skin anymore, or ice on really hot skin. Am I the only one who has had this happen? (Probably, I can be a bit silly at times.)

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Are you sure you didn't leave the ice on to long or did you apply the ice directly to the skin?

12. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Im sure I said this in a previous thread somewhere here:
    Never use ice with a an externally applied warming substance at the same time. Dampness...If its short term, wind dampness. Can cause chronic problems. Space out icing/heat treatments by atleast an hour.

13. Jutsuka

Jutsuka New Member

I don't reallly know how it happened. I was using a cloth with the ice pack. The only thing I can think is that I didn't space out the different treatments enough. It's taking the skin temperature from one extreme to the other and that couldn't have been good.

Like I said though I haven't done it since. But I haven't hurt my knee since. My rehabilitation has gone really well.

14. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

All hail KC, as usual. :D

No matter how many times we are told RICE, how many times do we actually do it? After getting massive lectures off consecutive physios I have started doing this all the time on injuries, even fairly minor knocks, and it makes all the difference.