Training with low weight

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by G.Razvan, Aug 18, 2011.

1. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Hello. As I can't afford going to gym I decided to do my workouts home :)
    The porblem is that my equipments are not very serious. 2X10 KG (22 pounds) dumbells, ab roller, extensor and hand grip. I decided to do the exercises with speed becuase I read that it is better in MA.
    Now, my questions are about general things. How should I do the sets and reps (how many?). How long should the breaks between exercises and workouts be? And of course what exercises should I do (according to my psoibilities) to give me a nice competition.
    My goals are simple strenght(power),mobility,flexibility and fighting skill.

Thank you very much :)

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

My suggestion would be to use the weights for conditioning exercises and look into bodyweight/gymnastic training for strength.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/

Look at the forum on this^ site for some good advice.

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

the issue I have with "do the exercises at speed" is the chance to possibly cause injury. An increase in speed often means a decrease of control and form and as a beginner form may very well be suspect to begin with. If anything I'd say focus on static holds. For example, grab your dumbells and hold them out to your sides, arms parallel to the floor, elbows straight but not locked. Try doing 3 sets comprised of 30 seconds each. It may not sound like much but it gets hard. Increase time as necessary to handle any increase in strength. Try various points on the overall range of motion as well for variety. Try not to rest more than 10 seconds between sets when doing static holds with light weight.

If you can get your hands on an inexpensive chin-up bar, the kind you place beween a door frame or even the slightly more expensive ones (Though still not terribly pricey) you HANG on the door frame you can increase your exercise repertoire emmensly.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Aye, especially if you've not done what ya need to with regards to building up those support muscles ( core? ) around your spinal area...as I found out again and again.

To the OP

I've a spartan dumbell set up as well and if you've a bench you can actually come up with a pretty good variety of excercises with just dumbells and a bench.

You're gonna have to get more weights though...2, 10kGs won't do a thing for you except - what're they called - latteral raises? Anyroad, you need a couple of 16kGs minimum to get anythin out of it IMHO.

You live near a machine shop? Go by and ask if they've any spare cylindricals they've had to scrap during machining that they'd let ya have. That would do good for a dumbell sub. and free!

Cast iron scrap, various steels of different alloys are always laying around shops cluttering up the place. Just make certain that the diametre is no more than 10 or 11cm and also have them to shave off burrs that are left during the rough machine process or it'll cut your hands to pieces.

5. Bigmikey

You can also do a great deal with empty gallon milk jugs. Most i've seen anyone plop into one was 20 pounds! But he still had room to add a little more and as long as you tape them well to reinforce them they handle the load well enough.

6. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Hello. I thank you for the replies. As a matter of fact is really hard for me to do latteral raises or front (or any raises) with 10 kg so I guess they can still help me.
    As I read something about bodyweight trainings I think I'll emphasize on that. What about Paul Wade - Convict Conditioning, what you think?
    I'll also try the gymnastic site too. Thanks ;)

Have a nice day :)

7. Frodocious

You might struggle a little with some of the gymnastics training stuff if you don't have access to certain bits of equipment, but for some of the exercises you can cobble together your own equipment with household items.

For example, an inverted row can be done by using 2 chairs with a broom handle placed across them.

Mikey's suggestion about getting a chin up bar is a good one. Keep your eye on ebay (local auctions in particular) and you can pick up cheap equipment.

8. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Yes, pullups rule :p But I don't need becuase I have outside some bars :D

9. Frodocious

If you have outside bars you should find that you can do a lot of the gymnastics stuff using them.

10. Bigmikey

LOVE THIS EXERCISE!!!!

11. Frodocious

I do it with my gymnastic rings because the neutral grip is kinder to my shoulder. I'm currently doing it at angle standing, but working on getting back to the full version (not too rapidly though as I don't want to set off my shoulder again).

12. Bigmikey

*sigh* I love it when you talk like that :love:

13. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* Valued Member

Focus a lot on your core. What ever you do, don't rapidly lift your dumbbells! Slow, easy, and BREATHE PROPERLY! If you don't breathe properly, you can kiss half your work goodbye!

Regards

-Denny

14. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Hey, I think I'll start to emphasize on gymnastic and bodyweight stuffs and of course I'll do inverted row. Thanks !

15. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Rogert that! Thank you ;)