Training with a flu.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Chicago07, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hmm, quite an old thread...

My advice:
    Drink plenty warm water with lemon juice. It's good for flu.
    Keep off of dairy products also.

And don't train until it clears up!

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Yup...lots of fluids....lay off dairy....stay away from classes.

However, I would (and have) done QiGong, as it is benificial in speeding up the immune system. If standing is possible...fine..if not, then most QiGong can be done sitting.

:topic:

Welcome back to Lisa. :)

3. Dan Bian

I'll just clarify, by "training", I meant martial training. Qigong is good if you feel up to it.

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Ahah...that comment speaks volumes...:evil:

One point...even if you feel like laying in a heap...doing QiGong, even for 15 minutes, followed by a hot bath...you will feel a much better when your back wrapped up in your duvet.:)

5. Dan Bian

Also worth noting: There are certain qigong's that can be done laying down - another good point if you have flu and can't get out of bed.

Lets hope, even if we speak the same language, we use similar dialects.. :eek:

6. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Nothing changed much then lol:topic::evil:.

Try using ginger as well, it's very good for flu with lemon and honey lol.

7. lieqi fan

lieqi fan Valued Member

Depends on the Qigong, some of the more powerful forms e.g.shaolin neigong can run the risk of driving the pathogen deeper into the body, making you much sicker and taking longer to recover. If you must, keep it light. Personally, I go with the babying approach - lots of sleep, warming foods to support the spleen to build energy and fight infection.

8. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Whoa, be careful what advice you give!

If youve got a flu, sore throat, fever, or any other signs of heat, stay AWAY from heat-producing foods--You need to be DISPERSING heat with cooling items. Furthermore, trying to eat spleen tonics will only tonify the pathogen and cause additional problems. Flu isnt there from a weak spleen, flu is there because the pathogen entered your body.

The best thing for infections are wind-heat relieving formulas. Yin Qiao san is the common first-response formula; its cheap and works really fantastically well. Gan Mao Ling is awesome as well and works on a more general list of symptoms.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  9. lieqi fan

lieqi fan Valued Member

Who said it was wind heat? Common cold (if he's considering training, he hasn't got the flu) is far more likely to be Wind cold invasion and as he didn't mention fever, doesn't sound like it's turned to heat yet. My advice didn't ammount to much more than bedrest and chicken soup. Do you really think it's wise to be prescribing Chinese herbal formulas to someone over the internet?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  10. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

My advice:

-If you can make others sick (easily), don't train in class.
    -If you are going to suffer exessive sneezing/coughing/puking/etc (not just a slight congestion), don't train in class.
    -If you can't focus or walk straight, don't train in class.
    -If you're doctor/physician/medical advisor/medicine man/etc tells you to stay in bed, don't train in class.

If you do train in class:
    -Don't overexert yourself. Take it slow.
    -Stay hydrated.
    -Avoid coughing/sneezing/puking/etc on your classmates. It's not pleasant for them.

11. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

The title of the thead is "Training With a Flu". :rolleyes:
    Fact is, no telling what he has, and even if there was he doesnt have it anymore, given that the thread is over a year old.

Your advice was to tonify the spleen, which is not a good idea, regardless whether its heat or cold.

Certainly not, and thats a loaded question: Mentioning common formulas that are used for certain conditions is NOT prescribing. In fact, it wasnt even a recommendation, it was clearly informational in nature.