Training vs Exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gripfighter, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Well theres aerobic endurance and strength endurance
    Both factor into each other.
    A higher strength and power base lends into increasing your strength endurance.
    Lifting may help with this but the most common strength endurance test is a 2 min max push up test not benching.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

westside is getting bashed alot lately lol and especially by non geared lifters and alot of the bashing makes sense, for anon geared lifter the idea of switching the main lifts around is silly, they need to hone the limited number of movement patterns because you dont have a double ply suit to keep you upright lol, and you arent going to have a dozen different sticking points you need to address with different lifts because every RAW squat and bench fails in exactly the same place, and the deadlift in one of 2 places lol

as for the article s and c coaches also have to look after the health of their athletes and that needs more than just deadlift squats and bench and im sure he knows that.... you have to remember WHO the article is aimed at, t-nation readers, and read it accordingly

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

to be fair the russian and asian country's operated on the last man standing principle.....they put 100 or so athletes through the ringer for a decade and the 2 success stories that made it is what you hear about, the 98 crippled and back at home penniless you dont hear about, you cant get the same success using their methods unless you are prepared to do the same thing

and those western coaches who dont have a handle on this eastern stuff are still producing world class athletes and dominating their sports so its not like they arent having success

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Wow, if that dropped on his head!

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I started working on my overhead squat today with just the bar. I was happy that I wasn't having as many flexibility issues in the shoulders or hips that I thought I would and should be able to start adding some weight by the end of the week.

The fear of going down in the hole and having the bar drop on my head, or being thrown off balance was tremendous. Definitely an exercise you have to slowly work into : P. That guy was boss though.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I was refering to the wealth of development in sport science that came from coaches in country's like Russia during the Soviet years not the unsavery way athletes are treated like cattle.

Dominating sports those eastern country's don't really care about maybe (THEIR sports like you said), you can't say taking home gold's in sport's like Gymnastic's, Wrestling, Weightlifting, Judo is a certainty for Western European countrys and the US and Canada.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

but part of that dominating and sports science was the way they selected their athletes and beat them into the ground...the strong survived their sports science methods, the weak didnt and its still the same now with the chinese using the same methods ......whether you can apply that science to a country that wont accept the same treatment of athletes is debatable

And you could say the same in that the USA doesnt really care about those sports or put their money behind them, judo...weightlifting...so what? track and field, swimming etc they put the money behind and dominate largely......
    its never a black and white issue

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

but..

One thing that isn't really mentioned or talked about so far is ''what is strength?'' I know that since this is a weightlifting area people would tend to focus on what an Oly or power lifter would do for generalized body strength. One the other hand if one was to look at more isolated tasks you might find that the lifts don't always make you 'strong' in all aspects of what a person might be wanting to do. The same principles (SAID - specific adaption to imposed demands) might apply but maybe you wouldn't use the standard lifts. I did a paper years ago and defining terms like strength (versus force), fitness and related concepts was not nearly as simple as we sometimes believe.

When you look at stuff like building the gymnastic body (https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/for...nd-bodyweight-sc-supperior-to-weight-lifting/) or Ross Emamait's (www.rosstraining.com) you find dissenting opinions that the regular weight program is the best thing to do to build strength. I have seen demo's of both Ross Enamait and young gymnasts lifting large amounts of weight without having gone through a weightlifting program to develop those levels of strength. As was mentioned the article posted by the OP was written for T-nation and to some degree may be a case of someone preaching to the converted.

Just think that there is more to this stuff and that, as I mentioned before, although it was a good article, it is a bit simplistic in it's perspective.

LFD

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the sport science that helped them dominate like the most sophisticated talent ID programs and basically athlete breeding programs not to mention state organised doping from a young age?

i sit in labs going over university level athlete data and then in the library going over elite athlete data, ive spent time working with elite rugby S&C coaches and sport physios and i can tell you that none of the "sport science" stuff really makes a difference to noobs.

the best thing for most is solid work ethic, a sound understanding of anatomy and wearing shorts in the gym to remind you to squat.

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

to quote my S+C lecturer

"i've a big old booklet sat infront of me with you sylabus, its great fun. we'll be flipping tyres, standing on wobble boards, playing with bands, throwing sand bags and giving eachother piggy backs. i'd like to tell you all on a personal level that its all BS, strength and conditioining isnt sexy or exciting, its standing in a rack with a bar on your back and doing squats, 4 or 5 times a week. everything else just looks nice, it doesnt matter a damn. squat, stretch and run, you'll be alright"

ha

11. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

I think that's exactly and explicitly the way American wrestlers, for example, are selected and they often peak earlier and are crippled out a lot quicker than their Russian opposite numbers. I don't think the caring, sharing methods of the West versus the Eastern meat-grinder is a valid dichotomy.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

In the old soviet union the coaches decided what sport you would do, parents and kids didn’t get a say, state wide drug use was common, as was pushing them through training regimes which were designed to break them just to test thresholds etc, these things wouldn’t be allowed in the west if for no other reason than there are better state regulations and a more legal culture of suing people lol, im not saying the west is a caring and sharing place ( look at what happens in college American football), I am saying that the soviets got away with things that simply couldn’t happen in the west, and it was institutionalised in a way it would never be allowed here in the west and you have to take this into account when looking at the results

Just as you have to take into account the fact most American elite athletes are not handpicked for the OL sports as they were in the old soviet union, they get picked off by college football programmes first, then college basketball programmes, and then baseball and probably even lacrosse programmes. Track and field, weightlifting and other OL sports don’t get the best athletes as they do in the former soviet countries, they get what’s left by and large. There are a number of outstanding college wrestlers who went into the NFL simply because that’s where the money was for them

13. PointyShinyBurn

In the specific case of wrestling I doubt how much success you can pin on the institutionalised Soviet system, because disproportionately large numbers of their most successful ones came from a few areas in the Caucasus with a very long standing wrestling culture rather than any high-tech institutes at the centre of their empire.

Neither were they generally notorious for relative superiority in physical attributes, the stereotype has always been the strong, fit Americans with infinite cardio versus the tricky, technical Russians.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

maybe not, but how many of the best athletes from each respective country made it into the wrestling international area (the best american athletes usually are drawn into the paid sporting arena in the old soviet union, and still to this day their isnt the same drain on the talent pool as their is in the states), and the impact folkstyle v specific freestyle training had on those athletes can be debated

15. PointyShinyBurn

I don't think there's such a thing as "best athletes" across such varied disciplines. Especially when you're talking about American Football, where any dude under 100kgs need not apply, versus sports with lots of weight classes like freestyle or weight lifting or ones like gymnastics or long distance running where they're all tiny.

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The average size for a running back in the nfl is 5'11" 215lbs, in college its running back is 5 feet 10 inches, and 190

The average wight for a wide receiver is 185-225

Only two position but if you are between 190-220 pounds and 5,11 what sport would you go into one which might pay millions of one which doesn’t really pay anything??

And if you are smaller and weight less there are other options which probably pay more lol

Breakdown for average size D1 baseball players

Average characteristics for every position, by Division:
    Right-Handed Pitchers:
    Division I:
    Height: 6’1
    Weight: ≈ 180 lbs.
    1+ strikeouts per inning pitched
    ERA under 2.50
    Fastball velocity near 88-90 MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Division II:
    Height: 6’0′ (Preferably taller)
    Weight: ≈ 175 lbs.
    1strikeout per inning pitched
    ERA under 3.00
    Fastball velocity near 85 MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Division III
    Height: 5’9”
    Weight: ≈ 160 lbs.
    0.5 – 1 strikeouts per inning itched
    ERA under 4.00
    Fastball velocity near 81 MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Left Handed Pitchers:
    Division I
    Height: 6’1”
    1+ strikeouts per inning pitched
    ERA under 2.50
    Fastball velocity near 85-87 MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Division II
    Height: 5’10′ (Preferably taller)
    Weight: ≈ 165 lbs.
    1 strikeout per inning pitched
    ERA near or under 3.00
    Fastball velocity near 83 MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Division III
    1 or fewer strikeouts per inning pitched
    ERA under 4.00
    Fastball velocity near 79 MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Outfielders:
    Division I
    Height: 5’11”
    Weight: ≈ 170 lbs.
    60 Yard Dash: 6.6 (measured by impartial source))
    Velocity from the OF: 86-87 MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Division II
    Height: 5’10″
    60 Yard Dash: 6.8 or better (measured by impartial source)
    Velocity from the OF: 82-86 MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Division III
    Height 5’8”
    60 Yard Dash: 7.0 or better (measured by impartial source)
    Velocity from the OF: 78+ MPH (measured by impartial source)
    Middle Infielders:
    Division I
    Height: 5’11”
    Weight: ≈ 175 lbs.
    60 Yard Dash: 6.8-6.9 or better (measured by impartial source)
    Velocity from INF: 85+ MPH from SS (measured by impartial source)
    Division II
    Height: 5′ 9″
    60 Yard Dash: 6.9 or better (measured by impartial source)
    Velocity from the INF: Low 80s MPH from SS (measured by impartial source)
    Division III
    Height: 5’8”
    Weight: ≈ 150 lbs.
    60 Yard Dash: 7.1 or better (measured by impartial source
    Velocity from the INF: Upper 70s MPH from SS (measured by impartial source)
    Catchers:
    Division I
    Height: 5’10”-6’0”
    Pop Time: 1.95 or better (measured by impartial source)
    Division II
    Pop Time: 2.0 or better (measured by impartial source)
    Division III
    Pop Time: 2.1 or better (measured by impartial source)
    Corner Infielders:
    Division I
    Height: 6’2”
    Weight: ≈ 200 lbs.
    Power Stats: 8+ HR, 30+ RBI
    Division II
    Height: 6’0″
    Power Stats: 4+ HR, 20+ RBI
    Division III
    Weight: ≈ 170 lbs.
    Power Stats: 2+ HR, 20+ RBI
    General Grade Expectations for All Divisions:

The point is if you are athletically gifted in the states, ie have good coordination, explosive, good speed etc, you have more of a choice of sportas to take part in, and those which are better recuited and pay more tend not to be the OL sports so to measure coaching ability on just OL sport achievements skews the numbers a bit

17. Ameey

Ameey New Member

Are you just giving your body exercise, or training with a purpose in mind? Although the terms exercise and training are often used interchangeably, they are not the same thing! Take your workout to the next level with objective and focus and train your body to be the greatest shape it can be.

18. therger

therger New Member

I think both are same but training gives you professional skills and exercise is routine work.
    Are you agree with me?

Give me some suggestion!