Train to Failure

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pgm316, Apr 9, 2003.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

During training sessions, I’m thinking more your own personal workout sessions rather than general MA training. What are your thoughts on training to failure or how far should you push for best results.

2. Cain

Cain New Member

I don't and probably would'nt do to failure on squats wuth weights, but I aim for failure at least twice a week in bodyweight exercises, I don't keep a schedule as such, just like to see how far
    I am capable of pushing myself....sort of like a self test ;)

I take care though, I once had stopped in the middle of a push up when my hands gave way and I kissed the floor....

|Cain|

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i basically prefer quality in my training session if i m working for my cardio/stamina/endurance then it may be different depending on the goal.
    -TkdWarrior-

4. THEGREAT1

THEGREAT1 New Member

it depends entirely on what your goals are

training to failure always helps with stamina but can be detrimental to muscle build strength etc etc

5. khafra

khafra New Member

Also depends on what you're talking about -- Aerobics to failure would be rather silly. Resistance training to failure is valuable, with the caveats stated above--be safe (not on squats, use a good spotter) and allow sufficient recovery time and nutritional support.

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I will usually go to failure with weights, but that doesn't take too many repetitions anyway as you increase the weight.

Things like sit-ups and press ups I'm never sure the best way to do. I usually don't go till failure, I often feel better for it with the recovery times being shorter and the workout less intense! ;)

7. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I train to failure on alot of exercises. I am going to strength and muscle size. I think it's beneficial if anything.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes - I train to failure.

Only by reaching your limits can you hope to exceed them.

9. Cain

Cain New Member

Spoken like a true Yoda, Yoda

Can I quote you on my sig? :D

|Cain|

10. rossboxing

rossboxing New Member

Failure

Failure training has its place in the overall routine, particularly for bodyweight exercises such as squats, pushups, and pull-ups. Just be sure to incorporate variety. You should not train the same way every day. Intergrate failure training with conditioning (anaerobic) and explosive plyometrics drills.

Plyometrics should never be performed to failure, as it defeats the purpose of enhancing explosiveness throughout the muscle fibers.

Training to failure on bodyweight exercises however will create tremendous muscular endurance and willpower. You will be mentally challenged to keep working.

Balance intense training with lighter sessions to foster continous improvement while avoiding over-training.

Good luck...

Bodyweight training / conditioning
    http://www.warriorforce.com

11. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I did that once too...my shoulder was pretty sore after that.

12. Benn

Benn New Member

But your face wasn't? :p

13. Cain

Cain New Member

My chin was :( and my arm was'nt sore, it was like almost broken, ie I bring my hand up to comb my hair but I even hardly had the strength to keep my arm up, lost control, it dropped down instead :eek:

|Cain|