train every day or rest?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Fujimoru, May 11, 2014.

1. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

After my training yesterday I find that I'm pretty much done. I have the motivation to train more but my body is pretty sore. I was just curious on peoples philosophies on "rest days" Or to train every day?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Rest days.

All good programmes should have rest days built in.

Some prefer active rest days, which can include something like walking, but I think 1-2 complete days off is better.

3. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Depends on your age and goals. When I was young I trained 2x a day.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Should definitely have a days rest. It's not a nice feeling when you're motivated but physically unable :p

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I tend to do better with rest days. But my "rest days" tend to be rather active-dance/cardio/etc. These "active" rest days, even though they're plenty active, are focused on more relaxed activity. It gives your nervous system a break from MA intensity while keeping you active.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Depends what you mean by "train" :)

In an art that does patterns/forms/kata then it's possible to run through them slowly for example.

Mitch

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Always best to allow yourself some rest. It doesn't have to be a complete rest as you can often do gentle stretches, walks and very slow drills on rest days. But there's nothing wrong with a complete rest either.

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's not a good idea to get yourself totally exhausted. It's better to only push yourself to the 80% of your limitation. You still want to train more but you force yourself not to. This way you will always "look forward to your next training". Also if you get yourself totally exhausted, when some emergency thing happen that require your energy to handle, you may put your life in dangerous situation.

Also training should always be blended in with our daily life. We train many times daily and not just many times weekly.

When you

- watch TV, you stretch.
    - open door, you kick.
    - walk you dog, you train footwork.
    - make love, you do push up.

9. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

yeah , thanks for the replies, I have been taking semi rest days where I do a little workout or a little walk / jog. Im trying to find the routine which gives the maximum potential benefit which I think is a good goal to work towards.

10. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

soreness is part of training, endurance is key, no pain no gain, i believe if your heart is set and you have the time, you should train all day every day and then you should also dream about training in your sleep.... of course most of us dont have time, we are busy thinking and doing other things, i work 70 hours a week with mouths to feed and bills to pay, so i dont train like i used to, but i still try to implement my training into my job at work, i still train with my friends when i can, and i try my best no matter if im sore or tired.... so keep moving, dont give up, cuz eventually your will to train will overcome any obstacle, i promise, the pain is only temporary, the stronger you get, the less you will feel pain

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Can you use this attitude to push yours training through your old age (such as 80 years old)?

- You train because you "like" to train and not because you have to train.
    - You should never let any weight to dominate you, instead, you should always dominate your weight.

Old people play golf or tennis because they "enjoy" it. IMO, that's the best attitude for MA training.

Last edited: May 16, 2014