Track and Field Workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Trick Nasty, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

I'm looking to gear my workout to help me with track and feild. Imma do short distance running. 40 to 400 races. Is their anything I should include besides olypmic lifts and HIIT training along with normal running?

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

3. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Are you still in the off-season?

4. Beowolf

Beowolf Valued Member

Well, for me at least, the three month pre-season (winter track) starts up in november.

What events are your running, specifically?

Form is key, especially off the blocks if it's the hundred or two hundred your gonnarun. Work on weighted sprints, as well as downhill sprints. Power drills and box jumps are good two.

And in the weight room DEADLIFT. Nothing can replace the effeciency of the deadlift. Or deadlift vartiation. The PC is your friend. Trust me, your whole backside is way more important than your front in running.

Remember still, injury prevention is important. Work on strengthening your calves, as well as your dorsiflexors. Knee injuries are less common in track, but stretch em any way. Groin and hammy stretches, strengthening, and conditioning. And the big one, GLUTEALS are VERY important.

Good luck! If you get some times post em up, or PM me! I'm always willing to talk it up about track and field =P!

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

General conditiong, power drills and things like that. Hill sprints, plyometrics, pistols and some upper body of course. Pressups, chins, situps especailly you need. If you have more upper body weight this doesn't necessarily slow you down, it means you are less likely to 'take off' so You go faster. Burpees are nice too

6. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

I've actually never been on track. :p

I'm joing this year. My gym teacher told me to when I did the 400 in under a minute. My 40 yard dash could use some help. It was 4.8.

I think I'll do something like this:

Day 1
    Front Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press

Day 2
    Back Squat
    Clean and Jerk
    Shrugs

I have some other exercises in there like pull ups, dips, rows, ab stuff, caff(or calve?) raises.

7. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

EDIT: Forgot I do those Ultimate Burpees alot. Along with a bunch of Ross Emitt's conditioning stuff.

(Yes, I know I am "editing" in a seperate post.)