Tightness/Pinching in Hips

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by maverickoz, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mancherje

mancherje New Member

Follow up

Hi maverickoz. I have had the same problem with Muay Thai. I trained for a few months in 2009 and tried everything to fix my outer hip problem. I spoke to a sports doctor and he only gave me stretches to do (which didn't solve anything) and I spoke to random yoga instructors who also gave me useless stretches. I also combined that with styrofoam roller massage.

I eventually gave up on muay thai becuase of the physical pain that would last long past the workout, and the frustration with losing the ability to do simple technique. Your original post was a long time ago, I was hoping you could follow up on what happened since then. Did you learn more about the surgery, and did you choose to get it? Are you still training?

I am in thailand right now doing a muay thai camp and I was able to kick well for the first 3 days, now I am suffering from pretty intense pain and have lost the ability to roundhouse kick higher than hip level completely.

2. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

You didn't ask me specifically but I underwent surgery for this a few years ago now. You can check out a few posts in the blog I was writing at the time if you are interested.

http://www.trainingforsplits.com/?cat=16

Its a few years down the track now and I'm back training. I've had to pretty much forgo the high kicking focused styles like TKD and Hapkido which I was training in at the time but I am now training in Muay Thai and jujitsu with no real problems.

We had a high kicking session a few weeks ago and it was fine although I wouldn't want to do a lot of them on a regular basis.

I do notice it if I go too hard for too many kicks on the heavy bag with the leg I had surgery on but its not pain, it just feels bit weird so I try not to push it. Dont get me wrong I can still kick pretty damn hard, I just don't feel like I should kick as hard as I can, about 80-90% power.

After the surgery I was unable to walk for about 10 weeks, then couldn't get back into martial arts properly for almost a year. Have a think about whether MA training is important enough in your life to under go this, my surgeon said he would have discouraged it, if I hadn't been training for over 20 years and it was obviously a lifestyle for me.