Tight hamstrings

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hi,
    I have a problem with my hamstrings. When I kick they feel tight and sore. I have had X-rays done on my legs and seen the doctor they say there is no problem with the bone or anything. So its more of a muscle problem. What stretches should I be doing? Should I be doing weight exercises for my hamstrings?

Thanks.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

my hamstrings are very tight and sore from the last time I trained.

how often do you train Mr Pumpkin man? (that involves kicking and stretching)

3. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I am a firm believer in dynamic stretching.
    Leg raises mornin, noon and night, and whenever you have a spare 5 minutes, front and side.

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

little and often seems to work the best for flexibilty compared to a longer stretching session not as often.

dynamic stretching has certainly worked the best for me.

5. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Could be that its not a flexibility issue but that they're to weak. Hapuka do you do any Deadlifts, Stepups, Lunges, Cleans, GHRs, Leg Curls, or Back Extensions?

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Lol, I don't go to the gym. My mum and me are going to start going to the gym and build our muscles up. I torn one of them 5 months ago. Maybe because the muscle was weak? I don't know. :confused:

7. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

8. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Maybe you're just kicking higher than your current flexibility allows?

9. Jabcor

Jabcor Valued Member

Sorry if I get a tad off OT, but I'm curious about how leg raises increase flexibility. Please don't take this as me doubting what you say. I'm genuinely curious about any method that will help me increase my flexibility.

Thanks!

10. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Here

11. Jabcor

Jabcor Valued Member

Thanks Badger. I was thinking something completely different when you said leg raises. Glad I asked!

Sorry again for derailing the thread a bit!

12. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Well, Hapuka, any results from the dynamic stretching? Come on, lets have an update. :p

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

looks like I'll have to go to the libarary to get some stretching books. Any good ones I should look out for?

14. SickDevildog

I bet you $50 that it isnt primariliy a flexibility issue, weak hamstrings are running rampant nowadays, even top level college athletes have these problems.

Do a search for posterior chain on t-nation and see what comes up.

By all means stretch but dont neglect the strong possibility of you hamstring beeing as weak as a soggy old wornout worm.

You need Deadlifts
    GHRs
    Reverse Hypers (if you got a spot to do them)
    Good Mornings
    Hyper Extensions
    Legcurls
    Snatches
    Cleans
    Highpulls
    Pullthroughs
    etc

Here's a good article on the subject:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1686665

After that you can always worry about stretching IMO.

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I thought weak glutes were rampant and hamstrings were tight as a result of this.

16. SickDevildog

Good point, that's another piece to the puzzle. Can you link me to an article that talks about this? Thanks in advance.

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

18. SickDevildog

Thanks for the links.

19. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

As well as weak glutes and tight hammies, look for tight hip flexors.

20. whitematt

whitematt Valued Member

While working on increasing your flexibility, you need to stay hydrated. Drink lots of water throughout the day.