Tibual Tendonitus

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Ferret, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

This is just a general grumble at my own stupidity, a warning to others to get injuries checked out by professionals, and really to find out if there is any hope of me returning to a sport I love!

I train in taekwondo, so as you can imagine, there is a lot of bouncing and jumping. This combined with a 2 stone weight gain and over pronating feet has pretty much buggered up my tendons.

After almost a year of thinking I was suffering from shin splints (i posted on here a few times whinging about it, sorry guys), the pain in my shins became so bad. Its started with an ache on the inside, and has spread to my ankle and calf muscle. Walking is painful, stairs are impossible, and I get woken up at night in severe pain. Not nice at all, and thank goodness for painkillers!!

So, finally, enough was enough. I went to see a physiotherapist this week. I feel so stupid for not having sorted this out months ago. He told me I have tibial tendonitus! I've to have long term physio for this, plus he sent me off to a podiatrist to get checked out and to have custom orthotics made.

I've to give up TKD for the time being, which although I'm dissapointed about, it was just too painful to carry on.

On the upside, I've joined Weight Watchers to shift some fat, which is working out well so far! I've lost half a stone in 2 weeks. The more I can lose, the less my poor shins and ankles will hate me! I'm swimming and gymming too, to keep my fitness up.

So the moral here - if you are in pain, don't ignore it. Listen to your body, rest, and if it still hurts, go get it checked. It'll be better for you in the long run!

Anyone else suffered this annoying injury?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Very good advice, I hope it clears up soon.