The shakes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Obi-Wan, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan New Member

Ok......... I went the gym last night, for a good work out. Started with some Cardio stuff, then moved onto weights........ BUT......

After the cardio workout, and about 20 minutes into the weights workout I started to get the shakes, I lost all colour in my face and felt very sick.

I felt as if I was missing some sugar etc... I had a bottle of Lucazade sport with me (The thought of it at the time was making me feel even worse) but after finally drinking it all, and a rest I was ok.

My theory was I didn't have much to eat in the couple of hours before I went. I.e a Banana and apple at 3.45pm, went to the gym at 6.00pm.

My question is.......... When should you eat before training, and what???

For example if I were going the gym/MA training for 6pm.

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Somebody told me it takes 5 hours for food eaten to be turned to energy, until then it works against you using energy and giving you indegestion.

Although I can't train without eating, I feel weak like that obi. i try to eat a couple of hours before training and then its something low fat so it doesn't feel like you've eaten a brick.

3. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan New Member

What I have used in the past (will probably get killed for saying this) but a nice Mars bar goes down nicely about 3ish if I am going training that evening! :D

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi ObiWan

How much water had you drunk during the 20min cardio you did before the weights?

Hydration levels are far more important than what you eat prior to training.

The timing of your pre workout meal was fine - it just wasn't enough for someone with your build / metabolism.

Also - you'd be much better off doing your weights first then your cardio.

5. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan New Member

Hiya Yoda,

Hhmmm probably not as much as I should have, you could have hit the nail on the head there!! :rolleyes:

So, I need to eat more!!! Mmmmm food!! ;)

I thought as much, normally when I go the gym I finish with a run etc. But for some reason we decided to to the Cardio workout first! And probably never again!! :D

Thanks

6. YODA

Someone was talking crap.

It depends on many factors...

WHAT you eat
    What you eat it with
    Activity levels before & after you eat
    ... etc.

7. YODA

That Mars Bar will be gone digested & used as energy by 4pm.

8. YODA

So - you changed something and got different results, and wondered why you got different results?

LOL! Not rocket science is it?

Hehe - now go and give yourself a good slap on the forehead and shout DOH!

:p :p :p

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I was waiting for someone to say that :D
    I thought as much, think it was a rough explaination I got.

I do avoid fatty food though, things like chips I'd struggle to train for many hours after. Yoda, what type of meal would you recommend to eat say 2 hours before training, thats usually my problem, getting home from work hungry, eating too much then having indegestion while training.

10. YODA

A Big Mac works well :p

Two beef paties
    Salad
    Bread
    Bit of dressing
    ..... sounds like prety balanced nutrition to me :D

11. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan New Member

:( - Fair comment, I will go and get back under my stone now! ;)

But.......... the person who I was training with, and always train with was ok. I know everybody is different etc... But it just made me think

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

A Big Mac meal is usually after training, I should sue McDonalds, they've surrounded me with drive thoughs. Close to me theres, 4 McD, 2 KFC & 1 BKing. We'll be as obese Americans soon!

I think I'll stick to pasta.

13. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan New Member

MMMmmmmm KFC !!! :eek:

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Could be exertion shock, had that once (after a fourteen mile sponsored run, bloody school), it follows all the symptoms you described.

15. YODA

I'm just off out the shock myself by the exertion of popping down to McD's to sample a Chocolate Orange McFlurry - I've been poorly but I seem to have my appetite back today Wahooooo.......

16. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

hey, first of all Americans are not obese, just big boned, and its our parents fault, and we have a whole lot of other crap excuses and self denial to!!!(well at least i aint obese :>) But REALLY, u ate a banana and an apple? well correct me if i'm wrong but that is all sugar which boosted your blood sugar levels up quickly(sugar rush) but after your rush the blood sugar plunges to below normal. You feel tired b/c the sugar was only a quick energy rush. watever the reason i cant eat fruit alone and then do work either. SO DONT DO IT.

17. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

The warning signs of low blood sugar include:
    * sweatiness
    * nausea
    * blurred vision (seeing "spots")
    * shakiness
    * numb lips and tongue
    * irritability
    * passing out
    * fainting
    * cold
    * clammy skin
    * confusion
    * nervousness
    * weakness
    * rapid heart beat

18. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan New Member

Thanks!! the ones above are pretty much what I had! :rolleyes:

19. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

OK - you're wrong.
    Apples are mostly water with some fibre, sugar, salts, vitamins etc. Bananas contain more complex carbos which are fine to train on. Also, even if you do munch loads of sugar at once, your body will maintain a blood sugar level within normal limits after the initial peak has subsided unless you are putting your body under a lot of stress and it cannot activate an alternative energy source fast enough.

Cheers. :)

20. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

well thanks, but for whatever reason i get the shakes sometimes if i eat fruit alone and then do physical work.