The Long Distance Flight Fitness Routine Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Capt Ann, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Here is a challenge for all you MAP fitness experts: How would you construct an exercise routine for long distance air travelers? For example, what specific exercises would you recommend for a traveler who bounces back and forth on the 18 hour New York-to-Tokyo, Japan flight on a regular basis?

Ground Rules:
    1. You are limited to the standard space - business class seat with too little leg room, not quite enough head space to stand, people on either side of you (who would prefer you didn't grunt), and a tray table that might or might not stay upright.
    2. No free weights as carry-on.
    3. No wind sprints in the aisles.

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Honestly? I wouldn't bother. Cramped seats in an aeroplane are about the worst environment for fitness. I'd save it until I was on the ground.

However, if I wanted to keep myself from feeling groggy during and after the flight, I'd most likely try to stretch every major muscle group once every half hour or so, and if the in-flight movie was particularly dull, I might fling in some isometrics.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

i just got back from Hong Kong, long 12-13hour flights. Thankfully the in flight entertainment has gone from 1 film to 180 films starting at your own choice. So that would kill about 4-6hrs.

Dont sleep the night before the flight, sleep on the plane so that kills another 3-4hrs (i cant sleep on planes unless very tired)

So 6hrs film watching + 4hrs sleep = 10hrs meaning you got about 2-3hrs till you got to the destination. If travelling with a friend would basically mean you can just chat away, eating and going to the loo.

While in the seat, I stretched my arms, neck, feet and calves. Near the entrances of the plane/loo there is space for you to walk and do some stand up stretches. However if everyone is asleep you can use the floor and do some lying down stretches, however I wouldnt recommend that because you might as well start lying down in the middle of a high st...you have no idea what people have stepped on and what anyone else's hygiene is like.

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I'd go with Mushroom's advice, I can't think of many places worse than a plane, even an empty prison cell would let you do more stuff! Even if you could put together a routine which didn't get you restrained by the cabin crew it probably wouldn't be doing much.

See if you can use the time on the plane to free up some time when you're not flying, then concentrate on intense exercises to give you as much as you can get in that time. Tabata, timed compound sets, supersets and probably more than I can think of here would accomplish it pretty well.