Tell me your problems, my pretties

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what you should do is technically rehab, if you're already at a point where you literally have an inactive muscle. a qualified physical therapist who knows what they're doing could give you a proper assessment and adequate exercises for it.

that said, can't go wrong with trying some mobility work that involves supraspinatus action, and some stretching for the muscles that perform the opposite action(although the rotator cuff is one complicated mothertrucker, so don't try to find a specific antagonist, just go by the movement pattern).

a quick check indicates that the supraspinatus abducts the humerus until it's at an angle where the deltoids take over, but doesn't move the scapula itself, so this would mean you'd have trouble lifting your arm to the side without lifting the shoulder. as a complete shot in the dark in the name of nonscientific, nonmedical discussion (also because i'm curious :p), what happens if you do an eccentric lateral raise motion without holding any weight?

2. Nolan Froese

Nolan Froese Valued Member

I can raise my arms to the side without raising my deltoids. The test that they noted though was this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D933tO-Anao"]Empty & Full Can Tests - ThePainSource.com - YouTube[/ame] but with downward thumbs.

Both PTs said I was weak during this plane of motion. I believe I can do that without raising my deltoids though.

3. Nolan Froese

Nolan Froese Valued Member

I'm going in this Monday. I can ask a few questions.

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Hey van, I have a lot of trouble getting my hips loose, a problem that has recently led to a pulled muscle from roundhouse kicks. Lead leg round kicks are especially difficult and my side kicks definitely suffer. Do you know a good stretch or exercise I could do to help?

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Can I add a +1 from me about the side kicks (sokuto geri/yoko geri, that kind of stuff). My roundhouse kicks I don't really have problems with, but side thrusting kicks are awful and I can't get them consistently even to rib height. So any particular stretching advice for working on that would be grand.

6. Fish Of Doom

that's more leg lift strength than flexibility, IME (unless you consistently come close to pulling anadductor when you do them, it's fair to say that's likely your issue too).

7. Grass hopper

It's not that, I don't have any trouble raising my leg until my hip starts hurting at a certain height

8. Fish Of Doom

sounds like impingement, which means you're lifting the leg in the wrong direction (straight off to the side, where it doesn't go, so you impinge stuff and grind your femur against its socket). one of van zandt's stretching thread (the iso split progression one, i think) has it pretty well explained in relation to side splits.

9. Grass hopper

I'll make a video later of my leg movement during these kicks so you can see if that's the case, I'd love to have this fixed.

10. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

why dont i have post traumatic stress disorder after all that i;ve been through?

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Because nothing is as bad as you think it is.

Next question.

12. Fish Of Doom

may i go to the bathroom?

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Except "Avalanche Shark Attack"...that is every bit as bad as you think

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

No, you should have gone before you got up. :eek:

15. LemonSloth

That's not fair, you know he can't reach the toilets without assistance.

:p

16. Fish Of Doom

actually i usually just tie my shoes to my hair and use it as a grappling hook.

17. LemonSloth

...How do you throw yourself up there?! :wow:

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

My jeans aren't skinny enough to fit in my Uggz. UUUUUUHHHHHGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Do you have any recommendation to solve this? It's soooooooo annoying! >:O!!!!!!!!!!

19. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

will i ever date ronda rousey?

20. Fish Of Doom

fabulously.