Sums Up the Chain Gyms!!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Stan O'Kella, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Wasnt sure if I should post this in the off topic section, but as it concern the gym and heavy things i thought I'd stick it here!

There I was sitting on the end of the bench breathing heavy and wondering why I bother with this lifting weights rubbish when my attention was drawn to the squat rack. There stood at the side taking weight plates off was, I assumed one of the "instructors" his nice red t shirt emblazoned with "free to help" on the back identifying him.

On one side there was two 20 kg plates on and on the other side that he was stood on was now one 20 kg plate, the other in the instructors hands. He placed it on the rack and went back to the same side as the plate he'd just removed, I thought "he isnt gonna is he???" yes he did. He removed the plate from the bar and the inevitable thing happened, the instructor did a "Newton" and discovered gravity!

I'm not so sure who was the most shocked, me, the "instructor" or the dude on the crunch machine as a olympic barbell with 40 kg or rubber encrusted metal approached his head!

Today I retunred to the gym, and observed the same young fitness professional removing plates from the bar on the bench, watching him count the plates on both sides of the bar about 15 times and the way he removed the plates from the bar was like watching someone cut the wires on a bomb! Needless to say, he's not the bloke I'm gonna ask to give me a spot!

Now all joking aside, where in the name of all that is Holy do they get these people from, I mean come on!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

wow, lucky no one got hurt. reminds me of something stupid i did this week. i was on the decline bench press loading up the weights. i was warming up so i wasnt paying much attention while loading. this is the first time ive done decline, i normally do flat or incline. so, i get the bar all loaded up and get under it ready to lift. as i unrack it, my first thought it "dam this is hard to stabilize, i didnt know there was such a difference on the decline." i pump out about 8 reps and rack it again. i go back to adjust the weight and realize that i put on a 35lb plate on one side and a 25lb on the other side. no wonder it was so much heavier on one side :D . i looked around to see if anybody noticed but i dont think they did, heh.

3. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Haha, moron, im always worried about that when i remove weights.

4. illegal entry

illegal entry Valued Member

Uh, if the barbell is sitting in a rack, I doubt 40 kgs more on one side would tip it over, I've had way more then that on it. Obviously I don't take the whole side first, but I'm seriously doubting that two 20 kgs would tip it, unless it was extremly unbalanced from the start.

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

There are millions of them. Remember that ~50% of the human race has a below average intelligence. ;)

For loads of gym-related hilarity (and some quite sobering posts), check this thread at T-Nation. :D

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=480680

6. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

I was there I saw it happen, I've seen bars tip with less than 40k on 1 side, I'm slightly miffed by your insinuation that I'm lying.

7. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

He had 40 kgs on one side and 0 kgs on the other, unless the bench and the bar are sixteen feet long I can't see how it would not tip. :confused:

8. illegal entry

illegal entry Valued Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're lying or anything, but I've myself had over 40 kgs on one end of a bar without it tipping, in a powerrack that is. It's very possible that it flew, which, is funny as hell seeing as its a personal trainer, just thought it was somewhat odd with 40 kgs.

9. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Come on! Everyone makes mistakes. He was just absent-minded. Don't judge someone's intelligence just because of a silly mistake like that.

A real mistake would be prescribing "pec-wrecks" for years thinking that is a upper body exercise.

10. tkdmusclerock

tkdmusclerock New Member

My Favorite Mullet Moments

In addition to the Billy Ray hairstyle, a mullet is the gym equivalent of Rex Kwon Do. I've witnessed the following atrocities:

-People cranking on weight machines so fast it looks like they're trying to make them fly (not "explosive speed training", it's "I don't know what the **** I'm doing" training). The most common version is the guy who does hanging leg raises so fast he looks like he's on a swing set.

-People reading magazines between sets while homesteading on the bench or machine.

-Mental giants who put 50,000 lbs on the leg press, unrack it, move it 2-3 inches for a few reps, grunting and growling so everyone in the gym can see their might, then re-racking the machine while leaving all the plates loaded (and a huge puddle of sweat on the seat).

-Fat guys with Gold's Gym tank tops stretched over their enormous girth.

-Fat guys that wear leather back belts while doing their all machine, all sitting down workout.

-People who crank the Stairmaster up to warp speed, then lock their elbows so only 10% of their actual weight hits the pedals during their "cardio" workout.

-People that only do sitting-down cardio (recumbant bikes) because they say their back hurts too much to even walk on a treadmill. Here's a hint: your back will probably hurt less if you (a) strengthen your abs and (b) stop eating bacon and doughnuts every day, switch from Pepsi to water, and mix in a salad once in awhile in place of the gigantic pile of pasta.

-People yapping on cell phones during their workout (unless you're an ER doctor on call, leave the damn thing in your locker, okay?).

-Sales staff at the gym pestering people while they are trying to train. If I'm doing something dangerous please stop me but if you're just selling PT sessions get away from me before I use my skills for evil purposes.

-Fat, out-of-shape personal trainers (and there are millions of 'em out there). I don't care that you came in third in the Mr. North Dakota Natural back in 1996.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hilarious! :D

My personal story comes from when the rocke scientists at my gym decided to move some of the Hammer Strength equipment - while people were still in the gym.

1) this stuff should be done in off hours... not when the gym is open

2) there needs to be one person calling the shots as to how and where to move it... democracy doesn't work.

These clowns took off the 35kg plates and instead of carrying them over to the new set up area they decided to roll them with gusto. So off go zipping the plates across the gym with people in it! :eek:

Of course you know what happened... one went off course and nailed some girl in the free weights area! :eek:
    She goes down like a sack of bricks - she got creased in the knee and the gym settled out of court in a fat lawsuit.

People need to remember that the trainers in the gym are primarily there to be revenue earners for the gym... as in personal training packages that do sweet _______ all for the person buying them. That and to help the gym to avoid lawsuits. In my gyms case... lol... they went down in spectacular flames. :p

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Variation on the above, people who pick a position somehwere on the movement of a machine and just sort of twitch like thsy have just been tazered. They come in week after week and do the same thing and never improve in any way. They wander form machine to machine doing the st vitus dance at every station.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It always amuses me when big muscley dudes just HAVE to go on the heavy bag after 12 stone me has done a few rounds.
    It's almost as if they have to show they can hit as hard as I can. :)

14. prowla

prowla Valued Member

As I see it there are people who want to do some exercise, but not necessarily progress. And that's OK by me.
    There are others who feel the need to build bulk, and take all the supplements, and crank on all the weight they can.
    Me - I'm nearer the first than the second TBH, and hope somebody gives me a good slap if I start getting too hardcore!

15. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

HAHAH!!!

I got fired from my foremr part-time gym job because I scared away clients. I just tried to encourage them to do some squats and deadlifts. :(