Stretching Injury?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Mark001, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Mark001

Mark001 New Member

For the past week or so I have been doing intensive stretching sessions every evening for about 1hr30minutes each time. I have been fine after each session although since Wednesday I have been really stiff and sore. I'm not sure whether I've over done it - should I been having a rest day in between each session or taking it easier?

In addition, are there any supplements that can help with muscke repair/fatigue? Or is rest the best option? It feels like all the gains I got in the space of a few days have now been lost! I cant say that whilst doing any of the stretching I actually felt any pain, just the usual discomfort associated with intense stretching.

2. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

I dont really know all that much about stretching.
    I do a fair bit of it. the next day i usually have a bit of discomfort (not really enough to worth mentioning tho)

Im guessing protein would help if you did have muscle damage due to stretching.

Ive always been told to stretch dailey so i dont think you should need to take a days rest.
    However maybe you should try one day intense stretching, and the next a bit of light stretching.

what kind of stretching are you doing?
    I have heard static stretching, while it is effective it can be harmful to do it every day.

3. Mark001

Mark001 New Member

Hi

I've been doing a range of different types of stretches bost mostly static and dynamic e.g. leg raises/swings (or is that ballistic stretching?).

Anyhow, I did some light stretching last evening, most yoga, and felt much better. This morning however I am feeling quite sore in certain places - I really think I might have overdone it and damaged something so it's going to be a complete rest for the weekend I think ... I just hope it's not long term.