strengthshop uk -

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dead_pool, Mar 4, 2013.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Ditto.

I also have some 1-1/4inch bars that I bulk bought that as far as I'm aware don't fit any design of weight plate known to man...

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

LOL! Cool! I console myself with the fact that even when I get round to buying my Oly set, I can use the standard stuff for warm ups, prehab and rehab.

The really annoying thing is that so many of the cool toys (sleds, farmers walk bars etc) need the Oly size, so if I want to buy those I will have to fork out for the new weight set relatively quickly after that.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So...all I want is a 7 foot standard bar and a couple of 20kg weights so I can keep adding to my deadlift for the next few weeks.
    Any recomendations for sites?

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I've used those thinner bars and doubt they could handle much more than 50kg a side without bending, though maybe some are better than others.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Wolversons are well known to be good, I find eBay has loads of standard plates and bars on them.

6. Frodocious

I got my 7ft standard bar from Powerhouse fitness and have had ~125kg on it for rack pulls with no problem

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

This looks like a good deal but I'm still suspicious that none of these bars are rated so unlikely to load more than 100kg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cast-Iron-Weight-Plates-1-Hole-Disc-Dumbbell-Barbell-Weight-Fitness-Training/111011562178?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D18221%26meid%3D2241406466323613161%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D8339%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D271291609784%26

Some of the items on this site are bargains and some are rubbish, even their Oly bars are only rated at 150kg

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah Powerhouse fitness is where I got my bench and squat racks from but they missed the bench off the order and I had to really chase them up on where it was. Then they sent one out with no explanation at all as to why it was missed the first time.
    So I scratched them off the list of places I'd use and went with fitness-superstore instead and they've been even worse.

9. Frodocious

It's frustrating, isn't it?! I don't mind companies making mistakes but I do expect a decent response from them if and when they do, and that includes sorting the problem out quickly and communicating with the customer regarding what is happening. I mean how much hassle is it to make a phone call or send someone an email explaining what's going on? :bang:

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Jesus...my 20kg weights arrived yesterday...my 7 foot bar did not.
    Yet more correspondence with fitness-superstore to see where that is. I can still use the bar I got off Johnno but it is so annoying chasing stuff up. Two weights and a bar is about as simple an order as you can get surely?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hoorah...7 foot bar finally arrived!
    Booo...it weighs 8.4 kilos. I know it is what it is, and it'd be hard to make it weigh more or less, but that's an annoying number to add to whatever weights I put on it.
    Put 2x20kgs on and it's 48.4kgs. That's a silly number.
    I might pretend it's only 7.5 and then it'll be easier to calculate the 2.5kg progressions I'm doing on most lifts.

12. Dead_pool

Wow that's light, my oly bar is a Cross fit special, so for some reason its 17.5kg .

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah oly bars are much more than that. Aren't they meant to be 44lb/20kg as standard?

14. Dead_pool

Yes, I'm not sure where or why they've saved the weight, either way it does the job.