Starting Strength...again

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JKD83, Aug 22, 2013.

1. JKD83

JKD83 Valued Member

Hi MAPpers

i want to start a strength routine that i will actually stick to but i have so many different books and articles that i jjust end up not sticking to one particular thing.

I was doing a kettlebell routine by pavel tsatsouline consisting of just get up and swings....have any other users dabbled with this routine, its called the PM minimum???

Im currently thinking of going back to the starting strength routine which i did for several months last year.

Is it ok to add to the starting strength routine as i wanted to include chin ups as ive always sucked at them and want improve.

Also can you add muscle using the starting strength routine, or would it be possible to say after doing the 3 x 5 strength sets do a couple of sets with lower weight and say 8 reps for hypertrophy??

Any help would be awesome as im sick of being so indecisive but want make sure i do a good workout with good gains.

Cheers anyone who an help :)

P.S my main goal is getting stronger but i would also like a bit more muscle and definition.

2. pascalywood

pascalywood Valued Member

Check my log, I've started strenght too recently. I do 3 exercises by workout, 5 sets of 5 reps, except for deadlift that i do only 1 set. I use an app called StrongLifts, check it out. Heres how a routine looks like

Workout 1

5x5 squats
    5x5 bench press
    5x5 bent over rows

Workout 2

5x5 squats
    5x5 overhead press
    1x5 deadlift

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm doing that too but can't fit in 3 sessions so do those workouts once each week.
    Still very early days for me.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Here is a fool proof plan, go into your gym, look at the squat rack see who consitantly loads the most weight onto the bar when squatting, walk up to them and ask them politely how to get strong. Then do what they say, don’t add or change it in any way

You can write me a cheque later

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

And them most Likley.

I see no problem with adding chins to the end of SS, but adding sets of 8 or adding other silliness; well for a start its not starting strength, and you can get plenty big from sets of 5.

6. seiken steve

Im sure you'll be just fine :)

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Are you sure you read 'Starting Strength' because I'm fairly sure Chinups are one of the prescribed assistance exercises, along with Dips. I can't remember what others were there but I do remember these bodyweight exercises specifically because it was 3 sets of 10-15 and I could barely do any when I bought it.

8. seiken steve

There are a number of variations to help rip milk his desiples for every penny he can :)

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Well yes, I bought the dvd to second edition too (it doesn't have any assistance stuff on it though)

10. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I just started Starting Strength myself.
    Take a look at here http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
    In the second edition of the book, Rip has added chin ups and back extensions for people who can't recover well from the deadlifts.

He advocates to train for the first couple of weeks only the squat, press, bench press and deadlift in order to learn the deadlift and once your deadlift numbers surpass your squat's then add power cleans.
    Afterwards you can add the chin ups or pull ups if you want.

You have prior experience in the program so you wouldn't need the extra practice in the deadlift I guess.
    I myself need all the practice in the world:cry: .

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

rips ability to make money off programmes which people have been doing for years is right up there with wendlers lol

12. seiken steve

Shhhhhhh the desiples will get you.

13. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

You might be better off with 5/3/1 if you want to add all that stuff...
    Reason I suggest 5/3/1 is because you'll have more time to recover.