Spontaneous Workout Check-In

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Colucci, Mar 23, 2006.

1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

HIIT Cardio

10 minute warm up then 5 1/2 minutes on the eliptical. New piece in the gym and it has a display that has red lights in the shape of a track! I used the handles on the machine so that I was incorporating upper body as well as legs. As Bulk can tell ya, it is one thing to jog, and another to jog and throw punches. I had a nice sweat going and the Cardio left my legs whipped! My recovery time during the Intense phase of the routine seemed quite good. My legs burned but I was not gasping for air. Might push it to 7 minutes next time I do Cardio.

Circuit (Machines only)

Shoulder Press
    100 x 10

Lat Pull Downs
    125 x 10

Seated Row Machine
    125 x 10

Rear Delt Machine
    116 x 10

(DID I MENTION I HATE MACHINES?)
    I did this circuit 4 times and took just long enough to swallow some water each time I hit the Shoulder Press machine. Combined with the HIIT, I was in and out of the gym in 20 minutes. Again, I had a nice pump in my bi's and delts. Have to sort out the diet though as I am up another 3lbs to 183! I would like to hit the tournament aroudn 175. I think that is a good weight for me.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Why not do tabata sprints instead of the eliptical?

Dips and pullups instead of the machines?

3. narcsarge

I have no idea what "TABATA" sprints are! Please elucidate!

I do do dips and pullups as a general rule. Just found that the machines were right next to each other and so I gave it a whirl. I usually do 3 sets of dips +45lbs on Chest Day and I do 3 sets Dips +45, +25, and BW to failure on Back Day. I am going more for muscle endurance then anything else. Just have 3 weeks of prep left so I want to keep the rest to a minimum between sets and exercises.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Tabata. Sprint 20 seconds. rest 10 seconds. Repeat 8 times. And thats it. Improves VO2 max more than anything else.

From what I have read, the gym is to get strong and anaerobic endurance should be done using the specific exercises your training for. Sparring, bag work, running etc.

5. narcsarge

Ah got ya. My HIIT cardio is a variation of Tabata. I doubt I could handle the Tabata cycle at this point. When I run the track I sprint the straights, jog the turns. I did a total of 5 minutes straight last week, will up it to 7 minutes this week.

You are correct about lifting weights to gain strenth. I have raw power but not as much muscle endurance (the ability to sustain that power for extended periods of time). I train 5 days a week TKD and I spar twice a week at least. This week I will be adding in 5 minutes of steady bag work of kicking, punching and moving. The reason I keep the weight work in is so that when I hit someone, they know it. More importantly the judges will know it too. I want my opponent to respect my power and stamina as I am 45 years old and not apt to be bouncing and running around. :D

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

7. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

Chest Press
    Dumbell Fly
    Incline Dumbell Press
    Triceps Pushdown

Russian Twists
    Crunchs on ball
    Dorsal Raise

All 4x10

8. narcsarge

HIIT Cardio

10 minute mile warm up then 8 minutes on the eliptical. I did the "Interval" program with me setting the pace. I set the resistance @ 3 because if it is on 1, when I hit the INTENSE part of the training I feel like I am going to fall off the machine! The Intense interval was 2 minutes in duration :cry: and the slow interval was 1.5 minutes. I did 3 INTENSE cycles and 4 SLOW. My heartrate was 154 on the SLOW (right after my mile) and reached 157 during the INTENSE cycle. I had the sweat flowing like a water fall and I was sucking air big time. I wanted to die!

INCLINE DB PRESS

60lbs x 10

INCLINE DB FLIES
    25lbs x 10

DIPS
    BW x Failure

BENCH DIPS W/ 2 45lb plates
    3 sets to failure

DEADLIFTS
    250 x 6 x 3 sets

*** Did all the Chest work as a circuit:
    Incline press, Incline Flies, Dips and then repeated the circuit for a total of 3 sets. Trashed my triceps with the Bench Dips :D ! Had to throw in the DL's because I can't stand leaving them out of my routine. Entire workout was done in 40 minutes. My recovery time from the Cardio is getting better each time. Looks like I won't be gassing when I go to the Tournament! ***

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

shoulders
    press 8,6,4-150,160,165
    upright rows 3x8-125
    lat. raises 3x8 35
    bent over raises 2x8 40
    shrugs 3x8-345

7x3 hvy bag
    stationary bike 25 minutes
    dummy 25-30mintues

back
    one arm dumbell rows 3x8 95
    seated pulleys 3x8 170
    pulls to the front 3x8 120

abs 10-15minutes
    neck bridges
    wrist curls 3x15

10. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

This was a one off yesterday, and it's not been fun feeling it today!

ATG Back Squat@46 Kg x 30
    ATG Back Squat@51 Kg x 30
    ATG Back Squat@56 Kg x 30
    ATG Back Squat@61 Kg x 30
    ATG Back Squat@66 Kg x 30

Rest periods: Plenty

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Owwww, dude, that must be killing you today! I'd be dead before I finished the first set :cry: I couldn't move the day after when I was doing 20-rep deadlifts
    Is a 30 rep squat more d34d1y than a 20 rep squat?
    Today I did

5x5 military press
    5x5 bent over rows
    5x5 front squat
    5x5 full contact twist

12. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Is this just to be some crazy endurance thing? If so, I bet it hurt.

Last workout for me was fun. Worked on my deadlifts a bit, fooling around with some of the PL equipment at the new place I'm working out at, doing some 18" deads. Tripled 225kg (495) and did a single with a little less than 250kg (545). Worked on some clean-grip front squats up to around 115kg (255), then did some box front squats for fun with around 85kg (185). Played around with the Atlas stone too but couldn't lap it this time, it weighs over 120kg (260-270ish). Workout just about killed me, took a long nap afterwards. I'm closing in on 83kg too despite all the running we've been doing lately, it sucks :(

13. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It's a 'once in as long as it takes to forget last time' thing. I wouldn't do this often, I'm only just recovered now, but once in a while it feels good to do something crazy like this.

Today's workout, got my #3 CoC's :D

I also got a #2.5, I almost closed the #2.5, but the #3 is going to take a little while :(

14. narcsarge

H.I.I.T Cardio

Finally! A nice, cool morning and the track was all mine! Warmed up running a mile and a half. Felt that my previous days leg training would really ache but I felt great a few minutes into the warmup.

Sprinted the the straights of the local High School track and jogged the curves! Repeated this 7 times and I was gassed. On the final straight sprint I thought that I would actually fall right over. My legs were almost dead weight but I pushed it as hard as I could. I bet the people playing basketball might have thought I was physically disabled! :eek:

The whole workout lasted 25 minutes, with warmup taking a good 14 minutes.

The plan for this week is to make sure my foot problems are not going to be an issue at the tournament. I will know on Monday if I will be able to kick anything other then air. If I can, since we are now back in our Dojang, I intend to take the time in between the After School Program and my evening classes to work on the kicking targets and jumpping rope. I am pleased that my cardio has come along faster then even I expected it would. Now, 2 weeks from the tourney, I can start working on my combinations, feints, footwork, and strikes without fear that I am only good for 15 to 20 seconds. If I am unable to strike the kicking dummies/targets I will just work on my footwork and combinations in the middle of the dojang. Sort of like shadow boxing I guess.

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

shoulder press-8,6,4,2
    lat. raises 3x8
    upright rows 3x8
    bent over raises 3x8
    shrugs (chin down) 3x8

weighted chin ups 3x8
    long pulley rows 3x8
    behind neck pull downs 3x8

bike 25 minutes
    abs 10-15 minutes
    neck and forearm work 3x 15

hvy bag 3x7 rds

16. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Have stopped crossfitting, as have started boxing and a bit of MMA in addition to TKD, so couldnt sustain the intensity - and probabaly dont need that much cardio load in addition. Great programme, though - no regrets!

Back on Westside - maybe next 6 months
    BW 73 age 43
    ME effort legs
    Wts in Kg
    Press 12 x 200; 10 x 220; 6 x 230 (darent squat - sciatica!)
    Barbell reverse lunge 10/10/15/15 x20
    Leg curl 3x6x30
    Good girls - 3x12xstack
    Weighted roman chair 3x15+25kg
    GHR bodyweight only 3x20
    farmers walk 50kgX30secs, 35 secs, 45 secs.
    1hr exactly inc w/u

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

bench press 3x5 255,275x2, 290x1
    incline bench 3x5 215, 225x3
    pec deck 5x10

tri's and bi's superseted
    skull crushers with incline dum curls 3x8
    press downs with seated dum curls 3x8
    one arm press downs with reverse preacher curls (dum) 3x8

elliptical 30 minutes
    bike 25 minutes
    dummy 25 minutes

abs 10-15 minutes straight

wrist curls 3x15

18. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

ME Upper:

DB Swings
    3x10x35 each

DB Snatch:
    3x10x35 each

Pullups Commando:
    8xBW
    8xBW
    6xBW
    5x10
    5x18
    5x18
    5x23
    4x28
    6x28 (PR)

Mil Press:
    12x50
    10x74
    10x86
    7x100
    5x110 (PR)

Circuit:
    Bent Row/High Pull from hang
    3x10x70/3x10x70

Pushups:

19. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Bench:
    10 x bar (warm up)
    8 x 40kg
    8 x 50kg
    8 x 60kg
    10 x 50kg

Preacher Curls:
    8 x 20kg
    8 x 25kg
    8 x 30kg (New PB :D )

Reverse Curls:
    4 sets of 8 - done on machine so not sure of weights, only the numbers.

Captain of Crush:
    5 reps with number 1 (each hand)
    Closed 1.5 (yay! :D )

20. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Yesterday

Westside -Upper body rep day

Dips 17 17 20
    Skull crushers with 20 kg DB - 4x12
    lat pull 4x12x60
    preachers (sorry Ad McG) 3x10x25
    shrugs 4x10x75