Splits/isometrics issue

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seduisante, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Seduisante

Seduisante New Member

I'm hoping that someone here can help me out. I have recently begun karate (midori yama budokai - 5 months) and am really enjoying it. I am now borderline obsessed with improving my kicks. to that end, I have read and re-read most of the topics on flexibility, stretching, and strength training on here. Finally this week I began going through Van Zandt's isometric progression. Unfortunately, I am finding that I am so worried about sliding too far out and tearing something that I'm preventing myself from stretching out as far as I probably could. I'm using a chair to keep my balance/support and I realized today that I am literally holding myself up to keep myself from stretching out any further. It is, for all intents and purposes, a psychological block. Has anyone else been there? Any tricks for helping yourself relax and move forward?

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've never had this problem, but I have a suggestion. When you're practicing, play some very mellow music in the background (like classical Chinese, bamboo flute, etc-whatever allows you to clear your mind) and really focus on your breathing. I've found that relaxing helps with stretching and internal arts. Hope this helps! :)

3. KLavoie

KLavoie New Member

Try stretching your legs out 1/2 way, then squeeze them as hard as you can, like you want to bring them together. Hold that for about 30 sec. Spread your legs out just a tad more and repeat. Do that till you can't doing it anymore.
    You will also build strength in your legs this way too, that will inprove your kicks. Give it a try!!!

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Try door frame stretching. Make sure your body is warm first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaCcGmpI3v4"]Taekwondo Bar / Door Frame Stretching (taekwonwoo) - YouTube[/ame]

5. Seduisante

Seduisante New Member

Thank you for the suggestions! For now, I'm not even flexible enough to FIT in the doorway like that. :eek: However, a wall may serve.

I will say this, even with what little I have manage to do I have seen marked improvement in my flexibility already. Still have SO FAR to go, but I'm getting there!

6. KLavoie

KLavoie New Member

Keep up the great work!