speed question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gnomepunter, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I like them. Check out my you-tube video in post 9 for the sort of thing I do.

This also. You need to work on the overload principle. Plyometrics definately help with this and you don't necessarily need equipment. This is another one of my drills which is a killer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonSheridan1#p/u/4/ico8AzGWAMs

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

IE. time better spent moving those extra large loader tyres, then.

[​IMG]

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

For every person who lugs heavy weights and has massive explosive speed there will be someone like my instructor who has never lifted a weight, but is incredibly fast. As I said in my earlier posts, there are different types of speed.

4. Osu,

These are good drills (and videos) Simon, thank you.
    You don't look like your avatar in the video... must be the lack of sunshine! :D:D

Osu!

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Good suggestions already in this thread.

Speed is relative. It can result from raw speed and efficiency of motion. It can be a result of distance (being closer rather than further). It can result from perception (not telegraphing your intentions). It can be a result of being unpredictable and broken timing. It can be a result of a longer weapon or reach. etc. etc. etc.

1) Raw speed comes from use of muscles... plyometrics is great for developing and conditioning muscles that you might be under developed. Just make sure your body is adequately warmed up before plyometrics.

2) Efficiency of motion... get rid of bad habits and work on good technique. With a heavy bag you can work the boxing drop step with the shoulder whirl for developing the timing with relaxation for power punches. For closer in work proper pivot points with the mechanics of something like a karate punch to engage the hips and shoulders immediately into a strike for speed. Keeping the elbows always in front of the hips (so not chambered punches, but the same mechanics striking from a guard).

3) You will need relaxation or you will never get faster. Cross training in Tai Chi for this flow and relaxation. You can practice much of this on your own once you get some fundamentals.

4) Hand and eye speed/timing... hmmm, probably nothing faster than weapons. FMA stick training will speed up your hand speed and reaction times. Once you get some FMA fundamentals and drills, if no partner is available you can strike the heavy bags with your sticks and go through the drills.

Most important is keep training!

You can do #1 above with some basics from a trainer on plyometrics.

#2 you need some basics from a boxing coach and a karate instructor on the structure punching. Google drop step and shoulder whirl, Jack Dempsey wrote some nice descriptions on these and combining them. Karate, make sure your stance is not too narrow and work with the "straightening" of the leg to engage the hip forward immediately. Hips and shoulders move together... the rest you need someone that can go through proper pivot points and keeping the elbows in front of your hips... sorry, you need an instructor for this that knows how to teach it. Most do it right, but don't know how to explain it so only hands on is the way they can teach it. The point is that full body movement needs structure and footwork... both of which you can only get so far before you need an instructor that knows what they are doing for you to progress further.

#3 and #4 above both require an instructor to teach the fundamentals before you can do solo exercises. You can try to imitate Tai Chi movements for relaxation and striking a heavy bag with light sticks for hand speed, but you might end up learning bad habits without first having an instructor to correct your movements and help to guide you.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  6. belltoller

Your meaning Escrima Bobbing and Weaving?

Press Ups Dips and Core is :cool: takes care of several in a very efficient way.

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

This is stupid for so many reasons, prepare for itemised logic:

1) there is no way that speed or explosive work should or can last for 30 seconds, if it takes that long you aren't training speed or explosiveness.
    2) 10kg, are you kidding me? Ain't no body can keep good form when throwing a punch with 10kg in their hand, now we are learning incorrect motor patterns and thus making our punching worse.
    3) when we punch the force moves horizontally (parallel to the floor) when we hold a dumbbell the gravitational force (that makes it heavy) pulls DOWN (towards the floor) so we are no longer applying resistance to the appropriate direction, training the wrong muscles and the wrong strength patterns.
    4 flailing your arms about quickly with 10 kg in you hand is asking for and injury be it to elbows, neck, wrist or shoulders it's going to happen.

To the OP the number one is to improve technique and become as efficient at the movement as possible, i'm going to assume you know that and leave it there.

It would be worth looking up a decent Olympic coach in your area if you have time, training 2 MA's and doing max effort strength work I doubt you do have the time/recovery however.

You could google:
    plyometrics
    Westside barbell dynamic effort method

Also as much as it pains me to say it you need to improve your core, and I don't mean do 300 sit ups a day. If your core is week you spine isn't stabilised correctly, as a result you CNS will not allow you to access certain motor units when doing explosive movements to protect the body from destroying the spine. In lay mans terms, if the spine isn't stable you body won't let you hit hard because it is worried you will damage the spine.

I would recommend the following moves to be added to your training in a sensible manner: heavy front squat holds (using 110-150% of your max), pallof press, heavy side bends, suitcase Deadlifts, any loaded carry, ab wheel roll outs and TRX fall outs.

Also, no getting bigger and stronger will not make you slow, in fact quite the contrary. Also being strong makes you on average between 200% and 900% more bad ass. FACT.

8. belltoller

Fan of ab roll outs.

Opinions about reverse ab roll outs like this one?

Not too destructive on the lower spine, then?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7hthPZQKY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7hthPZQKY&feature=related[/ame]

9. liero

liero Valued Member

Quoted for truth

10. seiken steve

They seem pretty safe but massively pointless when you could be doing standard roll outs IMO.

The front squat holds are brutally effective too, just make sure you've been to the loo first due to certain muscles being activated in a way you will never have felt!

11. nidan82

nidan82 Valued Member

From a Karate point of view, the speed of the punch comes largely from the speed of which the opposite arm is retracted. The combination of pushing off the back leg, pivoting the hips and retracting the opposite arm results in a very fast and powerfull punch. The emphasis is placed on technique, not strength. It's such an effective method, when practiced correctly, that a person of any size can execute a fast and strong punch. When training, try pulling back the opposite arm with equal force and speed as the punching arm. It goes without saying that i am refering to direct or straight punches.

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

nidan, that is actually incorrect. while the muscular action in the torso during a basic karate punch is influenced by the hikite, the retraction is simply a means of training that muscular action, and representing pulling an opponent (thus training at the same time a pulling motion, a backwards elbow, torso posture, and a balancing out of the muscular action that impulses the punch forwards. an incorrectly done hikite, of which i am very guilty myself, will leave you with rounded shoulders given enough time, from the pressure of the punching arm, in much the same way excessive pushups or bench presses will).

see here for an example of very fast and powerful punching without any hikite:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufuJUdLqBok"]YouTube - ‪Taira Sensei Makiwara‬‏[/ame]

13. seiken steve

Great post fishy, plus when you consider the million or so boxers who make a living from punching certainly don't pull one arm back or they'd get smashed.

Also the OP doesn't do karate.

14. nidan82

nidan82 Valued Member

Firstly, let me state Fish Of Doom that I am not incorrect. When the hikite is performed correctly it increases the force at which the shoulders and torso pivot, thus increasing the speed of the punch. This is a training technique which has been tested and proven since the beginning of Karate as we know it. It is a basic technique, one of the first things a Karateka learns. The video does not show basics. I have studied Shotokan Karate for 20 yrs and have taught many a beginner the basics. If they want to learn how to run before they can walk, send them to MMA.
    seiken steve, I have said in my previous post that a powerfull punch can be delivered from a person of any size, employing this technique correctly. Karate is for anyone and doesn't have a life span like boxing and other sports. A boxers technique depends largely on him putting his weight into the punch, thus relying on muscle/body mass. This is not so with Karate. If the OP doesn't do Karate, I would still hope they could draw some information from what I have said.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You can punch that way and generate impact - but it is not the most efficient or the most effective way to generate said power.

The shukokai method generally hits a lot harder with the double hip application, which is similar to the physics of a boxing punch

Here is the man himself Kimura....one of the most impressive trad karateka i have seen

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlYok3A09HA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlYok3A09HA[/ame]

And I have posted in many, many times before but this is the awesome Pete Consterdine using the double hip from shukokai

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRqfYwhsQdQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRqfYwhsQdQ[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  16. seiken steve

how is karate for everyone and boxing isn't?

You claim that a boxer has to have a lot of mass, if that was the case then there wouldn't be a lightweight or featherweight devision. There is though, and they seem to punch fine.

To me it's a tie off between listen to people who punch for a living and people who do kata for a hobby, and if I want to learn to punch I know who I am going to ask.

OP is boxing and practising JKD and boxing, I don't think hikite is really an important skill for him to learn.

Your walk before you can run comment implies that the op is a total noob, but I think anyone with boxing experience probably knows more about punching than most.

Personally I don't see how mass effects a boxers punch and not a karateka's punch, if you can explain why then I would be very grateful.

17. nidan82

nidan82 Valued Member

There wouldn't be a heavyweight or lightweight devision if the size of the boxer didn't play a large part in their technique. You are comparing pro boxers to amature martial artists. If you prefer the opinion of boxers, why post on a martial arts site? Boxing is a sport, not a martial art. I have explained once the technique for a basic karate punch. It is not dependent on the size of the karateka because strength and speed comes from the dynamics of the delivery, not the muscle mass behind it. Boxing isn't suitable for any age or physical condition, Karate (or any other martial art for that matter) is.

18. Hannibal

double post

19. Hannibal

bollocks

I am sorry if that sounds harsh but bollocks

The reason boxers burn out is because they compete. If you follopw the training alone (like in most MA's) then you can go just as long as ANY karateka or MA'ist out there.

And boxing is every bit as much of an MA as karate..in fact in many ways it is more so as tehy train for actual fighting rather than esotericism

20. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

From a Karate point of view, no it doesn't. It just gives the illusion of greater speed.