speed question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gnomepunter, Jun 19, 2011.

1. gnomepunter

gnomepunter New Member

ok first off i did use search but it showed me nothing.lol thought i would state that so i dont get noob bashed.now to get to it. i am looking for a set of ten different drills or workouts i dont care if they are heavy bag or weights or any oddball methods. any kind will do i just to help my speed with my upper body.my strikes need more speed i am only 148 pounds so im not to big so that im slow so any input? and thanks in advance and i am very happy to have found this place and am glad to be here.

2. WushuTiger

WushuTiger Valued Member

Grab some 10kg dumbells. Punch with them in your hands. Do that for like 3 mins non-stop. Try different combos with them, eg uppercut. Take a 30 sec break. And then do that twice.

If you carry on doing that regularly then you will notice faster punching speed

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

google plyometrics, then do plyometric variations of normal exercises (clap pushups, box jumps, plyo chin ups and pull ups, etc). and don't punch with weights.

alternatively, if you have good weightlifting technique, do your normal routine but with faster movements (being careful not to injure yourself, which is what you need the good technique for).

4. liero

liero Valued Member

How long have you been training?

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Practice more...no real mystery sadly

6. Oh come on Hannibal, tell the guy the secret! :D:D

OSu!

7. gnomepunter

gnomepunter New Member

well i have been into boxing about 3 years and jeet kune do for about a year.as for some of the stuff i tried at the gym last night i got a 6 pound medicine ball and used one hand to throw it as hard as i could against the wall and as soon as it left my hand i would make a fist and complete the motion.and i also got the cable machine and stood with my back to it and punched like normal but with the 10 pound weight on it so i had a form of resistance pulling my arm and shoulder back in the opposing direction.hmmm o yea i also laid on my back and got a 20 pound med ball and threw it as far up as i could and would clap in the air slap the floor anf then clap the air again before catching the ball.ok sorry for all the rambling there but in anyones opion does any of this make since to anyone aside from me lol.just making sure my brain storms werent stupid in theory

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What you are doing is a support system - helpful certainly, but the best way to get faster punches is to punch more focusing on speed.

Use paper targets, speed ball, top bottom ball etc. Forget power and focus on snap and whip. You may also need to relax more...without seeing you in action that is just speculation

Now what you CAN do is break down each aspect of the punch. For example start with arm extended and work on quick retraction or work on a quick hip twist. That way you can build individual attributes that get put together as a whole.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There are several different types of speed and you will need to train each individually. Some of these different types are explained in this thread.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92519&highlight=initiation+speed

Fish of Doom mentioned Plyometrics, which I have found to be a great help.
    Below is a video of me explaining one of the drills I use. Bungee cords can be purchased very cheaply and can be attached to a tree, gate or fence post.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonSheridan1#p/a/u/1/ejQdvMsVLwY

Many people will tell you that speed is just the rate at which you can punch from Point A to Point B, this is not strictly true. Your punch may start off slow, but accelerate towards its target. It may start off fast but slow toward the end of the movement. You should strive to explode out of the blocks and maintain that speed through the duration of the punch. You also need to recover well. Punch out at 50, back at 100, making sure you return to a good high guard with excellent balance, ready to hit again (or move).

Perception speed is important. It is no good having fast hands if you cannot recognise what is being thrown back at you.

Initiation speed. Bruce Lee said "it is a long way through the eye, down the arm to the fist, how much time is lost"? You need to be relaxed enough to initiate a strike without any pre-thought or get set. Reacting like a shadow.

Lots to work on, I wish you well. Keep us up to date with your progress.

10. gnomepunter

gnomepunter New Member

i have learned to have a relaxed body for the most part when striking the only thing that tends to tense up is my shoulder i been trying to work on that.but the little pest keeps holding me back.

11. Fish Of Doom

try training your lats, serratus anterior and pectoral muscles. those will pull your shoulder down, which will make the traps relax in order to allow the movement. once you have decent strength in those muscles (or if you already do), train yourself to engage them when you punch, and you should be on your way to preventing your shoulders from rising.

12. gnomepunter

gnomepunter New Member

thx for the input and one more question and ill shut up for a while lol.i am doing pure strength training like 5 sets of 3 so i have maximum strength gains and minimum size gains.my question is will this strength training slow me down i have been told yes and no.but i figure if i do some of the things you all have told me to my strength and speed should improve.
    P.S. I REALLY LIKE THIS SITE SO FAR YOU ALL ARE VERY HELPFUL AND I WANNA SAY THANKS

13. Simon

Train correctly and there is no reason why your speed cannot improve.
    You only have to watch professional sport to see many muscular guys and girls who are incredibly fast.

14. Fish Of Doom

to get explosiveness you have to train explosive movements. just watch olympic lifters. those guys are explosive as hell.

15. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Seems I've heard that cautionary elsewhere, but why is that?

16. Fish Of Doom

weights pull DOWN, and you punch FORWARDS.

it is also unnecessary and unhealthy strain on your joints, both by the stress placed on the shoulder joint and by the risk of the weight's momentum breaking your elbow like a twig if you hyperextend.

besides, punching with weights is generally done with 1 or 2 kilos. this guy just recommended TEN.

17. Simon

Some hate it, some swear by it. Certainly full punches, locking out the joints is a no no, but I quite like very light weights, working for short 30 second to 1minute periods, then dropping the weight and going straight into the contrast phase.

18. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Resistance bands add anything with regards to speed?

19. Fish Of Doom

resistance bands only add resistance. the speed comes from the type of training you do, and resistance is conducive to increasing exercise difficulty, which will increase gains if used correctly.

20. Fish Of Doom

the benefit from the bands is that they are extremely versatile with regards to the direction of the resistance, whereas weights always pull down, so you have to shift yourself in order to get resistance in different ranges of motion.