Sore ribs

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by mookie, Jun 22, 2007.

1. mookie

mookie New Member

So wednesday night doing semi contact in Kickboxing i got a hook to the right rib just bellow the pec. No bruising but it's sore to touch and sore with deep breath, cough, sneeze, turning steering in my car (no power steering :p ).

I done weights last night and it wasn't too bad, never felt pain when doin bench etc but it was sore leaning back onto the bench for incline.
    Would you guys leave off the exercise for a couple of days or keep doing but just avoid anything irritating it? i have a 5k run coming up and really don't want to stop training.

2. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

In general, if it's sore to the touch, I'd lay off direct training and stick instead with some light active recovery (easy stretching and low volume/low intensity work).

Seeing as how you posted this last week...how's it feeling today?

3. mookie

mookie New Member

Basically it's a day shy of two weeks and still sore, lying flat on the ground (ie putting pressure on it) hurts it, deep breaths feel like i have a stitch. there is a lump in the area that seems like it could be cartridge on top of the bone? it moves about when pushed. :confused:

4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Okay, yeah, I'd hop to a doc and get it looked at. Best case scenario...some kind of deep bruise. Worst case scenario...you snapped a rib, punctured a lung and you're on borrowed time. :eek: I kid, I kid. But really, a kick in the chest that causes two weeks worth of pain is something I'd have a professional look at.

5. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 'Hate's New Year!'

I've the same injury albeit on the left side. This happened during sparring last night. Hardly slept at all it was that painful. I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I had 2 rib injuries a while back.It's really painful but heals eventually-I just kept applying oil and Tiger Balm to help in the mean time.If the pain continues go to see your G.P! :)

7. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 'Hate's New Year!'

Even breathing is painful at the moment. Off to the GP it is then. I sense a few weeks coming up without training :-(

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thats the sensible thing to do TinTin if you can't really take it easy at training (fat chance with our sifu! :D)

I made the mistake of still entering that tournament with my existing injury and of course I picked up another injury which put me out of sparring for a while.I did manage to train but only very lightly.

9. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Good advice Su Lin :D

I find that many of us MA'ists train with injuries and even when we inform sensei before class, if you're able to get your ass on the mat, you're fair game. Its painful and funny at the same time.

But as everyone has said, go to a doc and get it checked. I'm damn stubborn but even I regret not taking a break from the gym/training with broken ribs. I'm paying for it now.

10. iaingreer

iaingreer Valued Member

sorry for the thread dredge, but something similar has happened to me and I could do with some info as to best recovery etc.

I got kicked to the solarplexis, not ribs as such, but just on the breast bone as it were. It winded me and the past 6 days, i haven't been at training and it still hurts. Is it something to get looked at? Or should I go back to training, grin and bear it and be a man lol.

Will it heal on its own? How long do these cases tend to heal and also, is there anything I can take/use to speed the process up?

Any info appreciated,

Iain