Sore knees

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Hapuka, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Back in march I tore my hamstring and just recently I went to the hospital to get an X-ray of it. I have to go back to the hospital in September. The doctors haven't told me yet whats wrong with my leg so I don't know how I should take it at Taekwon-do. It seems now my other leg is starting to feel sore and stiff as well. I still don't if I should get that looked at by the doctors too.

My question is how should I be training with bad knees. The teachers at the club don't really believe me when I tell them I have sore knees and hamstrings. They think its an excuse to get out of doing things like flying kicks. I have enough trouble doing grounded kicks as it is at the moment. I'm basically going now for my little brother to give him encouragement through training.

I have lost a fair bit of confidence and gained a bit weight since the accident.

My mum is going to take me to the gym so I can lose some weight and feel a bit better about myself and going to classes.

What should I be doing? Just ignore my legs and push myself?

2. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Ask your Doc/Physio about what kind of excercies would be best to rehab your knee/hams. (I already gave you my 0.2 on the other thread about the hams).

I know for a fact that swimming is awsome at rehabing joints and muscles because it is zero impact. If you lack stability in your knees and/or hips, I'd start doing unilateral excercices like Stepups, Lunges, Split Squats, Single Leg DLs, Pistols, etc.

Dont worry about the weight you put on, that'll come right back off once you start hitting the gym and are eating right.

Plus some guys like girls with a some chunk in their trunk. ;)

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Right, so swimming and plenty of leg exercises are good.

Unfortunately I'm a slow swimmer :(

I swim like a sloth :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  4. SickDevildog

Ya, but only if your doc gives you the green light.

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Hapuka, sounds like your legs are going through the wars at the moment.

if your TKD doesn't belive you, and pushes you to do things, then I would leave.
    If you have injury you need time to recover.
    You need to ease back into training after a decent amount of healing time - if your teacher doesn't understand this concept then it's time to go somewhere that does.

There is no use ruining your legs for life because a TKD teacher doesn't believe you. If you're struggling to do normal kicks, then you shouldn't even be doing that, maybe look into boxing to start and work up from there.

I would advise speaking to a physiotherapist about recovery, the GP may not have the best advice - 2 GPs of mine thought I could go back to training quicker then I should have done, as I result I messed my shoulders up and took even longer for me to recover. 4 years later I have been able to do push ups again, methinks it could have been sooner if I had got a second opinion.

unfortunately this is not true, you can damage your knee joints doing swimming. I know many swimmers who have hurt their knees, one of the worst for this is the breast stroke.

6. SickDevildog

Hmm weird, when after my Dad had kneesurgery they had him in therapy doing daily swimming sessions. Same goes fro my Grandpa after his bike accident. could it be that longterms swimmers are the ones getting kneeproblems and not the ones just doing it to get over an injury?