Situps / Crunches

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Exether, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Exether

Exether Valued Member

How much would you recommend of either to get my stomach down and full of muscle? I have never had a sixpack in my life. It would be nice. Thanks

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

six pack abs are about diet, not exercise.

3. Exether

Exether Valued Member

.. hmm. Im eating healthy. only for about 2 - 3 months though. almost zero sugar. carbs morning and midday . nothing to eat after 8 . Drink over 8 glasses of water a day . and take multivitamins?

4. Exether

Exether Valued Member

and I take TKD along with stretching every day . All of this has been for only about 2.5 months though

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It really comes down to this:

How many calories you eat minus how many calories you expend equals how much weight you will lose or gain.

You can eat after 8 if you want and can eat carbs.

Simple guidelines to losing weight.

Find a calorie counter on the internet. Based on your height and weight and activity level, it will calculate how many carbs (X) you need every day to maintain your current weight. Take that number (X) and subract 500 from it and divide it by 500 and round down. (X-500)/500 = Y. Y is the number of 400-600 calorie meals you should eat every day.

Your meals should mainly be composed of lean protein sources, fruits and vegetables.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yup. :)

To the OP

How much cardio are you doing a day?

What sort of body build do you have? Endomorph, Ectomorph or Mesomorph?

Six packs are about diet just like what Pauli said.

Sure you can make them stronger by doing crunches and situps etc. but to make abs visible you need to have a good diet.

I recommend you watch this, I hope it helps; [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtUPG_ku8_Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtUPG_ku8_Q[/ame]

7. duffman

duffman New Member

Hi exeter, as already sais its about more than ab exercises, altough these help alot and add quality to your 6pack when you get it.
    Have a look in the health and fitness forum and maybe ask a question there.
    Itd put you on the right path as to what you should be eating, when etc and what amount of calories you should need.

8. Blast

Blast Valued Member

a few months every year i have a sixpack. i just do 120 sit-ups a day. 10 sit-ups, 10 seconds rest 4 times. then again 4 times, but I tend to the right while doing my sit-ups. after that 4 times to the left. This helps me getting a sixpack.

9. Yohan

It doesn't help you have a six pack. Eating clean and expending more calories than you take in helps you have a six pack. The added activity may help you expend more calories, but you could see your abs by just removing a couple hundred calories from your diet every day.

10. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Well, that might be also true, because in summer I train more then when it's school. That's actually pretty strange to me lol, my sit-ups are as good as useless. But I'm pretty sure I develop muscles by doing those sit-ups, right?

11. Yohan

You'll develop muscular endurance in your abs but you won't make them any bigger.

12. righty

righty Valued Member

Everyone has a six-pack, it's just surrounded by a keg sometimes.

13. Sorashizen

Sorashizen New Member

I disagree with some of what the majority of people are saying here. While it IS true that a good diet is a HUGE factor in having visable abs; you don't have to be hardcore dieting to achieve them. I personally don't have a "six pack" [am working on one haha] but, I know people that do that have HORRID diets, junk food galore. They are able to do this because they get a lot of cardio + have a good metabolism. So while I do agree that a diet would probably be the best way to achieve visable abs, it is certainly possible to get them by doing cardio. But, like yohan said you have to expend more calories than you take in which would be hard to do without the dieting although it is possible haha.

14. phillholden

phillholden Valued Member

There some good points already posted up here, its such a balance to get diet and exercise in the correct amount for it to be what you want, i.e. six pack

Exether, what kind of foods have you been eating and what kind of cardio have you been doing?

There are so many factors when it comes to these things:

Have you been eating enough meals through the day?
    Have you still got essential fats to the body?
    Have you had your heart rate working enough during exercise to burn fat or to high to not be as efficient?
    How much weight do you have?
    and how much weight have you lost during the 2.5 months?

15. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Basically.

Eat less than you work off, eat healthily, and train the stomach muscles (obviously) via crunches, sit ups, etc..

16. wires

wires Valued Member

fighting abs should be trained with high resistance

Six pack abs are DEFINITELY aobut Diet AND Exercise.

I would not recommend crunches or situps.

I would suggest exercises that have more RESISTANCE. Yes, I am saying use weights on your abs.

Not one of those "ab machines" at the gym though.

I'd do three exercises for my entire core - all of them with resistance.

So, for the abs, hang from a pull up bar. Keep your arms straight, and pull your ankles up in front of your body until they touch the bar over your head. Try to keep your legs as straight as possible on each rep.

For the obliques, do sidebends with a heavy dumbell. Don't just bend yourself sideways, look up "sidebends" on any weightlifting site for proper form.

For the lower back, I'd do deadlifts, straightleg deadlifts, or even back squats. Those are all dangerous exercises if performed incorrectly, so be sure to study the proper form and have someone watch you to make sure you are keeping proper form.

Fighting is all about having a powerful core, and situps and crunches are low strength / high endurance.

You want high strength, and with fight training endurance will come as well.

17. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Why do people treat ab muscles as if they are different from other muscle groups? You wouldn't do 120 curls to make your biceps bigger, so why do 120situps?

18. BorntoFight

BorntoFight New Member

Thank God there are people out there with sense when it comes to training abs.
    A good diet and exercse programe are all important when it comes to seeing your six pack.
    I was shown this ab programme on youtube and found results within the first week.
    [ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4YRB1ISbKTQ"]YouTube - Get six pack abs in 6 minutes on your couch. Works Fast![/ame]

You need to remeber doing the same exercises all the time becomes boring and your muscle get use to it. Due to this there are no longer any adaptations. Mix up your routine by doing resistance training i.e. weighted crunch, cable crunch, weighted leg raises etc. Most ab exercise can be adapted in some way to be used with a weight to add extra resistance.
    Its true what JaxMMA said "Why do people treat ab muscles as if they are different from other muscle groups?" Make sure you get adequate recovery between session otherwise you may lose out on your desired results. You wouldnt go to the gym and work your arms 7 days a week so why do that with your abs?