Simple critique of my plan please

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Master J, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

I know I'm unfit, but I think my muscles are fairly ok.

I'm getting into weight training, but I find I get tired early on. So now I have decided to do 2 exercises, 4 sets each. Reps would be in the less than 10, if not 10, range.

I have decided to do Olympic Lifts (or maybe sometimes just deadlifts), Bench press (close and normal grip), Bent over pull backs, squats (no rack tho) and some sit ups/crunches.

I'll pick 2 a day for each session.

Am I leaving out any important major areas? As I see it, I have work there on the legs, lower and upper back, chest, triceps and biceps, and shoulders.

Any opinions?

2. spirez

spirez Valued Member

If you're just getting into weights you should go through some sort of endurance phase first imo. It prepares the body by training the nervous system, strengthening ligaments and tendons, recruiting more motor units, developing the energy system, balancing your muscles etc.

You want a well rounded programme that covers all major muscle groups equally (legs, chest, back, shoulders, core) and isolation for arms, calfs etc

High reps, 12+ but no more than 20
    2-3 sets
    Use bout 2 thirds or less of your 1 rep max weight
    Low rest times around 1 minute between sets

I'd go for an all round programme at first and then you can begin to work in various split routines ie upper/lower body etc

For example

Twice per week you could do:

Squat
    Bench Press (use dumbells (of the same weight) if one side is stronger than the other)
    Bent-over row
    Standing shoulder press
    Deadlifts
    Incline flyes
    Pullups
    Bicep curls
    Cable pushdowns (triceps)
    Dorsal raises
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y03dkaK1O0]Jacknifes[/ame]

You could go for 2x12 reps for each exercise. With the pullups you can either just do 2 sets of as many as you can or use an assisted pullup machine.
    Stay away from any other machines though, apart from cables imo.

Make sure an instructor or trainer is around to check your technique so that you are working the muscles properly and avoiding injury.

You could even do them in a circuit format which is great for cardio too

Olympic lifts are a high intensity, technical exercise. Should be left out for a while until you are prepared

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  3. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

Thanks man, but Ive been doing weights on and off for a few years now. I just never did them properly I think.

I just never seem to be able to do more than 3 exercises with say 4 sets each. I just get tired. I'll take a look at your plan tho thanks!

4. gj5940

gj5940 Valued Member

sounds like your not eating enough food before you workout, try eating 30g of protein and 30-50g of complex carbs at least an hour an half before you workout. Also One exercise per body part is good just so you can give it your all on that movement rather than lots of exercises which will only fry you and decrease your recovery abilities if you want more help just ask I'm always around..

GJ :Angel: