Sidesplit Hamstring Problem

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pobeli, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Sometimes, when I do sidesplits I feel an awkward tingling/pulling sensation in the back of my right leg, slightly above my knee. It feels kind of like my hamstring is rubbing against a bone or something, and it's quite annoying. I can't figure out what's causing it, and it's holding back my progress. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

By the way, for those of you who use different names for these things, by sidesplits I mean straddle splits, with legs out to my side.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

3. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Thanks, that could be it. However, I find it strange that I only every get it in my right leg, when my right hamstring is more flexible than my left. I think my adductors may be more flexible than my hamstrings though, so that's probably the reason. I always precede my adductor stretching with hamstring stretches, so should I just spend more time stretching out my hamstrings before doing my sidesplits? Or should I just stop stretching my adductors entirely until my hamstrings are up to par? My sidesplits are about 7 inches off the ground when I'm fully warmed up and stretched out, but my front splits are roughly a foot off the ground on both sides.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

This is taken from Brad Appleton's infamous Stretching guide ...
    You may want to give this a good read
    http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_5.html

5. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Thanks KickChick.

I usually stretch my hamstrings, quads/hip flexors, etc. one leg at a time, but I'm not really sure how to go about stretching my adductors one at a time. The "sidesplit with bent legs" stretch sounds great for taking the hamstrings out of the equation, but I find that I can't really make it very intense. Butterfly stretches don't work very well for me anymore because my feet just won't go in any farther, and I can't get much of a stretch out of it anymore.

6. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

It sounds like you are talkinga about the Sartorius/Gracilis tendon.
    Does your leg hurt when you sit with legs appart and stretch toward the right leg or stretch forward?

7. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

MA stretch will stretch the adducor of one leg and hamstring of the other (sort of)